All the Wrong Choices

Back

1943

Ophelia and I were spending the weekend at Hogsmeade with Orion.

Hogsmeade Village looked like a Christmas card around this time of year; the little thatched cottages and shops were all covered in a layer of crisp snow; there were holly wreaths on the doors and strings of enchanted candles hanging in the trees. It was always beautiful during this time.

Orion and I were enjoying a few butterbeers and firewhiskies at my aunt's inn when he came in. Our eyes immediately met and he came strolling over to the table. It had been four days since I had seen him last, but I was still seething mad from our last encounter.

“Miss Longwood,” Tom greeted me, “Can I steal you for a moment?” I looked at Orion who was practically death glaring Tom. I had spent probably the entire day prattling on about Tom and how mean he had been the other day. He and Ophelia weren't about to allow me to go running back to him that easily.

“No, actually, you can't,” Orion spoke up, “We're in the middle of something.”

Tom ignored Orion and kept his eyes on me, waiting for an answer.

“He's right, Tom. I don't think it's the best idea anyways,” I said.

“Orion Lovegood. Seventh year Gryffindor, correct?” Tom looked back at Orion, who raised an eyebrow at him before nodding. “And is that firewhisky I smell on your breath, Nora? According to the law, you have to be seventeen years of age to consume alcohol legally. If my memory serves me correctly, you are only sixteen years of age. Now, Nora, are you going to give me a mere moment of your time or am I going to have to report your friend here for providing a minor with alcohol?”

I shot Orion an apologetic look before sliding out of the booth and following Tom outside. He led me inside of a small building that was in good shape but appeared to be abandoned. It was a bit sketchy, but I assumed he just wanted somewhere quiet to talk.

“Well?” I prodded him on. “I haven't got all day.”

“I just wanted to say hello and let you know that I'm back.”

“That's it?” I asked.

“Aren't you going to ask me how everything went?” Tom asked.

“Why would I do that? It's none of my business.”

“Very well. Where is your locket?” Tom looked at my bare neck, seemingly saddened by the fact that I wasn't wearing his locket. In a slight fit of rage four days ago, I'd taken it off and thrown it into my trunk.

“It's in my trunk,” I told him. There was a moment of silence.

“Are you going with him?” I knew exactly who he was talking about but I wanted to hear him say it. I wanted to watch his face for any sign of sadness or displeasure. Of course Orion and I weren't going together, he was my best friend's brother – but that didn't mean I couldn't have fun with this.

“Going with who?” I asked.

“Orion Lovegood. Who else?” Tom said impatiently.

“What business of it is yours? It's not like we're an item.” With that, I spun around on my heels and walked back towards the door. Tom quickly latched onto my wrist, rather painfully, and pressed me against a wall. Before I could protest his lips were on mine and his own body was pinning mine to the wall.

I managed to pull my head away just long enough to tell him to stop but he didn't listen. His hands roamed their way up my sweater; his touch was cold and rough but it still managed to give me goosebumps. I fought the urge to go along with what he was trying to do and shoved him away with all of my might.

“What the hell is your problem, Nora?” Tom exclaimed.

“What's yours?” I shouted at him. “One day you're all over me, the next you're acting as if I'm some sort of deadly, disgusting plague. I don't understand it and I'm sick of playing your games. What do you want from me?”

“Why are you so intent on getting answers?” Tom asked.

I broke down. What else did I have to lose?

“Because I love you, Tom. I'm in love with you. I need to know if you feel the same way or not. I need to hear you say it, not just show it one day and then act as if I don't exist the next.” Tom's eyes wandered from me to the ground a few times. I watched as his jaw muscles clenched, only visible because of the sunlight shining through the one window in the building. I watched him hopefully.

“There is no such thing as love, Nora.”

I watched him as he spoke. His eyes never left the floor.

“Don't say that. That's a lie and you know it.”

“No,” was the only thing Tom could muster out.

“Then look me in the eyes and tell me that. Or, how about this – if you don't love me, give me your word. Promise me that you don't.” Tom finally looked up at me, the whites of his eyes turning a blood red color. His jaw clenched and his hands shook with anger.

“Get away from me, Nora,” Tom ordered.

“Why can't you just open up to me?” I asked, taking a step closer to him. He let out a brute growl, as if he were going to do something harmful but I knew he wouldn't. “What happened to you to make you so cold? Is it because you're an orphan? So what? You and thirty percent of the wizarding world. You claim you would hate your parents all the time regardless. Why are you so fucked up?”

Tom huffed in anger and I could tell he wanted nothing more than to put my head through the wall.

Instead, he pushed past me and made a beeline for the building's exit.