All the Wrong Choices

Interruption

1997

“…and at this point in the semester, I would hope that most of you have familiarized yourselves with most if not all of Jupiter's moons. This includes the four main moons – Europa, Io, Ganymede, Callisto – and, yes, the little ones, too: Elara, Adastrea, Lysithea, Thebe, Carme, Pasiphae–”

“Uh, Professor Longwood?”

“Yes, Mister Orr?”

“What if a student hasn't familiarized himself with the moons?”

I pursed my lips at Wesley Orr, trying to instill some sense of dread into my students in attempt to scare them into studying. The truth was, of course, that my astronomy class wouldn't be a passing thought in any of my pupils heads once they walked out of this classroom, and most of them probably wouldn't study for their exam next week. Everyone in this room knew, myself included, that I didn't have the heart to fail a student.

“If you don't know the moons by this point in the lesson, you won't know them by next week. Which means you will not be prepared for the exam, which means you will not pass the exam. Does that answer your question?”

Wesley's face reddened. “Yes, Professor Longwood.”

“Might I suggest that, in the week between today and the day of the exam, said student at least makes an attempt to familiarize himself more with Jupiter's moons and less with Miss Kicklighter late at night by the lake?”

My head snapped in the direction of the masculine voice.

“Professor Dumbledore.” I spoke crisply. “What a lovely surprise to have you visit my classroom. You are interrupting a rather important review session, however.” My eyes fell on the three students that trailed behind him and I clicked my tongue. “And you three – you're supposed to be in my class as we speak.”

“My sincerest apologies, Professor Longwood, but I'm afraid I must ask you to allow an early departure for today.” I watched Albus for a moment before looking at the twenty or so pupils in my classroom. They watched me eagerly, awaiting my reaction. One student had already snapped his book closed and was standing.

“Enjoy the rest of your day, and please study for the exam.”

The students filed out and I sat down at my desk, looking at Albus expectantly.

“You have my attention now.” I spoke. Albus smiled in return.

“That is a lovely scarf you've got on–”

“On with it. You know I don't like beating around the bush.”

Albus cleared his throat, speaking rather hesitantly. “I'm at my wits end, Nora. We need your help.” The three students behind him looked just as confused as I felt. Albus inhaled a sharp breath before continuing. “It's about him. These are desperate times. I wouldn't put you through this if there was another way.”

My world came crashing down at Albus's words.

Any normalcy I'd established for myself in the last forty-six years was gone.

“No,” I shook my head frantically, “No. Absolutely not.”

“It's time. You knew this day would come.”

“No. I can't and I won't.”

“Professor, what is going on?” Harry asked from behind Albus.

Albus let out a shaky breath of air before addressing Harry's question.

I put my head down on my desk and tried to drown their voices out.

“You aren't aware of who this is, Harry?”

“That is Professor Longwood–”

“She is the only person Voldemort has ever cared about.”

Image


“...such a foolish idea, Albus! What are you thinking bringing me into this?”

The three students had cleared out of my classroom, leaving us alone to talk.

“You know far more than you think, Miss Longwood.”

“Have you thought of the emotional trauma that this will put me through?”

“Honestly, I’ve been more concerned with the survival of the world – and you should be as well. Someone needs to put a stop to him. He needs to be destroyed once and for all.” I slunk back in my chair once more and Albus looked at me almost pitifully. “Tom isn't in there anymore, Nora. The man you once loved is dead and gone. It’s time to stop living in the past and time to start thinking about the future.”

I patted at my wet cheeks and wiped my nose furiously, undoubtedly pronouncing the line in the crease of my nose further. Seventy-one-years-old and I was blubbering like I was fifteen again. I took a deep breath and looked at Albus.

“What do you want me to do?”