Forever 21

3-A thousand ships

I spent the next few days transforming Mildreds home into my own. It wasn’t hard as I had no worldly possessions. I simply sorted through hers, conjuring up what she didn’t have and discarding what I didn’t need. I donated what I knew would be helpful to someone somewhere and recycled the best I could, but it was a constant source of worry for me. What was becoming of the earth? I was condemned to an eternity here and it was being destroyed all around me. What would happen when there was nothing left but me…

I shook the thoughts from my head as easily as I shook the bag of recyclables into the appropriate bin behind the building. Dwelling on the future was pointless. If history taught me anything it was what goes around comes around. Its just the names and places that change. But if things ever got too bad, perhaps Mortimer was right. A new world order may be needed…

“Oh there you are.” The voice behind me would’ve startled me if I hadn’t already sensed him approaching. I glanced over my shoulder at Sean. He was clutching an over stuffed black trash bag in his one hand. I could faintly see the outline of a can protruding from the side.

“Recycling is mandatory here.” I nodded towards it and he blushed slightly embarrassed by my words.

“Oh um yeah… right.” He shifted a little, placing the bag by his feet before reaching into his back pocket. “This is for you.” He outstretched his hands towards me clutching some kind of envelope. I made no motion to take it from him. “It’s the rent.” He kinda chuckled.

I took it from him and peeked inside it. It was stuffed with some cash and I was glad. Meant I wouldn’t have to be bothered going to the bank and filling out more meaningless paper work. People are funny like that. They give you a check and you don’t cash it, you think they would count their good fortune and let it be, but no - it only causes them concern and they begin to poke around trying to figure out why…

“I hope cash is ok, I mean Mildred always took it.” He began to stammer and I nodded a little as I folded it up and slid it into my pocket. “Oh and um thanks with the water.” He added and I could see his eyes trying to inconspicuously run down my body once more.

“Hot enough for you.” I proposed and his cheeks flushed once more as he shifted his eyes nervously from me. “The water yes?” I took pity on him. Poor mortal boy that he was.

“Yeah it was great thanks.” He nodded excessively. I felt our conversation was done but he however desired the need to keep it going… “Um I don’t know if you’re gonna do anything else around here, but the place sure can use a new coat of paint or two.” He suggests and I just continued to stare at him shifting his weight a little. He was clearly uncomfortable by my steady gaze on him.

“Are you going to be home tomorrow?” I asked him and he paused a second almost as if he thought I was propositioning him for something.

“I have class all day but-.” He began to tell me and I spoke cutting him off before he could finish telling me what I knew he was going to say - that he had class all day but would be free all night if I wanted to get together…

“Leave your key in my mailbox and Ill send someone up.” I directed him and once more he stopped me from leaving.

“Hey don’t take this the wrong way but are you sure you’re related to Mildred?” He asked and I raised my eyebrow threateningly at him. “Im just saying you don’t look anything like her.” He added quickly and I leant forward so my hair swung into my face a little bit more.

“I was adopted.” I replied automatically. This wasn’t the first time I was challenged on my relations to the deceased.

“Ah I was gonna say.” he kinda chuckled but I didn’t. I just kept my eyes steady and focused on him.

“Is there anything else Sean?” I raised my tone slightly so if he just wasn’t getting it before he was now, I was done with him.

“No.” He mumbled and I shifted my gaze to the trash bag at his feet. We were still in front of the dumpsters and he certainly wasn’t going to leave it there. “Oh yeah.” He chuckled a little as he picked it up. “Um I guess Ill just sort this out huh.” He tried not to smile as he knelt down and struggled to undo the knot on the bag.

I didn’t say anything more to him. Just walked away leaving him alone there in the alley, feeling a strange sense of satisfaction. The power of beauty over men was not a new concept to me. From Nefertiti to Cleopatra and even Helen of Troy- wars were waged, empires grew and toppled because of women. And perhaps even though my face was not the one to launch a thousand ships, nor one which would cause Sean to wage war on the city of brotherly love- it was enough to get him to root through his garbage separating the tin cans in the alley now as the sun set overhead…