Timing Is Everything

Crazy Dog People

“What time is the game tonight?” Vivianne asked as she looked through Olivia’s closet space in search for “cute hockey game shoes.”

“It starts at 7:30 but I wanna get there early, scope out the seats, and maybe try and catch some pregame warm ups.”

“So you wanna see Tyler stretching all over the ice, got it.” Chloe joked while looking up from her laptop.

I rolled my eyes at her but smiled. “Like you wouldn’t mind watching guys stretch on the ice. And stop doing homework! It’s the weekend and Viv and I are visiting.”

“I’m sure the future children that you teach won’t mind if you relaxed this weekend. Go call up Connor or something.” Olivia added as she painted her nails.

“Who’s Connor and why have we not been informed?” Viv asked plopping down next to Chloe on her bed.

“He’s just some guy I have class with.” We waited for her to continue. “He’s in two of my core classes and we recently started a little study group for the classes that we’re in. He’s really nice and we’re friends, I guess.”

“Just friends?”

“Yes, just friends. I only really see him in class and in our study group. Once in a blue moon I’ll bump into him on campus or see him off campus. Its no big deal, relax guys.” She laughed as she stood up. “Now let’s explore Boston a bit more before the game, yeah?”

-----------------

“I see him! He’s over there!” Olivia excitedly tugged on my arm, pointing out onto the ice.

I wasn’t expecting the seats to be so close to the ice, or even so close to the Bruins’ bench, but I should have gotten a hint when Tyler texted me about the seats earlier. I shouldn’t have waved off his description of “prime seating.” I looked over to where Olivia was pointing and noticed a certain brunette stretching on the ice. He looked over and waved at us with a big smile on his face. I waved back, smiling as Viv continued to nudge my side repeatedly. When Tyler looked away and brought his focus back to the ice, I smacked Viv’s arm and gave her a look.

After the puck dropped, the rest of the game was filled with cheering and explaining the game to Viv. Chloe and Olivia had a basic understanding of hockey while Viv was clueless, every step forward was followed by two steps back. Trying to explain hockey to Viv was the equivalent of trying to teach an 80 year old how to use their new cell phone, it just wasn’t working.

When the game ended, we stayed seated and waited for the stadium to clear out. A few minutes passed and a security guard came over to us. “Are you Miss Audrey?” I nodded my head, confused. “Please follow me this way.”

We collected our belongings and followed the guard to a room near the Bruins’ locker room. Looking around the room, I mostly saw women and children, who I assumed were the families of players. I suddenly felt very out of place in the room; I wasn’t a family member or a girlfriend. I was just some girl that Tyler met two days ago in a club and yet here I was with my friends, surrounded by the team’s families and closest friends.

Before I could dwell much further on the awkwardness that I was feeling, a familiar brunette sauntered over with a big smile on his face. When he reached me, he wrapped his arms around me in a hug and said hello to my friends.

As he pulled away, the feeling of warmth left with him. “How did you like the game?” He asked, unable to wipe the smile off his face. “Did you see my goal?”

I smiled in return. “The game was awesome, though I did spend most of it explaining everything to Viv.” She gave him a sheepish grin and he laughed. “And your goal was amazing!”

“Thanks, when I got someone to impress I gotta step up my game right?” A cheeky smirk adorned his face as I bit my lip to try and hide my smile. “What are your plans for tonight?”

I paused as I raked my brain for any plans that I or my friends may have made. No plans came to mind and I told him just that.

“I’m having some guys from the team and some friends over, you and your friends should join us.”

Before I could get a word out, Olivia butted into the conversation. “Give us a time and place and we'll be there.”

-------------------------

It was well past midnight and Tyler and I were deep in conversation on his couch. We were passed the initial "getting to know you" questions and reached a topic we were both really passionate about: dogs.

"I grew up with a bunch of dogs always roaming the house too! I'm actually thinking about getting a dog myself, I'm thinking a Lab."

“Labs are best! Back home I have this chocolate Lab, Lexi, she can be such a diva but I love her. My first dog ever was an American Staffordshire Terrier that I named Pluto. ” I laughed. “If I could have a pet, other than a fish, in my dorms, I’d definitely get a dog. I’d love to have another Amstaff or a Lab. I’ve already accepted that I’m gonna be a crazy dog lady.”

He laughed with me, and agreed. “Don’t worry, I’ll probably be a crazy, old, senile man with more dogs than I have years of life. And I’ll be such a pushover for all of them.”

Before I could respond, Viv grabbed my attention. “Hey Aud, I don’t mean to interrupt but it’s getting late and Olivia has dozed off on Freddy at least half a dozen times by now. Plus, you and I are heading out tomorrow.”

“Shit, I didn’t even realize the time! I’m so sorry!”

“I can take you guys home.” Tyler offered as he stood up and stretched his body. “It’s too late for you guys to catch a cab and I did get you guys here.”

We followed Tyler out to his car and once in the car, Olivia gave in to sleep. The drive to Chloe and Olivia’s dorm was relatively short and just as we reached the lobby area and empty welcome desk, Tyler called my name. I told the rest of the girls to go ahead and I turned to see Tyler walking toward me.

With his hands stuffed in his pockets, he looks to me and catches my eye. “So you leave tomorrow huh?”

“Yeah, my train for Penn leaves at 2pm.” I pushed my hair behind my ear and looked down at my vans.

“I’m gonna see you again, right? I mean you’re gonna come back to visit Boston and see me, right?” I smiled at the hopeful look in his eye and nodded my head. He returned the smile and went to hold my hands. “This weekend was a lot of fun. I’m glad I met you.” His thumb traced patterns on the backs of my hands.

“I’m glad I met you too. This little trip to Boston was definitely worth it.”

He leaned down and his lips met mine. Our kiss was gentle and innocent as we relished in the feeling of each other’s lips. We pulled apart and he headed toward his car. I waved to him as he pulled away from the building then I made my way to Chloe and Olivia’s dorm room.

-----------------

“Such a cute happy ending right? Wrong.” Tyler points at the camera. “That was only part 1, this saga is like a 10-parter. So grab another drink and get comfortable everybody!”