Timing Is Everything

The Beginning of the Metaphorical End

“You want me to meet Kyle?”

“Well, yeah.” I knew I shouldn’t have brought it up to Tyler. “I thought since you’re one of my best friends, specifically my best guy friend, that you should met him when you visit.”

His hesitation worried me. “You want me to meet Kyle, your boyfriend?”

“Yes.” I took a deep breath. Please don’t freak out on me, please don’t freak out on me, please don’t freak out on me. “Ty?”

“Okay, I’ll meet him.” I heard some ruffling on the other end. “But I can’t promise anything, Aud. If I don’t like him, I’m gonna let you and him know.”

“I can respect that. How’s everything going with the team?” I changed the subject to avoid any fight that could’ve possibly ensued.

“Things are going well, nothing too crazy. So am I gonna be spending the whole weekend with you and Kyle or am I allowed to hang out with just you?” The edge in his voice did not go unnoticed.

I rolled my eyes. “I don’t spend all of my time with him, Tyler. Just because he and I are dating doesn’t mean that everything I do has to involve him. Look, I gotta go. I’m meeting up with Izzy to study for a test.” I hung up before he could respond.

-------------

“So wine now?” I ask, nudging Tyler with my arm. “You promised me wine TyTy.” I shake his arm and slowly slump onto his shoulder. He lays his head on top of mine.

“We didn’t even start Part 8 yet Audrey-rey. Once we get half way we’ll drink wine. You still have to finish the drink that you have right now.”

I pout, pick up my cup and take a big gulp. He places a kiss on my forehead. “By the way, this is Part 8: The Beginning of the Metaphorical End. Sometimes known as ‘Attempting to Adult.’”


-----------------

Practice was over and I made my way to the locker room. I tossed my helmet into my stall and sat down. I ran a hand over my face and leaned back.

“You okay Ty?” Jamie asked. “You didn’t seem like yourself on the ice.”

I looked up at him and shook my head. I began to remove my skates.

“Seriously Ty, what’s up man? I’m not asking as your captain, I’m asking as your friend. Tell me what’s wrong.”

“She wants me to meet her boyfriend.”

“Who?”

“Audrey.” I paused and roughly removed my practice jersey. “She wants me to meet her new boyfriend, Kyle, when I visit her.”

“And you’re upset because?”

I stared at him. “Did you not hear me?”

“I heard you Ty. Audrey, one of your best friends, wants you, one of her best friends, to meet her boyfriend.” He paused to choose his words carefully. “I get that you’re upset but the two of you are just friends. You two aren’t dating, didn’t date previously, you don’t have some weird pact to start dating. At least, as far as I know you don’t. I don’t mean to be an asshole about it, but you don’t exactly have the right to be upset like this.”

I went to stand up but Jamie grabbed my arm and made me sit back down.

“I understand that she means a lot to you and that you mean a lot to her but you’re not the only person in Audrey’s life. You aren’t in control of her life; she’s gonna do what she wants, with who she wants, when she wants. Maybe you should do the same.” He let go of my arm. “Move on man, or stay in your own pity party.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Life has been hectic, thank you to everyone for your patience as these chapters slowly come out! Also, thanks for taking the time to read my story!