All the Wrong Choices

Tirana, Albania

1945

Albania was even more beautiful than I had imagined. When Tom had first mentioned Albania to me I picked up some books on the small country and began researching it. I had seen the pictures in the books, but they did this beautiful country no justice. It was quite a way from home, but if it made Tom happy then I was happy.

He deserved this, after all. Upon graduating from Hogwarts Tom had asked Headmaster Dippet if he could become the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher as Professor Moneypenny had recently resigned. Headmaster Dippet regrettably turned Tom down as he was only eighteen and was far too young to be considered for the position. He went right to work at Borgin and Burkes instead, but developed an obsession with Albania. It didn't come as a surprise to me, of course – Tom refused to work at the Durmstrang Institute and was unable to work for Beauxbatons Academy. The only other wizarding school in all of Europe happened to be the Ivybirch Scholastic Institution for the Extraordinarily Gifted (or just ISI) right here in Albania. With his credentials, they couldn't turn him down.

“So, this is our new home,” I spoke, cutting open a box and sifting through it. We had found a flat right in the center of Tirana, a coastal town. It was the most beautiful place we had yet with its high ceilings, large windows, and clean, white walls.

“Until further notice,” Tom nodded, unpacking the contents of the cardboard box with a mere flick of his wand. I opened the large window in the empty room and sat on the edge of the windowsill, glancing out past the city buildings and to the vast body of ocean water.

“It's a bit far away from home,” I mumbled, squinting hard to try to see England.

“You won't see it, regardless of how hard you try,” Tom laughed, his arms wrapping around me as he placed his head on my shoulder, looking out at the water as well, “This isn't permanent, Nora. As soon as I'm old enough to take over the Defense Against the Dark Arts position, we're heading straight back to England. We won't be here for too long. Besides, I've given all of our close friends the address to reach us at. Avery, Lestrange, Ophelia, Ivy…”

“Let's not talk about it. I've got you, and you've got me,” I swiveled on the windowsill to face Tom. “Are you excited to start your career, Professor Riddle?” I smiled, pulling Tom back down to me by his tie. He quirked an eyebrow at me before pulling me down to the empty apartment floor and hovering above me, kissing me sweetly.