Timing Is Everything

Lack Of Game

“Aud, do you realize who you were dancing with the entire night?” Olivia asked as we enter the elevator of Chloe and her dorm building. I looked at her confused and she continues, “Tyler Seguin. He was the 2nd overall pick in the 2010 NHL draft, drafted by the Boston Bruins, who I might add, recently won the Stanley Cup.” We followed Chloe as she led us to their dorm room and unlocked the door. “You kind of follow hockey, I thought you would’ve known.”

“I didn’t really pay a lot of attention last year because of school and all my family stuff.” My Lola (grandma in Tagalog, a Filipino dialect) fell very ill this past year and she needed constant care. She had to move from the Philippines and live with my family in New Jersey. And by my family, I mean my parents and me. My 3 older brothers were either working and living on their own or away at college. My senior year was busy with college applications, last minute SAT tests, senior events, proms, formals, finishing high school with honors, and caring for my Lola. “And thanks to Jack, my team is the Penguins. It has been for like the past 10 years, my love for them will never falter. And let’s be real, Crosby will always have my heart.”

“I always forget that your oldest brother went to college in Pittsburgh, but then again I kinda forget that he exists outside of your family photos since we only see him like twice a year, if that.” Chloe stated already in her pajamas and removing her makeup.

“My point is, you reeled in one hell of a catch tonight.” Olivia said while helping Vivianne with the air mattress.

“You’re one to talk, weren’t you getting a little more than friendly with one of his friends?” I smirked at her. She tried to hide her smile and let her hair fall in her face. “So you spill!”

“He’s not a Bruin but he is a friend of Tyler’s.” Before we could interrogate her anymore, she grabbed her pajamas and scurried into their adjoining bathroom and shut the door.

I rolled at my eyes at her and finished getting ready for bed. “She got his friend’s number right?”

Vivianne nodded, “Yeah, the two of them exchanged numbers just before we exited the club.”

“Good, I kinda need some way to get in touch with Tyler this weekend before I leave. I did take his hat as an excuse to see him again.”

“She’s got you. And I’m pretty sure a senior on the dance team was gettin’ real friendly with another Bruin so you’ll see him again. The weekend is still young, it is only Thursday night.” Chloe said tossing a pillow my way. “I guess technically Friday morning, but that’s just a minor detail.”

-----------------

“Thanks to Olivia and another girl on the dance team, I saw Tyler again that weekend.” I scratch behind Cash’s ears. “Actually, I saw him every day that weekend.” I laugh.

“She just couldn’t get enough of all of this.” Tyler gestures towards his body and sends a wink to the camera.

“Never do that again.” Laughing, I cover Cash and Marshall’s eyes. “Especially in front of the children.”

He sends a kiss my way right before he takes a gulp of his drink. “I say we do another shot.”

“I wanna finish this cup first before I consider another shot. And I need to pee,” I respond, going to stand up. I steady myself and place a hand on the armrest of the couch. “Wow, this is starting to really hit me. Damn my small bladder.”

“You need help babe? Or you got it?’”

“I just need a minute and then I should be good to move for the bathroom.”

“Just don’t pull a Kasey and fall in the toilet.” He laughs referring to the time our one friend, Kasey, didn’t check if the seat was down and drunkenly fell right into the disgusting toilet at the bar that we were at. “Love you Kase!” He waves at the camera, still laughing.


------------------------

"Some seniors on the dance team are having a party tonight and we're going." Chloe stated looking up from her phone. "Looks like Jenna and Adam from the Bruins are keen on seeing each other soon rather than later."

"Is it an actual party? Or like a pregame party? Cause last time it was a pregame party." Olivia asked taking a bite of her pasta dinner.

"Pregame party, Jenna has a new dress that she wants to wear and show herself off."

"And I was hoping for some rest from heels." I pouted, sipping my lemonade.

"Hun, you gotta doll yourself up tonight too!" Vivianne said smiling, "I'm sure a certain Bruin wants his hat back."

I rolled my eyes as she winked at me. "How can you be so sure that he'll be there?"

"Girl, trust me. Hell or high water, he will be there looking sexy as ever for you." She smirked at me.

---------------------------

Full cup in hand, I looked around the apartment hoping to see a certain tall brunette. With no luck, I rejoined the conversation going on next to me.

"He'll be here Aud, don't worry." Chloe reassured me before taking a sip of her drink.

Time continued to pass and still no sign of Tyler or Jenna's Bruin, Adam. With only a few minutes until we left for the club, my hope began to dwindle. As I was getting another drink in the kitchen, I heard a multitude of new voices come from the hallway by the front door. Peaking my head into the hallway, I saw the special guests of the night.

I bit my lip when I saw Tyler in his fitted black v-neck and dark wash jeans. Before he saw me, I made my way over to my friends on the other side of the living room. I nudged Vivianne and look back to the doorway. She glanced over to see Tyler and sent a smile my way.

“Well, what do you know? The puppy dog found its way back to you, Aud.” Vivianne said loud enough for Tyler to hear her. He turned his head in our direction and a big smile appeared on his face.

He made his way over with a drink in hand. “Good to see you again. I guess your people did get in touch with my people.”

“I told you they would.” I softly laughed.

“Does that mean I’ll get my ‘insurance policy’ back?”

“Depends on how the night goes puppy dog.”

------------------

I spent the rest of the night, more or less, attached to Tyler. As he spoke to his friend, Adam, I leaned over to Vivianne and asked her to get a drink with me. She nodded her head and grabbed my hand as I began to lead her to the closest bar.

After ordering our drinks, she turned to me and smirked. “You and puppy dog are lookin’ pretty comfy tonight.” I shrugged my shoulders in reply. “Oh, come on Aud. Give me something, anything! While I’m thoroughly enjoying Tyler practically answering to your every beck and call, I wanna know what you’re thinking!”

“He’s extremely hot, that’s obvious.” I laughed. “I don’t know, I only met him yesterday. It’s a bit too early to really tell. Yeah, I’m attracted to him and I’m having a lot of fun but like I’m only here for this weekend. I’m trying not to overthink anything right now.”

“Fine, fine. I’ll drop the subject.” She pouted handing my drink to me. “For now.”

I shook my head as we walked back. When we reached the group, I noticed Tyler was missing. I looked around for him and when I couldn’t find him, I turned to hear what Olivia was talking about.

A little while later, a muffled voice sounded behind me. I turned around hoping to see Tyler but was met with an unfamiliar brunette. I gave the man a confused look after not hearing what he said. He stepped closer to me and leaned so that his lips were by my ear.

“A gorgeous girl like you should be spending time with an attractive guy like me.” I watched as he pulled his lips into a smirk.

“Sorry, I’m not interested.” I leaned away from him and Chloe grabbed my hand, gently pulling me toward her. “I just wanna spend time with my friends.”

“If you give me the time, we can be friends, maybe even more.”

“I told you before, I’m not interested. Have a good night.” I began to turn to walk away.

“Look babe, I-”

“She’s not interested man, just leave her alone.” The voice behind him said. I looked behind the man to see Tyler and a few of his friends.

“What? Are you her boyfriend?”

“No, but why does that matter? She said she’s not interested and you should respect that.”

The man narrowed his eyes at Tyler before walking off. Without any warning, Chloe shoved me straight into Tyler’s body. “Hi, um thanks for that.”

He shrugged his shoulders a little. “It’s no problem.” He smiled at me. “It’s getting pretty late, we should probably head out.” He grabbed my hand and leads me to the door. I glanced back to see my friends following.

When we reached the sidewalk outside of the club, Olivia walked to the curb with one of Tyler’s friends to hail a few cabs.

“Sooooo since you and I technically came here together, what are your thoughts on leaving with me?” He questioned, a cheeky smile creeping onto his face.

Chuckling, I told him, “Well puppy dog, I’d say yes only if you plan on going back to BU’s campus to drop me off at Chloe and Olivia’s dorm.”

He laughed and nodded his head. “Alright, alright. Will I see you again at least?”

“What are your plans for the rest of the weekend?”

“Well I got practice tomorrow and a game tomorrow night if you’re interested in hockey? I can get some tickets for you and your friends.”

“Yeah, I’d like that. That’d be fun.” I smiled at him. He smiled back, nodding his head. We stared at each other for some time before I eventually broke the silence. “You know, now would be a great time to ask for my number so you can ‘let me know when the tickets are ready slash where to get them.’”

With his cheeks tinted pink, he proceeds to ask for my number. After exchanging numbers, I looked over to my friends to see a cab stopping in front of them.

“I’ll see you tomorrow puppy dog.” I told him before I left a kiss on his cheek.

------------

“My game was total shit back then. I’m like 60% sure girls only liked me for my body.”

“Just 60%? Really? That’s all?” I joke, dodging his hand from pushing me.

“So rude.”

“But you love it.”
♠ ♠ ♠
My classes and work have really picked up. I figured a lot now may be better than 2 mini fillers later on.