All the Wrong Choices

Jealous

1943

Tom's Point of View

I looked on in disgust as I watched the three so-called champions leave the Great Hall with the three Heads. Longwood still had her head buried in her hands after her exchange with the Durmstrang boy – Gøran, or whatever his name was – as he strode proudly down the hallway wearing some disgusting old coat made of animal fur. I couldn't help but think of what a wanker he was. Longwood was humiliated. Was he proud that he had humiliated her?

“Jealous, Riddle?” Avery questioned from beside me.

“No.” I spoke as coolly as possible. My blood was boiling.

“Riddle's in love.” William Nott cooed from the other side of me.

“Love doesn't exist, Nott,” I spoke through gritted teeth, more than just slightly annoyed with the boys' behavior tonight, “It is a figment of one's imagination. A silly fabrication, and an excuse for that Muggle corporation Hallmark to make more money.”

“How would you know what Hallmark is?” Lestrange asked, his eyebrows raised.

“Because Riddle's been studying the Muggle world, that's why. Because Longwood is interested in it and he wants to have some conversation starters on hand,” Avery piped in, a stupid grin spreading across his chapped lips, “Deny it all you want, Riddle. You suck at hiding it.”

I shifted in my seat, ignoring his words for his own sake.

Avery laughed some more, his pale face turning red. “Hey, Riddle, I say go for it. She's as much of a sadist as you are, if not more. You two could take over the world together.” He paused. “Shit, if you're not going to go for her, I will. She might be a nutty, but she's a hot nutty.”

“–is so dreamy, Nora. Do you not realize what just happened? He is easily the best looking guy in this room. You should ask him to the Yule Ball. Wouldn't you two agree?” I overheard Martha Bulstrode gushing to Longwood and her two friends. The fat lard. He wasn't even slightly good looking. Barbaric, if anything.

“Maybe.” Longwood murmured, glancing back down at her plate.

“You hear that?” Nott elbowed me. “You'd better get to her before Gøran does.”

“Maybe you should ask her to the Yule Ball.” Mulciber chimed in.

As if I needed his two cents, or anyone else's for that matter.

Did they have no idea who they were talking to?

“Would all of you just bloody shut up already? I have more important things to worry about than some petty little girl.” I exclaimed, slamming my fists down onto the table. The entire house went silent and looked at me, surprised at my sudden outburst. Even Longwood looked up at me, that stupid right eyebrow of hers doing it's usual quirk. I exhaled deeply before standing up from the table and walking out of the Hall.