Forever 21

6-My Lovelies

Suddenly the outer door swung open and Sean stepped back into the doorway, the tension in the air between Mortimer and myself was undeniably thick still.

“I forgot my book.” He mumbled somewhat apologetically realizing he had interrupted us. And as he stepped past us and made his way up back up the stairs he paused and glanced back over at Mortimer, perhaps for no other reason then he didn’t see him enter the building.

Mortimer and I stood in silence as Sean’s heavy footsteps filled the staircase, becoming fainter and fainter as he ascended. Mortimer opened his mouth slightly as if he was going to begin to speak again and I held my finger up to silence him. The building was old and poorly insulated. I could not risk Sean overhearing, even faintly, our conversation. Mortimer seemed to understand and he impatiently shifted slightly pulling back the sleeve on his overpriced suit to check his equally excessively priced watch.

Some public defender he was. He looked more like a corporate lawyer then a civil servant. Unlike myself Mortimer could change his appearance and he indulged in fashioning himself to every lustful mortal desire. Standing nearly 6’2 with sharp features he practically dripped temptation. It was the dark magic he dabbled in that gave his otherwise plain brown eyes an entrancing quality. He would use his charismatic smile to lure you in. Lust, greed, and power. The three driving factors that kept the dark arts alive all these years.

“Nanu…” he whispered my name seductively and I smiled faintly amused as he leant into me. His charms had no effect on me. I could see right through him in the daylight. I knew what lied beneath his polished surface. I shifted my eyes and focused in on the aura around him. It was darker then the last time and this troubled me. “Perhaps we should continue this inside.” Mortimer nodded towards Mildreds apartment behind me.

“Perhaps another time.” I replied. Sean still had not returned and Mortimer’s patience had expired.

“Very well then.” His voice took on a different tone as he stood upright a bit taller straightening his tie out as he did it. “Midnight. Tomorrow. You know where…” He says as he began to fade before my eyes. I frowned as Sean’s footsteps filled the stairway, Mortimer’s voice still dancing in the air even though he was gone…

I went inside and shut Mildred’s door quickly behind me as to not encounter Sean once more. Even though Mortimer was gone I could still sense him. I could still feel his eyes on me. Even Ingrid and Elsa could sense him. The hairs on their backs stood on end as they paced cautiously around the room.

“Mmm don’t worry my lovelies.” I tried to soothe them as I layered on my clothing. “I will fix this.” I told them as I grabbed my sunglasses and prepared to step out into the city.

I tried not to spend too much time outside in the daylight as a general rule, but this was a necessity. I kept my head down the best I could as I made my way through the streets, finding my way to the oddly named ‘Holistic Healing Shop.’ Their inventory consisted of mainly trinkets and incense. Aromatherapy candles lingered in the air and sample of their relaxation tapes played overhead as I dug through the bins in the back.

Crystals were not something you could conjure. Well, you could but they wouldn’t be as effective and dealing with Mortimer I needed nothing less then effective. The bins were filled with mostly colored rocks but I managed to find one near the bottom. It wasn’t as large as I would’ve preferred but it would make due…

Upon returning home I shattered the crystal into several smaller pieces before removing the roses from the vase Mortimer gave me. I held my hand above it squeezing the sharp shards of the rock tightly in my fist until a drop of blood began to form.

As it began to drip I released my grip causing the shards and the blood to hit the water simultaneously. It hissed and it fizzed as the entire vase of water turned red, then black… and finally clear.

I reached my hand in and dipped my fingers into the water. It was still warm as I carried it out the front door, sprinkling it along the porch, chanting softly. First forwards then backwards. I wasn’t taking any chances with Mortimer…

I returned inside and set the vase down on the small table by the outer door for safe keeping. It wasn’t the best cloaking protection, but it would be enough to keep Mortimers prying eyes away for the time being.

I darted back into Mildreds apartment to fetch the flowers as the vase looked out of place there being empty. Perhaps the next time I venture to the club I can secure the proper supplies. Shouldn’t be too hard. Sure the proper crystals are hard to come by, but a few flirtatious winks to the right patron and Id have them in no time.

I was arranging them when I caught a glimpse of Ingrid in the hallway behind me. I was so lost in my thoughts that I didn’t notice she had followed me out.

“Ingrid.” I scolded her to go back inside but she ignored me. Just perched herself up on the stairs a few feet away from me. “Inside.” I directed her and in a form of defiance she turned her face from me and began licking her paw.

I exhaled a little impatiently as I watched her. I took a step towards Mildreds door hoping she would follow me but she did not.

“Ingrid.” I repeated once more a bit firmer and she seemed to sigh in annoyance as she lowered her paw back down. She would not come. I would have to go fetch her. As I stepped towards the staircase she darted up higher on the steps. “Ingrid.” I hissed at her and as soon as my foot touched the bottom step she darted off up them leaving me to trail behind.

When I arrived at the top I found her nuzzling against the crook in Seans doorway. “No. We shouldn’t be here now come.” I said softly to her. I wasn’t even sure if he was home but my question was quickly answered as the door opened behind her. Ingrid of course darted inside leaving me alone to apologize to Sean…

“Im sorry she got out-” I motioned apologetically but Sean was not focused on my words, nor the cat who had darted past him inside. He had his eyes firmly affixed to the now dry blood in my palm.

“Did she scratch you?” He scrunched his face in concern as he reached to examine my hand.

“Oh no Im fine.” I told him as I pulled it back quickly, whatever cut was there would be gone by the morning…

“Let me get you a bandaid or something.” He offered and before I could say no there was a loud crash of books from inside his apartment.

“Ingrid!” I widened my eyes as I peered over his shoulder inside. She had climbed up on to his bookcase, strutting along the edge knocking things down along her way.

“Oh crap.” He cried out and I followed him inside, shooing Ingrid down off his shelf in disgust. Books and papers were now scattered all over the floor and I knelt down along side him to help him gather them up. “My research.” He grumbled a little as he tried to put them back into some kind of order.

I wanted to say I was sorry again but for the first time in almost five hundred years I couldn’t find my voice. I just stared down at the pile of papers he had gathered. There lying on the top was a picture of a tomb…of my tomb…