Status: I had deleted this a little while ago, but we decided to continue writing it, so yay :)

Easier to Kill, Harder to Heal

006

I usually not one to feel awkward in most situations, but the walk back with Alex was probably the most uncomfortable situation I've ever been in. I had tried asking him what he was so worried about, but he refused to answer, so I dropped it.

The night grew cooler as we walked, but as I've mentioned, I didn't mind. Alex on the other hand, was shaking like a leaf. I felt bad, but he already had my jacket, and there were no other articles of clothing that I could remove modestly.

"You said you live where again?" I asked, breaking the awkward silence.

He sighed and let out a low grunt, "One twenty-four Woodland Street. We still have ways to go."

I shrugged and continued trudging through the leaves scattered along the sidewalk. I knew he was annoyed with me; he didn't want me walking him home. But, I needed to make sure he was safe. My work has been in the news too much recently, and I didn't need another segment on this kid going missing. Plus, I found myself wanting to protect him. I'm not sure from what, maybe from things exactly like me.

"If you're ya know, then why can't you just like fly us to my house or something?"

I snorted, then let out the most obnoxious laugh, "are you fucking serious? Like are you actually okay? I don't turn in to a fucking rat with wings and fly wherever I fucking want. That's too much."

He immediately looked uncomfortable and held his head down.

I gathered myself and cleared my throat, "Anyway, sorry if that's what you were expecting."

"I- uh, I'm sorry. Just, all the movies…"

I dug through my tight jean pocket, grabbing a cigarette and my black lighter. I took a long drag then exhaled the gray streams of smoke, tasting the strong tobacco, "those movies are Hollywood bullshit, if people believe that garbage then we have a bigger problem."

"True," he agreed, "Shit I feel like an idiot now."

"You're not an idiot. However, you should probably not base your assumptions of me off of lame vamp movies. Think of this as lesson number one; I can not, and will not ever be able to turn into a bat and fly the fuck off into the sunset." I took another drag, "Lesson number two, and you might want to write this one down: I can eat. I can eat and drink whatever the fuck I want. Although, food has no beneficial attributes regarding my health, and things like alcohol and drugs seem to wear off in literally no time."

I threw the end of my cigarette on the ground and stepped on it, making sure it was out.

"That's...so weird." he said, giggling, "the liquor thing kind of sucks though, right? Not that I really drink much, but you must spend a lot of cash on liquor."

"Well yeah, I like a good time. I could show you a good time, too. Maybe after I got a few shots in you," I smirked, as I watched his face turn a shade of red. He fixed his hair and remained silent. Oh god did he think I was a creep? I was acting like a creep. "Uh- What I meant by that is, maybe you wouldn't be so shy, if like, you loosened up a bit." I let out yet another awkward laugh. Geez, since when was I so fucking bad at this?

Before he had a chance to say anything, I grabbed the door to a 24/7 deli. The smell of bread hit me as
my eye's landed on the slushy machine which, to my surprise, was still turned on, considering it was mid October. I immediately got my cherry slushy and made my way over to the counter to pay.

"Do you want anything before I pay?" I asked as he was eyeing the candy.

"Uh, yeah I'll just buy these when you're done." I looked at his hands and noticed a bag of sour gummy worms. I cocked an eyebrow and gave him a sly smile, "Cute." I stepped over and snatched the candy from his hand and proceeded to pay.

"You really don't have to do this I can pay!"

"Stop, I'm paying. It's like two bucks."

He huffed in defeat as I made my way to exit. I handed him his neon candy as casually I sipped on my drink.

We weren't far from Alex's house now, and I could sense his anxiety growing as we got closer and closer. We approached the end of Woodland Street as I reassured him, "I'm not sure what you could possibly so worried about."

The street was dead, lined with dark average looking houses. We walked up to a small blue one, where a royal blue Subaru Impreza was parked with its headlights hitting the closed garage door. As soon as we set foot on the lawn the headlights flicked off, and someone stepped out of the car.

"Alex, who the fuck is this."

The figure stepped closer, setting off the motion light above the house's front door. I noticed he was taller than Alex, but still quite shorter than me. He brushed his light brown hair out of his face and began to squint his eyes.

He made a quick scuff sound, "Oh goodie, we've got the whole crowd here. The emo prince and his little fuckin' princess."

I let out a sarcastic laugh, "Uh-hum, what? And you fucking are?"

Alex grabbed my arm and dragged me over to a forest green Jeep Wrangler where he opened the door and placed gummy worms and the drowsy kitten, whom I'd honestly forgotten about, on the fabric drivers seat. He turned to look at me once the door was shut, "Stay here, okay?"

I slowly nodded as he began to walk towards the kid, who had his arms crossed impatiently, "You're not around your little posse anymore, David. You can drop the act."

"Want to tell me what the fuck happened the other night? You know, right after you ditched me? We weren't finished. And who the fuck is Sweeney Todd over there?" He darted his finger in my direction as I clenched my fists, trying to keep my cool. If I slipped up again, I'm sure I'd be done. Plus, Alex seemed to know this kid. Although, I had no idea at all how these two would be friends. I tried to relax as I lit up another cigarette.

I wasn't going to be insulted like that, "Okay, but like my hair is straight."

He rolled his eyes and looked back towards Alex.

"Right after I ditched you? You mean, right after you called me a "fag" and told all your friends that I had been harassing you with all my "sadistic gay shit"?"

I stopped leaning on the cold metal of the car. The conversation was getting interesting.

The wavy haired kid furrowed his brows, "What did you do to them Alex? What the fuck did you do?"

"What did I do? Those kids were always assholes to me and you just sat there adding fuel to the fire. They could have killed me David. They said they were going to kill me, and they would have if it weren't fo-" his voice cracked before he stopped speaking immediately and starred at the ground.

"If it weren't for who?" he continued, "those guys weren't even my friends, they were just some guys I hung around sometimes. Don't you think I'd be a little more upset about their murders if we were actually friends?"

Weird, last I had heard, they were on to some sort of animal attack, no mention of murder.

Alex shook his head and began to walk away, "Just some guys you felt the need to validate yourself to. David, I'm done with this."

As soon as those words hit David's ears, he became extremely enraged. He hands began to shake as he reached out for Alex's arm, "no, this is not fucking done. You don't get to call the shots; I've risked too much for you."

In a flash, I was next to Alex with a tight grip on David's forearm. He let go of the death drip he had on Alex's arm and he glared at me.

His eyes widened in realization "You and him?! Is he your new bitch?"

I gave him a smirk as I released his arm.

I brought my hand up to Alex's soft, warm cheek and slid it down so that his chin was cradled between my fingers. His eyes began to look my face up and down in confusion as I brought my face closer to his, not taking my eyes of his alluring green ones. A moment later, and our lips were crushed together. I pressed my lips harder on to his. He was struggling to pull away, and I didn't want to. It felt so right, even though I knew it was so wrong.

We parted lips, and Alex put his hand up to his mouth, running his fingers gently across his lips. I stood there watching him in disbelief of what just happened.

I snapped out of it and turned to face David who looked utterly disgusted. Thousands of thoughts raced through my head, I needed the fuckboy to leave.

"Uh, hah, yep! Sorry bro...Not really."

He shook his head out of his angry daze and his fist immediately connected with my jaw. Fuck, why couldn't he just leave peacefully. How was I expected to remain chill after that, especially since I was on emotional overload?

"Motherfucker," I growled as I immediately returned the favor of throwing my knuckles directly in to his cheekbone.

As he began to fall back, I grabbed the front of his shirt and swung him around so I had him pinned up against the side of the house.

"Listen to me you piece of shit. Don't ever go near him again. Don't talk about him, Don't even think about him. Got it?"

His fear kept him silent. I could feel him begin to shake as I lifted him slightly off the ground, slamming his body hard into the blue siding, "I said, got it?"

Alex broke free from his stunned state and tried to pry me off David, "please stop, stop! Kaine, let him go."

I released my grip and watched him fall to the ground. I was breathing heavy and I could hear his heart beating a mile a minute. My tongue traced over my fang as thoughts of sucking the sweet bloody nectar from his neck began to run through my mind.

Alex placed his hand gently on my arm, and looked up at me with red, watery eyes, "don't."

David's brown eyes were bulging out of his head as he eyed me up and down, "W-what the fuck are you?"

I looked at him and back at Alex. I fucked up.

I trudged my way back to the Jeep which had my half melted slushy on it. I took a huge sip as I watched David balance himself on his feet. Alex backed out of the way and watched as he began to limp back to his car, cursing under his breath. The headlights shined on the garage once again, but started to fade as David backed out of the driveway.

Once he was on the road, he rolled his window "You better watch your fucking back, Alex. I swear to God you little fag."

With that, I hurled my drink hard at his open window. The sugary drink hit his car and splattered onto his face.

He floored it and within seconds he was gone.

I stared down the road for a moment and for once in my immortal life, I was being overtaken by the emotions that began to flood in. I put my hands up to my head and growled in frustration.

A soft voice peered from behind me, "Are you...okay?"

"Fine." I turned to him and our eyes met. He looked like a mess with eyeliner smeared across his face. He was still beautiful though.

"I'll... see you." I turned and began to walk away, forcing myself not to turn back.

Who am I now?