Status: This is my NaNoWriMo 2015 attempt. Let the horror begin!

To Kill a Ghost

Chapter Twenty One

Dedra tucked the gun in the back of her jeans before she threw open the door. Sam was insane! She’d never had any family. There was no one for those two years of foster care, no one got her through her mother’s death, but she had Kirkland.

“I don’t have an aunt.” She said in her cold tone. Her emotions turned themselves off forcing her body to run on instinct. Air filled her lungs.

“You do,” Sam called after her. “You’ve even met her.” He chuckled like he was portraying a bad version of The Joker before he moved toward her. She reached for the gun.

“My mother was an only child, and my father is fictional! If you keep pushing for info about me, Jennings, you won’t live long enough to report back.” She growled before she slammed the door to his room. Her fingers twitched to lock the door, but she couldn’t, not from the outside.

She turned, running her fingers through her hair and groaning. What had she done? A mad man obviously, but what was the end game? What could possibly come at her next?

“Hello, Dedra.” Her eyes landed on the stranger that she knew so well. His sandy locks were messier than the first time she saw him today.

“Not again,” she whispered to herself as she wiped the sweat from her hands. “You know my name. That’s not fair.” Her eyes locked onto his. They were dark and dull. Black irises appeared almost dead in the light. His chest still rose and fell with the actions of his lungs.

“You should remember it.” He retorted. “Your mother screamed it enough times when she cried.” His lips twisted into a demented, sinister grin. “She said you were hers, but we know you wouldn’t exist without me.” His voice was deep and smooth. In a way it was soothing, but it made every inch of her skin crawl as he talked. She wanted to run.

“Funny, the only think I remember about you is how you slaughtered the only mother I had and murdered my adoptive mom.” She crossed her hands over her chest, leaning on her right leg.

“Tanya tried to kill you.” He shrugged and took a step forward. “Remember the bathtub? All that crimson clouded water? At least she had creativity when she tried to get you to jump off the balcony. If you killed yourself, Kirkland wouldn’t be mad at her.” He puffed his lips out, faking a pout as he said the latter sentence.

“You ruined my life,” Dedra hissed.

“I gave you life,” he retorted.

“Who the hell are you?” She threw her hands up in defeat as Sam’s door opened. She glared at the man before glancing at the liar who’s bed she climbed out of.

“He’s your father.” Sam rolled his eyes. “I lied when I said I had no intelligence training too, Love. He’s much better than your Kirk.”

“You still have a small…” Dedra trailed off as her eyes ran down his body and back to meet his gaze. She smirked and turned her attention to the man claiming to be daddy dearest. “Kirkland is my father.”

“Mr. Jennings, we’ll talk about your small parts later.” If looks could fry someone alive, Sam would’ve been as crispy as a blackened cake. “That man is not your father.”

“He’s the only one I need.” Dedra moved her arms, reaching for her gun.

“My name is Wes Morgan. Ask your so called father who I am?” A smirk crossed his features. “You won’t like the story, but you are mine. Only mine. Even your whore of a mother didn’t really care for you.” His eyes caught fire as she automatically pulled the red handled gun from her jeans, aiming directly for his eyes.

“Want to repeat that?” She asked. No one hair moved as she breathed slowly. The cold metal in her hand made her stronger, made her calmer. She felt invincible for a moment. Then…Wes took a step forward.

“You don’t like your mother insulted?” He walked until he was in point blank range. “I’ve done it a lot in my lifetime. Especially when she looked me in my eye and told me she would died before I would get to meet my daughter. She said you were too good for an animal like me.” He pulled a gun from the back of his own jeans. It was sleek and silver. He pointed it at her head, his arm parallel with hers. “You even hold your gun like me.”

“I can tell you who taught me how.” She retorted. Nothing in her body moved. Even air evaded her lungs.

“I should have gotten to show you how.” He complained.

“Kirkland is probably a better teacher. And I’ve had much better partners because of his decisions.” She moved her finger to her trigger.

He moved his gun away from her, pointing it at Sam. “Would you consider him a partner?”

She laughed. “No. My partners were…are real men.” The smirking chuckle fell from her lips as she remembered the one person who shouldn’t be coming to mind.

“Jake!” She cried. Every inch of her body trembled. “Please, don’t! Just listen to me.”

“I know what he said, D.” He whispered. “They can’t…I can’t…”

“Put the damn gun down! I don’t care what anyone said!” She growled. He moved the black metal from his chin to his temple. “If you don’t, then you know what I have to do.” Tears ran down her cheeks.

“You wouldn’t.” He whispered. The first bullet missed by an inch, grazing a bit of his ear not hidden by his arm. “Dedra, this is my choice!” he growled at her. “Just walk away!”

“I can’t! You stupid bastard, put the gun down!” Her silver gun wavered in her hand. Kirkland stood behind the door watching through the window. She could feel his eyes on her. She could hear his voice.

‘Take out the threat.’ Kirkland’s scratchy voice echoed through her mind.

“Don’t make me do this.” She fell to her knees.

“It’s too late, D.” Jake whispered. He pulled the trigger.


“Unlike you, I have somewhere to be.” Dedra stated. “I’m going this way. Shoot if you must, but I am leaving.” She turned her back on Wes Morgan, her eyes met Sam’s one last time before she watched the reflection of a gun rising in the window of a hotel room across from her. Her hand moved faster than her mind. She turned and squeezed the trigger.