Timing Is Everything

Sleeping Beauty

I was drunk. My dancing and constant flow of compliments probably gave it away. Jordie stuck to my side the entire night, making sure I was never left alone. He and Jamie even took turns waiting outside the bathroom for me when I had to go. Tyler spent most of the night hanging out with me but he did wander off every so often to hang out with some of the other players. I was goofily dancing with Kris Letang and Flower when Jordan Staal came over with another round of shots.

As soon as my hand wrapped around one, the glass was taken from my hand. I followed the hand and saw Tyler giving me a look and shaking his head. I pouted and reached for the glass.

“Tyyyyyy.” I didn’t want to sound like an annoying drunk girl but I couldn’t help it, I was being an annoying drunk girl. “Give me back my drink!”

“Come on Aud, you’ve had enough.” He raised the glass out of my reach and I huffed, crossing my arms. There was no way I was getting that glass, and it wasn’t because I was too drunk, I was too short to reach it.

“You’re a party pooper.”

“You’ve already had a lot, and your brother will actually kill me if anything happens to you.” He handed the shot over to someone else. “If anything was to happen, I don’t think I could ever forgive myself. So, enough for tonight, alright?”

I looked him in the eyes then sighed and nodded my head. I took the water that Jamie offered me and took a few big gulps. Just before I finished my water, I grabbed Jamie and Tyler’s hands as I exclaimed, “I love this song.” Kesha’s “C’Mon” played through the bar and I made every hockey player dance with me. By the end of the song, a wave of exhaustion washed over me. I sat down on the couch in the VIP area and leaned my head back on the couch. I turned my head to the side to see the person that plopped down next to me, Paul Martin.

“You feeling okay Audrey?” He asked, concern written all over his face.

“I’m not gonna lie, I’m super drunk and I just got really tired.” He laughed at my answer. “I think I’m officially done for the night.” I laid my head on his shoulder and he wrapped his arm around shoulders.

“Do you want me to tell Tyler and he can take you home?”

“Nah.” I paused. “I can just call my brother to get me or take a cab or something.”

“I don’t think Ty would like the idea of letting his girlfriend take a cab back home.”

I lifted my head off of his shoulder and looked at him confused. “Ty’s not my boyfriend.”

He stared at me for a bit. “So you guys really aren’t dating?” I shook my head. “So Tyler wasn’t lying about that.” He mumbled to himself. “Do you mind me asking why? I don’t mean to pry but you two kind of act like you’re a couple. Well, not one of those lovey-dovey honeymoon stage kind of couples, more like a Lily and Marshall of ‘How I Met Your Mother’ kind of couple.”

I lightly laughed at his description of Ty and I. “Tyler and I are not dating, nor have we dated. We have been through a lot though, we actually stopped talking for a few months. Things have just gotten back to somewhat normal.”

He nodded his head. “You still didn’t answer why you guys aren’t dating.”

I sighed. I was hoping he wouldn’t ask further. “Ty and I started off as...” I paused, trying to think of a good term, “...romantic interests, I guess you could say. But as time went on, we realized both of us weren’t on the same page. We didn’t want to stop talking so we figured being friends would have to do. And that’s that.”

“Tyler wasn’t ready, was he?”

I snorted. “You could say that.”

Paul shook his head and rubbed my shoulder. “It’s alright hun, I’m sure he’s kicking himself every day because of it.”

“I wouldn’t be so sure.” Paul followed my line of sight and saw Tyler flirting with some girl.

“He’s young, he thinks he’s hot shit. It happens to us all, some of us get out of the phase a little quicker than others. Take Nealer for instance, he’s still in that phase.” Paul laughed, pointing to James flirting with with a few girls. “Who knows when he’ll leave it.”

“You may be right.” I paused to check my phone. “Well at least I got Kyle.” Did I say that out loud?

“Kyle?” Fuck, I said that out loud.

“This guy that I’m talking to from school. He’s quite fantastic, very gentleman-like, and he’s an awesome cook!” I began to smile as I told Paul a little more about Kyle. “He’s different, but I like it.”

Paul sent me a smile and rubbed my shoulder. “That’s great to hear. Don’t let yourself get hung up on anyone, alright? Just enjoy life.” I took the glass of water that he handed me and nodded my head before drinking some water. He waved over Jamie and Jordie when they passed by, gesturing towards my drunk figure.

“Jordie, I’m tired.” He took the glass out of my hands and placed it on the table. Jamie grabbed my purse and made sure everything was in it before slipping it under his arm. The Benn brothers helped me up, off the couch and out of the VIP area. As I got my bearings, Jamie made his way over to Tyler and Jordie spoke with Paul. “I’m sleepy Jordie.” I leaned my body against his, and laid my head on his chest since I was too short to reach his shoulder.

He wrapped an arm around my waist and pressed a gentle kiss to my forehead. “Don’t worry Hawaii, once Jamie gets Tyler we’ll get you to your brother.”

I shook my head lightly. “No, he’s busy, can we go?” Drunk, tired me is not about to wait for Ty to get some girl’s number. If I don’t get a bed soon, I will need to be carried back. “I wanna go now, I'm getting sleepy.” I closed my eyes and snuggled a little more in Jordie’s chest, wishing for a bed to sleep in.

“How about the two of us step outside and flag down a cab for everyone? How does that sound?” I nodded my head to Jordie’s suggestion. We said goodbye to whoever we passed on our way out. Beau stopped me from leaving, claiming I had to give him a hug before I left. When he wrapped his arms around me in an embrace and swayed me from side to side, I began to drift closer to falling asleep in his arms.

What felt like minutes later, I woke up to find myself curled into Tyler’s side in the backseat of a cab. His arm was around my shoulders and his hand was gently drawing random shapes on my arm. When he felt me stir, he looked down at me, a small smile gracing his face.

“Hey there Sleeping Beauty.” He glanced at his phone. “We should be at your brother’s place soon, okay?”

I nodded and adjusted my head on his shoulder.

“Why didn't you tell me that you wanted to go, Aud?”

“‘Cause.” I yawned.

“‘Cause what?”

“You were busy with that girl.” For a brief moment, he stopped drawing shapes on my arm.

He sighed and continued drawing shapes. “That doesn't matter Aud, you come before any other girl, remember that.”

That was the last thing I heard before sleep overtook me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Two jobs and a summer class can really take a lot out of you. Thank you for your patience!