All the Wrong Choices

Hogwarts Express

1997

“Professor, I don't mean to interrupt, but what about when you got to Hogwarts?”

“Ron!” Hermione exclaimed. “She's getting there. Have a little patience, would you? The context needs to be built. Professor, I enjoy hearing your story. Every bit of it.”

“Stick to your romance novels, Hermione.”

“We need as much detail as we can get.” Hermione argued, crossing her arms.

“He's right, Hermione. The events leading up to my attending Hogwarts don't matter much – at least, not in this context.” I glanced over at Harry to see him fiddling with what appeared to be a golden snitch – the golden snitch he'd caught in his first Quidditch match, if I remembered correctly. “Tom and I weren't necessarily close when I first started attending Hogwarts. I thought we were, but, well, you know…”

1943

I boarded train 5972, otherwise known as the Hogwarts express, at exactly eleven o'clock in the morning on September 1 of 1943. The train's appearance held a striking contrast in comparison to the rest I had seen in my lifetime, taking the form of a large, red, 4-6-0 steam engine. The pictures in the books did it absolutely no justice. It was magnificent.

Mum, Dad, and Elsa were there to see me off, some more hesitant than others. “You'll send an owl the second you walk through the doors of that school, do you hear me? I'll be expecting at least two letters a week from you. If something happens, Nora, do not hesitate to send an owl.”

“Yes, Dad. I get it.” Mum was sobbing as she pulled me into a hug.

“How will I get candy from Hogsmeade?” Elsa frowned, kicking a rock on the station ground. I smiled and, once Mum released me, knelt down to Elsa and put my hands on her shoulders.

“How about this,” I smiled at my little sister, “Every time I write home, I'll send a new type of candy for you to try. Maybe even an occasional book here and there if I find one, considering that my trips to Hogsmeade will be limited now. Does that sound like an okay deal?” Elsa nodded and I smiled, pulling her into a hug before standing back up.

Dad prattled on more about the terms and conditions of my attendance at Hogwarts (“Anything less than an A and you are coming straight home. And yes, I said A. As much as I don't agree with it, I now have to abide by the Hogwarts grading system”). I nodded strictly but noticed Tom, in all of his glory, strutting through the crowds of students on the station platform.

“Yes, Dad, I promise that I won't mess this up. I'll write every day and not make any friends and study twenty-four-seven. I've got to go now. I love you all.” I gave them one last wave before turning away from them. Their eyes all followed my target. “Tom!”

He must not have heard me because he didn't turn around. I ran off after him and called his name until I was close enough to touch his elbow. He quickly turned in his tracks, nearly causing me to collide with him. “Hey. I'm here.”

“I noticed.” Tom nodded.

“It's so gorgeous,” I murmured, glancing at the train as Tom furrowed his eyebrows, “I knew it was really nice looking from the books, but I hadn't imagined this. I can't wait to see Hogwarts in person. Well, I already have, thanks to you, but that was at night. I can't wait to actually be permitted to wander the halls and feast in the Great Hall, fight over beds in the dormitories…”

“Yes.” Tom nodded. “The true Hogwarts experience.” I smiled at Tom and followed him as he boarded the train. We walked single file through the corridors, him ahead of me and not turning around to give me a second glance.

“Where do you usually sit?” I asked. “Is it okay if I sit with you?”

Tom stopped in his tracks once more and turned to face me, looking down at me. “Actually, Miss Longwood, it will probably be in your best interest if we don't associate with each other furthermore.” I furrowed my eyebrows and looked up at Tom, his unwavering expression only confusing me more.

“What do you mean?” I asked. “I thought we were friends.”

“I don't do the whole friends thing.” Tom said, his expression stone.

“But–” Tom turned on his heels to walk away. “But what about the scale? And the visits at the inn? You helped me study, and made it so I was able to attend Hogwarts–”

“I understand, Nora,” Tom looked over his shoulder at me, “That you haven't had much companionship at this point in your life, but rest assured, you won't find it in me. The train will be departing soon, so please find a seat and remain there until the vehicle is up to speed or I will have to take corrective measures.” Tom turned on his heels again, this time more quickly, his black and green robes swishing as he did.
Image

I walked down the corridors of the train, attempting to search for a compartment that was open, or at least semi-open, but my efforts were seemingly to no avail. Just as I was about to give up hope a small squeak sounded from behind me. I turned around and saw a girl poking her head out of a compartment.

“Sorry. Did you say something?” I asked quietly, as if she were a feral cat that would run off if I spoke too loudly or made any sudden movements. The girl took in a sharp breath before addressing me again.

“You can sit here if you'd like.” The girl seemed a bit odd, standing at no more than 4'11” with a stack of books next to her that sat higher than she. She had long, white-blonde hair that cascaded just beneath her rib cage. I questioned her offer at first but then I figured – since she was the only one who was nice enough to extend the offer – it wasn't my place to be selective.

“Thanks.” I smiled and took a seat across from her.

A gargantuan of a young boy sat next to me, eying me curiously.

“'Aven't seen ya 'round before. Who 're ya?” The boy spoke.

“Oh. My name is Nora Longwood. I've been home schooled until now.”

“I'm Ophelia Lovegood, and this is Rubeus Hagrid.” The girl spoke sweetly. “How is the home schooling experience? I've read it's much more intimate, personally and environmentally. Would you agree?”

“Nah,” Rubeus spoke before I had the chance, “A distant cousin er mine was schooled a'home. A pretty lassie, 'alf giant like meself. Eventually went insane from th' lack of human contact and got sent to St Mungo's.” Ophelia and Rubeus soon began arguing about the pros and cons of home schooling.

“Rubeus is right,” I murmured, “It does get quite lonely.”

“I see.” Ophelia nodded, giving me a deflated nod.

We made small talk for awhile before our conversation was interrupted by my stomach growling. Ophelia stopped what she was saying and started up again with, “There's a trolley on here with more food than you can imagine. I'm sure we could track it down if you like. The trolley witch just passed our compartment a little while ago. I'm sure she isn't too far.”

“That actually sounds like a great idea.” I nodded hurriedly. Ophelia bookmarked her page and stood up from her seat. I followed suit out of the compartment as she nearly made a beeline for the trolley. We bought various types of snacks once we tracked it down, enough to hold us over for the remainder of the train ride, and shoved our faces on the way back to our compartment.

“'Ey!” I heard a familiar voice shouting. “Cut it out, Avery. Give it back.” I saw a boy much smaller than Rubeus taunting him – one of Tom's croonies from that night at the inn, to be precise – waving what appeared to be a handkerchief in the air wildly. Why wasn't Rubeus sticking up for himself? He was three times Avery's size.

I walked over to the two and demanded that Avery give Rubeus his belongings back. A look of recognition fell over Avery's face before he laughed. “Hey – you're that girl from the Three Broomsticks. Nora, right? Pleasure meeting you that night and all, but I don't think I'll be giving this back to ol' Hagrid boy any time soon.” I pulled my wand from my back pocket and pointed it at him.

“This is your final warning. Give Rubeus back his handkerchief.” With a disbelieving laugh Avery took off with Rubeus's handkerchief in hand. I shoved my snacks into Rubeus's hands and took off after him, knocking over a few fellow students as I chased him down the narrow corridor and making quite the first impression.

A look of horror washed on Avery's face when he glanced over his shoulder and saw me gaining on him. He bolted faster but I caught up to him fairly easily. When I was within arm's reach, I pulled out my wand and yelled, “Levicorpus!”

The students watching us were in shock over how fast the series of events had unrolled. Avery was hanging upside down by his feet in thin air, screaming his head off as the blood rushed to his brain. I tapped my foot and clicked my tongue, shaking my head at the poor boy.

“You're going to deprive yourself of oxygen even faster if you keep screaming like a bloody banshee.” I explained to him. More students gathered around as his screams grew louder and carried further down the train.

“It was just a joke, okay, Nora? Put me down now! Please!”

“Silencio!” Avery's mouth kept contorting in all sorts of different shapes but no sound emitted from his throat. I held my wand up, allowing him to dangle for a bit longer solely for my own enjoyment. I didn't notice as the crowd around us began to disperse.

“What is the meaning of this?”

I turned around and my eyes fell on the jet-black hair and dark blue eyes. I tried to stifle a groan. Tom would ruin all the fun on my first day. He stood dangerously close to me, towering over my small frame at what I had estimated to be about six feet tall.

“Do you care to explain why Mister Avery is dangling upside down in thin air?”

“He stole something that belongs to a friend of mine. I just wanted it back.” I spoke simply, glancing over my shoulder to see that Ophelia and Rubeus had caught up to us. They watched me in admiration, probably happy that someone had finally stuck up for one of them.

“Put him down.” Tom spoke calmly, almost demanding.

“No,” I smiled, keeping my wand pointed at Avery while I grabbed Rubeus's handkerchief from his clammy hand. I turned to look at Tom behind me, “I think I'll let him sweat it out. This is turning into a fun first day.”

“Miss Longwood, if you do not put him down right this instant I can assure you there will be consequences to pay.” Tom watched me scrutinizingly. I looked at him for a few moments, searching for a sign that he was bluffing. The Prefect badge on his sweater was reminder enough. He wasn't joking.

I hummed exaggeratedly and lowered my wand – but not slowly enough, allowing Avery to crash right into the ground. The boy gasped for breath, having regained his voice, and stood up to his feet before nearly hurling himself at me. “You're no fun, Riddle.”

“Are you off your rocker, girl?” Avery exclaimed. “You're a bloody sadistic psychopath! Tom, write this lunatic up now. Have her expelled. It's no wonder her parents home schooled her. She's clearly unsocialized–”

“That is enough out of you, Avery. Everyone move along. There is nothing to see here.” Everyone heeded the black-haired boy's orders like a bunch of sheep, huddling back into their compartments. Tom pulled me to the side.

“Barbaric behavior such as that but it will not be tolerated here at Hogwarts. You can get into a lot of trouble for using magic outside of Hogwarts under the legal age. I will not write you up to Headmaster Dippet this time as I have got far more important matters to tend to but I cannot guarantee that the Ministry will not be in contact with you after that little stunt you pulled back there.” Unlikely.

“Are you scolding me?” I asked in disbelief. Tom's eyebrows furrowed at that statement. “I don't care what your title is. You're not going to stand here belittling me and calling me barbaric.” Tom ignored what I said and went on.

“As Prefect, Headmaster Dippet gave me orders to take a Miss Nora Longwood – that is you – under my wing for the first couple of weeks you are here so you can get a feel for the place. There are far more important things I could be doing with my time, but orders are orders. If you want to stay on my good side I strongly suggest you neglect casting spells on the other students.”

“Ah, so that's what your problem is. Did I hurt your feelings?”

“That attitude of yours will not get you far, Longwood. Adjust yourself.” Tom spun on his heels and strode back down the corridor to his compartment. I fought the urge to laugh out loud. What a bloody psychopath.