Status: This is my NaNoWriMo 2015 attempt. Let the horror begin!

To Kill a Ghost

Chapter Sixteen

Linox’s phone buzzed every half hour. The name always read Dedra, but he knew that was wrong. His curiosity almost got the better of him once, but he stayed focused on his unsuccessful searching for the name Eli Jones. The man was more of a ghost than Sam Jennings, although now that Linox searched for Eli, he understood why Sam seemed like a ghost.

“Are you finding anything,” Kirkland asked, walking into the room with the file containing information on Sam.

“Not a word.” Linox answered. His eyes remained glued to the glowing computer screens before him. Words scoured the pages, but there was nothing to help locate Eli or the strange man hunting Dedra. Linox opened his mouth to ask as he thought about her.

As if on cue, Kirkland said, “I haven’t heard from her since she left, but I know she’s all right.” He rubbed his hands together as if they were cold even though the room was warm because of the computer monitors letting off heat. “She took my ride.”

“You finally let her borrow that?” Linox laughed as he remembered a few of the screaming matches over Dedra wanting to drive and Kirkland’s adamant refusals.

“Who do you think these people are?” Kirk asked as he moved to take a seat near Linox.

“I have no idea,” Linox answered, leaning back in his chair. He turned to Kirkland. “Because of the hard time finding info, I think they might be like us with secret service backing.”

Kirkland’s face grew pale before Linox’s eyes. His features aged suddenly, and Linox wondered why he did this job. Why did let Dedra continue his work? He had so many questions, and none of them would be answered because of the researcher that came before him.

“These are dangerous people if they are with the service. Eli Jones needs to be treated as a red thread from here on out, and we will keep our eyes peeled for Dedra’s stalker.” Kirkland’s demeanor was stiff and ordering. Linox believed he might have been link this in another life, but now he had to be stronger, he had to think faster in order to keep everything he has safe.

“I need to go out for a while.” Linox pressed the spacebar on his computer. Every scrolling photo and word scan paused instantly. “There’s some things I need to take care of.”

“Your mom again?” Kirkland asked. Linoxed nodded, not wanting to admit that there might be a problem with anything else in his life. He wasn’t going to see his mom though. His father’s parole hearing called for his presence. Someone had to make sure the bastard stayed behind bars.

“Take care of your family while you can, Linox. They can be gone in the blink of an eye.” Kirkland advised before standing from his seat and leaving the room.




Dedra’s long hair whipped around her shoulders as she sped down the busy street on Kirkland’s vintage bike. Freedom spread through her veins and she almost forgot about the man stalking her. She couldn’t let herself forget completely though. The bike took her through side streets and back allies until she made it to her apartment building. It was an old brownstone and she lived on the third floor. She hid the bike behind the building before sneaking up the fire escape.

Her apartment wasn’t hard to get too. She took a quick shower, grabbed a fresh pair of clothes, boots, and then she set up her disposable phone. There was no answer when she dialed the office number. Dedra would call them again soon, but for the moment she had a theory to test out.

The bike carried her to the Marquis Grand within five minutes. She hid it again in an ally. This time sneaking in took less time since a nice gentleman held the door open for his wife and her to walk through. She boarded the elevator and made it to 1504 in record time. She knocked on the door. One high, sharp noise snapped in her ears, but no one answered. She banged three sharp taps before muffled stumbles made their way toward her.

“Open the door, Jennings,” she called. The stumbling grew louder and the door flew open.

“I knew you would come back.” He smiled as he blocked the doorway.

“Which of my rules did you break?” She raised a brow as she questioned his bare chest and the gray elastic top of his boxer shorts.

“Would you be mad if I said the one about the tarts?” His eyes darted over his shoulder before a loud crash sounded through his apartment.

“A little, but not enough to ruin my day.” She shrugged as she pushed her way through the door. A dark haired woman who resembled Dedra in their coloring shot up from the chair where she sat putting on her clunky heels. “It’s my turn, Honey, and I’m not fond of sharing.” She winked at the woman who looked more like a hooker than a woman.

“She doesn’t mean to be rude, Lydia. My friend just needs a minute alone with me,” Sam said with a warm smile as he handed the woman her black clutch bag. “Now, get out.”

“Oh that’s cute.” Dedra chuckled. “Lydia, sweetheart, I will rip your eyes out if you enter this apartment again.” She smiled as she grabbed the woman’s arm and dragged her to the door. “Trust me, I have eyes everywhere.” She shoved Lydia out of the door and slammed it.

“Well,” Sam said as he leaned against the dresser. His torso reflected in the mirror. Dedra had to admit that his looks were growing on her. “Aren’t we the eager one?”