From Now on We're Enemies

Restart

Still I'd trade all my tomorrows for just one yesterday


Wednesday

She sat on the edge of the bed drumming her fingers on the sheets. She was anxious to say the least. Would she be able to just fit in to her previous life like she had before now that she'd lost some of her memories? Or would she forget simple things like where she worked or the code to her alarm or how to cook pasta?!

Imagine a world where you couldn't remember how to cook pasta.

Unthinkable.

Wednesday's legs kicked out, offering a soft thud when they returned to the side of the bed. It had been around this time when he'd visited yesterday, right? Or was she wrong? Maybe he'd forgotten... or maybe he'd been joking.

The soft knock at the open door brought her gaze up to that of the stranger's from yesterday. He wasn't something she'd complain about having to look at every day but, at the same time, there was something off about him. Like she was missing something important.

"Hey."

"Hey."

He grinned at her from the doorway and inclined his head towards the hall behind him. "What d'ya say we get you out of here?"

She made a visible show of pretending to mull it over before dropping back flat on the bed when she reached her conclusion. "Nah, I think I'll stay. I mean, meals everyday that I don't have to cook? Friendly people who do all my housework for me? Why would I ever want to leave?" she joked, covering her eyes with her arms.

"Fine by me. I'll see you around then." The guy replied, pushing himself from the doorway and turning to leave.

"God, fine. If you're going to be so persistent I guess I'll just have to leave then." Wednesday groaned and stood up, looking around for anything she might have missed... not that she really had a lot. She was wearing all the clothes she had here and the rest was in a little bag.

After a last look back, she pushed past her visitor and took off down the hall, not waiting for him to catch up.

"No, no, after you." he mumbled from behind but it wasn't long before he'd caught up to her. "Do you want me to take your bag?"

"I'm perfectly capable, thank you."

"I was just trying to be nice."

"Liar, we both know you just wanted to go through my stuff."

"Hey, why would I need to do that? I already went through it all when I visited before." he joked but his grin quickly dropped when he noticed her watching him again. She hadn't realised he'd been to visit her....

"How many times have you visited me?"

"Every day since I brought you in." he admitted much to her horror. How had she never known this before? Surely she couldn't have been asleep all those times before?!

"Every day?! What was I doing?"

"Sleeping. The first time you were awake but they had you hooked up to some heavy sedative to treat you for shock and bring you round slowly."

"Everytime? I was sleeping?!"

The stranger looked uncomfortable and she realised just how accusatory she'd made this sound. It wasn't that she wasn't grateful, simply that she couldn't imagine sleeping through that any visits when he'd made the effort to come and see her every day.

"Sorry."

"Don't be. I just can't believe I slept that much is all. I always used to be a light sleeper - had to be really. Sunday never woke up at her alarm so I alwa-" Wednesday trailed off, realising her mistake a bit too late but luckily he didn't press the matter, instead choosing the change the subject.

"Do you need to do anything before we leave? Or did you take care of it all before I arrived?"

"Did it all before you arrived. I've just got to shout bye to the nurse on reception before I leave so that she knows I've actually gone." Wednesday explained, more than grateful at the fact he'd not mentioned her slip. Her sister was still a sensitive subject for her, even if it had happened years ago.

But then losing a twin never was easy.

***

Pete

With a wave to the receptionist, the two left and headed for his car. There was still a feeling of slight unease at the mention of her sister but he didn't think he'd ever stop worrying about triggering those memories again. There was a reason he'd locked them up but, if she tried hard enough, they'd all come flooding out again in no time.

He barely noticed when she'd stopped after he'd pointed out his car but, upon realising, he turned around to find her scrutinizing the vehicle from a distance.

"Anything wrong?" he asked, fiddling with the keys in his hand while he waited for her to catch up.

"There doesn't appear to be a girl sized dint in your car." she mused, glancing at him from the corner of her eye. "You must have lied."

"Well, it was only a small dint... you are rather tiny after all."

"I'm tiny?! That's rich coming from you. Girls are meant to be short - you're just embarrassing."

"Y'know I think I preferred you when you were asleep."

"Likewise."

Pete rolled his eyes and opened the door for her not waiting for her to get in before he went to get in himself. But by the time he was buckled in and ready to go she was already fiddling with the seat, radio and anything else she could get her hands on. He raised an eyebrow and looked over to her, wondering how much more she was going to do before she finally got bored.

"Do you mind?"

"Not really." she chimed, flicking through the channels. It landed on a station playing one of Fall Out Boy's older songs and he slapped her hand away from the button before she could skip past.

"Leave it. I like this."

"Fine. Gosh, could've just said."

"You would have flicked past before I got the chance."

"You're right - hitting me was the be-"

"Where are we going?"

She stopped, clearly not impressed with being interrupted and folded her arms over her chest. "Excuse me?"

"Where are we going?" he asked again, slower this time. "You know... you're address? Could probably do with knowing that."

He knew it already, of course. He'd known it from the first day they found her, but he couldn't exactly just drive there could he? She'd get far too freaked out by that. People didn't tend to just know where other people lived, after all.

"Oh. Right. 2630 Ellis Avenue. Do you know where it is?"

"I can figure it out." he muttered, putting the car into first.

The drive was quiet for the most part, only broken by her asking some questions here and there but neither of them really pushed hard for conversation. She didn't know him and he was too busy wondering how long he could reasonably make the journey last before she got suspicious. But at the same time he had a deadline to meet.

They left as soon as he got back.

When they pulled onto her street, Pete glanced at her out of the corner of his eye to see if it had brought back any memories. But his memory wipe really was holding quite well and all he found was a girl looking out of the window at the passing houses.

It wasn't long now.

Wednesday

"So, do you often drive girls home after hitting them with your car?" she asked, shifting in her seat to look at him.

There was something odd and the more she looked at him the more confused she got. He was flawless. No freckles, moles, spots, blemishes or scars in sight. Everyone had one scar at least. But here was a complete stranger with nothing marking his skin except a few tattoos. That just didn't happen.

"Nah, usually I just drop them at the door of the hospital and run." Sure he made it sound like a joke but she could tell his heart wasn't in it. There was something more to this. Something she was missing.

"You seem the type. Any reason I was different?"

"Figured I should probably do a few good deeds to make up for the bad, right? Can't live completely as a rebel, after all. Too many girls would fall for me."

"Fall for you? I doubt that. I mean, have you seen you recently?" She pulled a disgusted face and turned to look out the window again, clearly teasing him but he didn't make a move to fight back.

Boring

When they pulled up in front of her house, Wednesday was suddenly met with the same realisation she was confronted by every time she saw the house - she was alone. She'd lived on her own for a while now but that didn't seem to make it any easier. In fact, the grief made her feel like it had only happened a few days ago.

Ridiculous, right?

"Here we are." It wasn't a comforting statement, nor was it a particularly happy one on his behalf but when she looked over at him again he was smiling as though nothing was wrong. "Do you need any help getting in?"

She still hadn't quite figured out what was different about him and now she was out of time.

"Nah, I'm a big girl, I think I can manage getting into my house on my own. But thanks anyway and thanks for the lift back, Pete. Even if you did hit me with your car."

"You're not going to let that go, are you?" he asked, clearly exasperated with her repeated mentioning of the probably quite worrying fake event.

"Nope. Not while it still bothers you." She grinned sweetly and pushed open the car door, swinging her legs out shortly after. "It's been nice meeting you. I'll see you around."

"You won't." he muttered under his breath but when she looked back to ask him about it he had already occupied himself with fiddling with the radio. But there was something about the look on his face which made her think this was a lot more painful for him than it should of been.

"Bye, Pete."

He looked up at her and smiled, offering a half wave in response. "Bye, Wednesday."

She smiled back and shut the door, heading up to her front door with the devastating knowledge that she'd never see him again.

That was the smile of someone who never intended to come back - someone who knew this would be the last time they spoke. Yet she couldn't shake the feeling they'd met before.

Pete

Pete waited until her front door had closed behind her before putting his foot down and speeding off. They had a time frame and, as usual, he was beginning to push it. But he knew his way back from here and there was no doubt he was going to make it in time.

He came to a stop in front of the base to find the others already loading the van up with their belongings. Pete and Andy in the van. Patrick and Joe in the car. Pulling himself out, Pete shoved his hands in his pockets and eyed the contents of the van carefully.

"Got the storage unit?"

"It was the first thing we put in there. Are you driving first?" Andy asked.

"Might as well. You can sleep while I drive and when the sun starts coming up we'll swap."

Pete had downright refused to sleep in a coffin - instead settling for something a little less conventional. His "bed" was made up of a metal locker-like cupboard, which he begrudgingly resided in during the daylight hours. It was one of the things he'd hated most about being changed but the others had been supportive and not made a big deal about having to adjust their lifestyles to meet his needs.

"Where are we heading to this time then?" he asked, directing the question to Patrick.

"I thought we could get out of state. There's been some reports in Ohio so I figured we could go check them out."

"Ohio, huh? Sounds fun."

"How was she?" Joe asked, sliding the box he'd been carrying as far back as he could.

"Okay. She was back to her usual self and had even taken to insulting me by the time I'd left her." Pete answered, shrugging it off as best he could.

"Height jokes by any chance?" Andy asked, doing his best to hide the smirk that was slowly forming on his face.

"Go fuck yourself, Hurley."

"Oops, looks like the small dog syndrome is firing up again." he joked, laughing slightly as Pete flipped him off. But Pete knew what he was trying to do and he was grateful for it really. It was like how it had been before - almost as though she hadn't existed.

Which, technically, she hadn't now.

"Right then, ladies. Shall we go?" Pete asked, heading towards the drivers side.

"Race you to the border?" Joe challenged, slamming the van doors shut.

"You're on."

They'd carry on with their lives. Things like this happened and this time would be no different. They were Hunters and, in reality, they had to accept that they were never going to have normal lives.

Not until the vampires were wiped out, that is.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so we've covered the events of the last chapter of 20 Dollar Nose Bleed and now we can continue with the actual story. Obviously it's based on the events of A Little Less Sixteen Candles (although now we're technically post-Sixteen Candles) but since they've released the Young Blood Chronicles now with Patrick's "possession", we may end up seeing some of that in here too.

Who knows.

One subscriber already - the pressure really is on now to make this good. Hope you enjoy it.