All the Wrong Choices

Brewing

1943

“Let's make sure we have everything.” Tom laid his head in his hands on the desk as I went over the checklist. “Seven rose thorns… check; one ashwinder egg, check; moonstone powder, check; four petals from a Belladonna flower, check; and a drop of swan's blood. I'd say that about covers it. Oh, and the water, which we've got right here.”

“Can you be less enthusiastic? You're giving me a migraine.” Tom murmured.

“No, I can't be less enthusiastic.”

“How did I get stuck working with you anyways?”

“Because you're the only person I know in this class and you were partner-less, too.” I popped a piece of candy I'd got on my last Hogsmeade trip into my mouth and held the box out to Tom. “Peppermint Toad?” Tom glared at me as if I'd just committed murder.

“No, thank you.”

“Are you sure?” I asked, wiggling the box once more. “They're my favorite. Ophelia says I eat so many that she thinks I'll become a peppermint toad soon. I carry some with me wherever I go. It's a bit of an addiction.”

“I'm fine. I don't like candy.”

“Well, they're mints, not–”

“Can we start?”

I warmed the water to the point of boiling while Tom crushed up the four Belladonna petals with the mortal and pestle. When he finished crushing the petals up I added them to the cauldron, followed by the crushed moonstone powder. I stirred until the powder dissolved and the potion took on a light golden color.

Tom took over the stirring, claiming that I wasn't doing it slowly enough. I watched him like a hawk, a ticking time bomb ready to explode. “No, no. You're doing it wrong. You're supposed to stir six times clockwise and nine times counterclockwise.”

“No, Nora, it's nine times clockwise and six times counterclockwise.”

“No, it isn't. I spent three hours memorizing the instructions for this.”

“Perhaps you should have spent four hours memorizing the instructions, because you obviously don't know them that well at all.” Tom shot back, stirring it counterclockwise for the eighth time, his eyebrows furrowed as he watched me squirm.

“You've ruined the potion.” I said lowly, defeated.

“I have not ruined the potion.” Tom rolled his eyes.

“You've ruined the potion and now we're going to get a T.”

“You are so melodramatic.”

“Is there an issue over here, friends?” Professor Slughorn asked, standing before us.

“Yes, there is,” I spoke, glaring at Tom, “Professor, would you please tell Tom that after adding the crushed moonstone powder, you stir it six times clockwise and nine times counterclockwise?” Professor Slughorn glanced between the two of us, probably thinking we were utterly mad.

“I would love to, Miss Longwood,” I smiled triumphantly, “If that were correct.”

“It's nine times clockwise and six times counterclockwise.” Tom spoke up.

“That is correct, Mister Riddle.” Professor Slughorn walked away to help another table of students. I watched him walk off, my jaw almost to the ground. I wanted to hex the cocky smile off of Tom's face when I turned to look at him.

“I think you should let me handle the rest, Longwood.” Tom spoke. I sunk in my seat as I watched him add the seven rose thorns. The potion took on a light pink cast, proving that Tom had been right all along (as if Professor Slughorn confirming it wasn't enough for me – which it wasn't).

He added the Ashwinder egg and I watched out of the corner of my eye as the potion turned to a red sheen. Tom had the smallest of smirks spread across his stupid lips, knowing full well that I was watching his success as it happened. I huffed and looked around the classroom at the other students. Most were struggling. Poor Erasmus Finnigan's cauldron blew up in his face and his partner, Livia Brody, slapped him upside the head for ruining her robes before storming out of the classroom and taking a T for the day.

“Can I have the Swan's blood?” Tom spoke, eyes focused on the cauldron.

“No.” I said, crossing my arms. “Get it yourself.”

“That's mature.” Tom muttered, reaching over me for the Swan's blood.

“But rubbing your success into someone's face isn't.” I murmured.

“You're paranoid, and bitter that I was right and you were wrong.” Tom responded, carefully and slowly adding a single drop of swan's blood to the cauldron. He held out the ladle to me and watched expectantly. “Will it make you feel better if I give you the final stir?”

I glared at him and didn't say anything in response as I snatched the ladle from his pale hands and clumsily dropped it into the potion, watching as a droplet made its way on to Tom's dress pants. I prepared to shield my face from an attack but Tom just rolled his eyes and inhaled deeply.

“You want to stir it three times clockwise.” Tom spoke.

“If I recall correctly, the instructions said three times counterclockwise.”

“You've made it abundantly clear that you don't recall correctly.”

“Three times counterclockwise, Miss Longwood.” Professor Slughorn called.

It was my turn to smirk.
Image

“Excellent job, Nora and Tom. In fact, this is the only potion to receive an O.”

“Do we get to keep it, Professor?” I asked. Professor Slughorn went wide-eyed.

“No, no, of course not. Certain potions I will allow you to keep, but not this one. I can't have a bunch of sixteen-year-olds running around the school with vials of Amortentia. That is a recipe for disaster and grounds for termination.”

“Looks like you'll have to woo Orion another way.” Tom said from next to me.

I narrowed my eyes at him, thankful that the bells chimed outside, as if on cue.