Timing Is Everything

Insurance Policy

“This is our jam!” Olivia exclaimed grabbing my arm and dancing against me, pulling me away from Tyler. Remix to Ignition by R. Kelly started playing and we belted out all the words while dancing like fools.

Chloe and Vivianne laughed and joined our singing but not as loudly. Tyler watched in amusement as another guy came up to him. They clasped hands and did that “manly-bro” hug that guys do and began to talk. A few more guys made their way over to the two as the song ended and then changed to Motivation by Kelly Rowland.

Vivianne came over, throwing a wink my way before grabbing my hips and sensually dancing with me. Chloe caught on, strutting over to the 3 of us. I glanced over at Tyler and caught him and his friends staring at our group. I bit my lip to stop myself from smirking as we continued to dance. Knowing that eyes were trained on us, Vivianne put on even more of a show, bending backward until she was parallel with the floor. Olivia jokingly catcalled Vivianne as she slowly stood upright.

“I think it’s about time you reeled in your man.” Olivia nudged me toward Tyler’s approaching body. The other girls dispersed to find their own dance partners.

I walked in Tyler's direction and he wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me close to his body. He leaned his head down so that our foreheads were touching. We danced the rest of the night, our bodies remaining in contact the entire time.

-------

I felt someone tap my shoulder and when I turned around, I saw Chloe nodding her head in the direction of the exit. I answered her with a nod of my own.

“You leaving me already?” Tyler asked, his hands on my hips.

“Gotta head back to my friend’s room so I can claim a decent place to sleep.” I joked, leaning back to look up at him.

“If you’re looking for a nice, comfy bed, I got one back at my place.”

“Sorry puppy dog, I go home from clubs and bars with the people I come with.”

“That’s respectable. Can’t blame a guy for trying.” He smirked as I pat his chest.

I turned around as I hear Chloe call my name, “Looks like our time is up. I had fun tonight puppy dog.” I stood on my tippy toes to place a kiss on his cheek. As I pulled away from his face, I winked at him and headed toward the door. I reached my friends outside as they hailed a cab. Just as I was getting into the cab, someone grabbed hold of my arm.

“Wait! I wanna see you again.” Tyler’s usually confident face was replaced with a slightly embarrassed yet hopeful one.

“I’ll be here all weekend.” I gently removed my arm from his grasp, entered the cab, closed the door behind me. I rolled down the window and leaned out slightly as Olivia informed the cab driver where to go.

“How will I contact you? I don’t have your number.” Tyler placed a hand on top of the cab and leaned closer to my face.

“My people will contact your people.” Smirking at his confused expression, I grabbed his face and kissed his lips. After the initial shock subsided, he went to move his hands on top of mine to deepen the kiss but I pulled away. As the cab driver prepared to drive off, I snatched the cap off Tyler’s head and placed it on my own, winking at him. “A little insurance policy.”

Before he could question what I meant, the cab drove off, leaving him alone on the sidewalk.

-------
~Tyler~

I stared at the spot where the cab used to be as I felt a hand clasp my shoulder.

“Hey Ty, what are you doing out here man? I thought you were still inside getting cozy with that girl in the red dress.”

“I fucked up Brad.” He gave me a confused look and I explained what just happened.

Brad stared at me with an almost unreadable expression. He exhaled and shook his head, "You're an idiot."


--------

“I remember being so confused yet completely drawn in by you by that entire night.” Tyler laughs, refilling his empty glass. “I don’t think I’ve ever been so captivated by a girl in a such a short amount of time.”

“I’m just that good.” I jokingly reply, downing the rest of my glass before nodding at his to refill it.

“And I was so fucking pissed at myself for letting you go like that. In my head, all I could think was: ‘Nice one Ty, you fucked up. No number, no nothing. You let her go. You. Fucking. Let. Her. Go. Goddamnit.”