All the Wrong Choices

Good News

1942

“Another A.” Dad mumbled, tossing the parchment onto the table before him. “I thought you were smarter than that.” I kept my eyes on my plate, moving a few peas around as I listened to him go on about this week's exam grade.

“An A is a good grade, Edward. You're acting like a tyrant.” Mum spoke up.

“It is not a good grade. Not in this household.” Dad turned back to me. “I'm serious, Nora. I'm not going to keep dishing out money to have someone come to this house and tutor you personally if you're going to throw it back in my face.”

“Then why don't you send me to Hogwarts?” I spoke up clearly, dropping my fork onto my plate. “You wouldn't have to pay any money for it aside from supplies once a year. I could buy everything used! I don't mind.”

“Money is the least of this family's concerns, Nora, and you know that.” Dad said.

“Then why can't I go to Hogwarts like everyone else?” I asked, my eyes pleading. “The students at Aunt Rosmerta's inn look at me like I'm some sort of creature when I tell them that I'm home schooled, Dad. No one home schools their children anymore. Professor Butterworth isn't even teaching me things that I actually need to know in order to defend myself.”

“Who is putting these thoughts in your head?” Dad snarled.

“No one!” I exclaimed. “I'm just giving you the facts. You of all people should know where I'm coming from. You work for the Department of Security! Tell me, Dad, which curse would help me stand a better chance against Grindelwald, if the opportunity ever came up? Jelly-fingers or… or fiendfyre, for example?”

“Fiendfyre?” Dad asked. “Where are you learning about these things?”

“It doesn't matter–”

“It does matter.” Dad cut me off, giving me a hard look. “I thought that working at your aunt's inn would do you good, but apparently it's done nothing but the opposite. It's clear that you've been spending far too much time there–”

“Dad, please–”

“–so I will send an owl to Aunt Rosmerta regarding your resignation. You will finish the week up in order to give her some time to seek a replacement. If she hasn't found one by the end of the week, well, that's no longer your problem.”
Image

“Good afternoon, Nora.” Mum smiled from her spot at the breakfast nook. Gadpy, our house elf, ran around the kitchen hectically, preparing the Sunday brunch. I took an apple from the fruit basket and bit into it before joining Mum at the breakfast nook. “Have you got work today?”

“Yes, later in the afternoon.”

“It's a nice day. It should be busy today.” Mum nodded, watching on graciously as Gadpy refilled her coffee mug. “Your father had to head into the Ministry for a few hours today. I don't suspect he'll be home by the time you leave.”

“Good.” I shot back, thanking Gadpy as he filled my plate with all sorts of breakfast foods. My mouth was watering at the sight. Gadpy was the greatest and, unlike most families with house elves, was treated as a member of the family. He was also a better cook than my mother, father, and I combined.

“None for Miss Elsa today, Missus?”

“No, not today, Gadpy. Elsa spent last night at a friend's house.” Gadpy nodded and slid into the breakfast nook beside me, munching away on his toast as Mum continued on with our conversation. “Your father is just trying to do what he thinks is best for you, Nora – even if what he thinks is entirely wrong.”

“It's not fair.” I murmured. “I should be doing what everyone else is doing.”

“I know,” Mum nodded, “And that's why I talked to Dad last night.”

“About what?” I asked, offering Gadpy my leftover bacon.

“About you attending Hogwarts.” I nearly dropped my milk.

“Well?” I asked, eyes wide. “What did he say?”

“I don't want you to get your hopes up, Nora,” Mum spoke, a small smile washing across her lips, “But Dad said if you earn an O on your next curses exam, he will let you attend Hogwarts. But only if you earn an O. Not an A, not an E.”

My eyes widened and I wrapped my arms around Mum's neck. I dressed myself early for work that day, praying that Tom would pay the inn a visit today so I could tell him the news and, of course, ask him to tutor me again.