Timing Is Everything

Puppy Dog

“Audrey! Looking sexy girl!” Chloe commented while sipping on her rum and fruit juice concoction.

I finished applying my lipstick, fixing around the edges of my lips. I glanced down at my tight, red knee length dress and grin. “Of course, gotta show these New England boys what the islands have to offer.”

“I hate you and your naturally gorgeous tan.” Vivianne pouted. “It’s been like a month since the summer and I’m as pale as paper again.”

“Don’t blame me hun, blame genetics.” I bent down to slip on my heels. “Hawaiian and Filipino are on a whole ‘nother level compared to Irish and French. Where’s Olivia? Is she still getting ready?”

“She’s down the hall, talking to a few other girls on the dance team. We’re going out with them tonight and she wanted to double check where the team is going.” Chloe said while curling the light ash blonde hair that frames her face. I took a big gulp from my Jack and Coke as I checked my phone. “She mentioned yesterday that one of the older girls on the team is dating a bouncer at some club, so we’ll have a way in even if our fakes don’t work out.”

“These damn things better work. If not, and by some way the bouncer doesn’t work out, I got us a way in.” Vivianne smirked as she fixed the top of her dress. Vivianne had the largest chest out of all of us, and she used it to her advantage at times.

“Ladies! Let’s get this show on the road!” Olivia exclaimed coming into the room. “The girls from the dance team are about ready to leave.”

We grabbed our bags as Olivia poured us all a round of shots. “One more before we head out! And a toast, to all the sexy bitches in this room right now!” She laughed passing us our shots. “To us!” We clinked glasses and knocked them back, letting the alcohol burn down our throats.

“Alright, no more brown liquor for me tonight. I’ll get a little too frisky with people if I keep drinking it.” I joked walking out the door.

“Honey, that’s exactly why you need to keep drinking brown liquor tonight!” Olivia laughed as she slung an arm around my shoulders, guiding us down the hallway.

---------

The four of us danced to the music playing in the club as our lips sang the words. Chloe finished her drink and whispered something to Vivianne, only to have her shake her head in return.

“Either of you looking to get another drink?” Chloe directed the question to Olivia and me. Olivia shook her head while I finished the rest of my drink and gave her a nod. “‘Atta girl! Let’s roll!”

She grabbed my hand as we weave our way to the bar, keeping our eyes open for any open space to stand by the bar. Chloe rushed forward and dragged me to an empty space. She pulled out some cash and leaned over the bar to get the attention of the male bartender. When he looked her way, she gave him the most dazzling smile that she could muster. She told him our orders then turned to me, “You get the next round, yeah?” I nodded my head as I adjusted my dress a little. “You see any guys tonight, Aud?”

My head leaned back as I laughed, “Haven’t seen any but the night is still young.” She nodded her head in agreement and grabbed the newly made drinks. She found an opening in the large group of people and jutted her body forward. As I followed her, I felt a hand slide into mine. I glanced down at the other hand then to the person it belongs to. I raised my eyebrow as I came face to face with a tall smirking male, his brown hair peeking out from under his backwards cap.

“Can I help you?” I asked, lifting our hands a little.

“Yeah, you can start by telling me your name.” His gaze trailed up my body as he spoke.

“And if I don’t?”

“Well, I’ll just have to follow you around like a lost puppy until you do.” He confidently leaned closer to me and I raised an eyebrow.

I dragged my eyes up and down his body as the alcohol answered for me. “Follow me this way then, puppy dog.” I turned around with his hand still in mine and started walking to where I previously saw my friends. As I got closer to the group, they threw me looks of confusion. “Look at what followed me from the bar, a cute puppy dog.” I stopped next to Chloe and took my drink from her. I took a big sip as I looked to the brunette male who was still holding my hand.

“Where can I find me a puppy dog like him?” Vivianne softly whispered to Olivia, who nodded her head in return.

“Nice find, Aud. So what’s your name puppy dog?” Chloe asked as she sips her drink.

“Aud? Interesting name. I’m Tyler. And you ladies are…”

“Vivianne, Olivia, Chloe, and Audrey, my friends call me Aud.” I pointed out the girls respectively as I called their names.

“Are we friendly enough for me to call you Aud?” He joked.

“No.” I took another sip of my drink. “Not yet.”
-----------
“You still call me puppy dog.” Tyler comments, leaning back into the couch taking another big gulp.

“You still follow me around like one.” I counter taking a big gulp myself.

“I like watching you go.” He smirks as he extends an arm behind me on the couch.