All the Wrong Choices

Briberies

1943

Tom's Point of View

When I saw what Nora did to Myrtle Warren and that wanker Gøran something told me that she could be of use to me. She was someone that I could trust. She was similar to me.

I was sitting in the Great Hall eating breakfast with Avery, Nott, Mulciber, and Dolohov, my smirk oozing confidence and my hands flailing crazily as I told an elaborate story of the night before. Out of nowhere I felt someone dope slap me across the back of the head. The four boys sitting in front of me looked up at the person behind me in shock, struggling to contain their laughter.

I stood up, fully prepared to fight, when I turned around and spotted the culprit. To my surprise, note my sarcasm, I saw Nora. “What is your issue, Nora? Have you gone entirely mad?”

“You know damn well what my issue is, Riddle, you little shit. What is yours?” I glanced back at my group and gave them a nod before motioning for Nora to follow me. I led her to an empty corridor and stopped in my tracks to turn around. I didn't have a chance to register what was going on before she shoved me against the wall.

“You told people that we slept together? Do you have even an ounce of respect or decency in all of your pathetic little–”

“Do you remember what happened last night?” I asked, my eyebrows raised. “Yes, they had no bodily injury but they were covered in blood and so was your dress. People were asking questions. If I hadn't come up with some stupid story I'm sure someone would have put two and two together.”

“If I knew my name was going to be dragged through the dirt I would have just confessed to what I'd done.” Nora folded her petite arms across her chest. I rolled my eyes and smiled. She was always so over-dramatic.

“No one thinks any less of you. Everyone thinks we're an item.”

“Is that what you want people to think? Did you think to run it by me first?”

She was nearly screaming, her arms flailing around crazily once more.

“You are very on edge lately, Longwood.” I pulled her into me and ran my hands through her hair, lightly kissing her freckled forehead. She yanked away from me and reached into her back pocket. I half expected her to pull out her wand and hex me, but she pulled out a note instead.

“What is that? A love note?” I asked. “Who would write you a love note?”

“You tell me.” Nora unfolded it and jabbed it into my chest.

“Love notes aren't really my thing, Nora. Must be somebody else.”

I took the note from her and read the contents of it.

It certainly wasn't a love note.

Longwood,

I know about your secret. If you don't want the entire school to know as well, including Myrtle and the Ministry, meet me at the Black Lake after curfew tonight. If you don't show I will tell everyone what you did and you will be expelled – perhaps even thrown away in Azkaban. Word to the wise: be cautionary as to where you and Riddle share secrets.


“Disturbing.” I spoke coolly.

“If you or one of your friends wrote this, Tom–”

“None of us wrote that, Nora, that would be juvenile.” I rolled my eyes. “I told you what happened last night is between us. I gave you my word and I intend to keep it. You aren't honestly reading into these threats, are you? You only roughed them up. You wouldn't be thrown away in Azkaban, or even expelled for that matter. Dippet would let you off with a warning – especially if I backed you up.”

“Tom. Please.”

“Stop being so neurotic for once. You're going to give yourself a heart attack. I may know who wrote that note, so give it to me and give me some time. Until I figure it out, act natural. Merlin, you are such a headcase.”
Image

I caught up to Nora later that night after dinner and once again pulled her down an empty corridor. I led her into an empty classroom and made sure the coast was entirely clear before speaking. “Just as I had suspected,” I pulled out a few pieces of paper from my pant pockets, “It's that crazy bat Patricia Parkinson.”

Nora raised an eyebrow as I straightened out the papers. “How do you figure? What are these?”

“Love notes the git wrote me during our fourth year.” I replied simply. “I compared the handwriting. It isn't transfiguration science, Nora. Any Muggle could do it, and that says a lot.”

“I suppose – if they had love notes from her. Why do you still have these years later?”

“In case I ever needed to file for a restraining charm. She is not just psychotic, she is clingy and can't take a hint. Fatherly issues, I would imagine. Why, are you jealous?”

“Not really, no.” I knew that was a bold faced lie as I shoved the notes into my pocket.

“Right. Well, I would imagine she has some sort of agenda out for you. Probably out of jealousy, because she finds me irresistible and still wants me–” I stopped mid-conversation when Nora made a gagging noise, my eyes narrowing to slits. “You're the one who apparently slept with me.”

“So the lore says.” Nora bit back. I noticed her trying to hide a playful smile.

“You would have,” I noted, “After all, that's the entire reason we left the Ball–”

“Levicorp–” I quickly cut Nora off.

“Mimblewimble.” I spoke simply, preventing her from talking. She let out a muffled yell, trying to open her mouth. I simply shrugged, yanking her wand from her hand and placing it up high where she couldn't reach it without my assistance. I counter-spelled and allowed her to speak once more. “You still kissed me. Multiple times.”

“You're lucky I don't have my wand, Riddle–”

“Anyways, she must have been in the common room last night, doing Merlin knows what, and overheard us talking. That's the most logical explanation.”

“Okay.” Nora nodded in agreement. “So, what do you suggest I do?”