All the Wrong Choices

Conclusions

1997

“You want to go to Godric’s Hollow. I agree. I think we should. I mean, I can’t think of anywhere else it could be either. It’ll be dangerous, but the more I think about it, the more likely it seems it’s there.”

I rubbed the crust out of my eyes as I followed Hermione’s voice to the dining area of the tent. I’d hoped she wouldn’t speak much louder than she already was. Seventy-one years later and I still got killer headaches.

“Err – what’s there?” Harry asked.

“Well, the sword, Harry!” Hermione exclaimed, making me flinch. “Dumbledore must have known you’d want to go back there. And, I mean, Godric’s Hollow is Godric Gryffindor’s birthplace.”

“What are we talking about?” I asked, taking an orange from the fruit basket.

“The sword’s location,” Hermione filled me in, “Godric Gryffindor’s sword. You see, it’s… imbued with the venom of the Basilisk. If we can get our hands on that sword, we can destroy the horcruxes we find. I think this is the most important step right now.”

“I agree,” I nodded, “Say – where is Ron?”

Hermione and Harry exchanged a glance.

“He left last night,” Harry explained shortly.

“He left?” I asked, immediately filling with dread.

“We all had a small falling out after you went to bed last night,” Harry explained further, offering me a small shrug, “Nothing major, really. He just decided that perhaps it would be best if he left.”

I said nothing in response, not wanting to get into the middle of their drama.

“And what about this Godric’s Hollow place?” I asked.

“I want to see my parents’ graves.” Harry said.

“And, while I think that Voldemort expects you to do exactly that and has set a trap,” Hermione side glanced at Harry, “I truly suspect that the sword may be there. There is a woman there named Bathilda Bagshot. She knew Harry’s parents as well as Dumbledore’s family. I think, perhaps, that Dumbledore could have given the sword to her to give to Harry.”

“And what made you draw that conclusion?” I asked curiously.

“Well, the sword that Professor Snape sent to Gringotts was a fake,” Hermione said, glancing up at me uneasily, “I don’t exactly have any proof. All I know is that we don’t have too many options here. So far, this is my only lead.”

“When do we leave?” Once more Harry and Hermione exchanged a glance. I could read their expressions like a book and I let out a small chuckle. “I’m coming. I want to help get to the bottom of this one way or another. Any way I can.”

“You could help by holding down the tent,” Harry suggested.

“Don’t give me that, Potter,” I shook my head, waving a single finger at him, “I’m old, not crippled. If you think I’m just excess baggage then you’re sorely mistaken. I can handle my own. Hell, I could probably do more damage than the two of you put together.”

“I’m starting to see how Tom fell in love with you.”

“You’re a funny boy now, Potter, but if we were back at Hogwarts I’d have you in detention for the next three weeks,” I said jokingly, and Harry shut right up. “It’s settled then. I’m going to Godric’s Hollow with you.”