Status: updated at will

Initial Masquerades & Eternally Iron Made

Act I: My Blood is Boiling Inside of my Veins

Under his reign, Jase had only called the table together once before. It was something he hadn't planned on doing again; he was content to sit back, to watch and allow the White King his rule. It kept the man happy, and blissfully unaware to the plot that was coming together right under his nose. After all, it was no surprise, at least by those who knew of the corruption within the Hellfire Club, that Benedict Kine would one day be undermined.

It was only a matter of time before it came to light – but it was neither here nor there as the dining hall filled with members of the Inner Circle. Seats filled as the players, speaking in hushed tones, entered the room. They kept their gaze from lingering too long on Jase, but their curiosity was apparent.

Jase knew that it was obvious: there was no question to why they were there. In the grand scheme of things, Tony Stark was important. More so, the Stark name had once been valued within the Hellfire. They were self-made men and there was nothing more valued and respected by the Hellfire. It didn't matter that Tony ignored them -- ignored a part of his legacy -- the link was still there and the Hellfire always stood by its court members.

Even if Tony’s disregard had left an open seat for Stane to take. The man had slunk in one day and never left, despite only finding solace with certain members. Jase was surprised, as the doors finally closed, that the man hadn’t weaseled his way in. In the past, Sebastian Shaw had been forced to play nice with the snake; business taking precedence over pleasure. However, when Jase took the throne, he made it very clear that if you didn’t have a seat, you weren’t welcome among the Inner Circle. It had been the first call he made without Sebastian whispering in his ear.

He spared a glance for the man in question: dressed in his finest, arms crossed, sitting to the side as he was no longer allowed his position at the head of the table. As Lord Imperial, his words didn’t carry the weight as they had once did. It was his job to oversee the Inner Circle and lead them when guidance was called. At the end of the day, it was just another way for Kine to show his control and power -- for the time being, he was allowed the illusion.

And only for the time being.

The older man’s head turned, feeling the weight of Jase’s gaze. The downward turn of his lips slackened as he leaned forward, hands falling to press against the arms of his chair. “Emma told me of your little outburst earlier, how are you holding up?” Sebastian asked softly, “will you be able to handle this? I don’t want to see anyone gain some sort of leverage against you," he frowned, "which will happen if you allow your emotions to rule you."

“I’ve never met the man,” Jase scoffed, steadily ignoring the un-amused look shot in his direction. He knew that it didn’t mean a thing.

“Something that hardly matters. The two of you share blood and you, Jase, show a peculiar interest in a man that, by your theory, means nothing.” Sebastian gave him a knowing, if not smug, look, “dare you tell me I’m wrong?”

“No…”

“You believe Stane is behind this?”

“There’s enough rumors fueling the fire.”

“If he is behind this, neither one us want Kine running to him. The fool has no idea that you and Mariah exist, let’s keep it like that. For now, we need to play our cards close.”

“He’ll speak to Stane tonight,” Jase disagreed, leaning against the side of the chair. He ducked his head down even further, all but mouthing his words.

“With whatever we feed him,” Emma cleared her throat, causing Sebastian to hesitate as the two men looked at her. Her smile was tight lipped, the warning on her face clear: shut up. “Remember, Jase, you have an edge to this, you need to use it wisely.”

They ended their conversation immediately, whatever Sebastian was going to say lost in their silence as Benedict Kine finally entered the room. The hall light flooded the room as he strolled in, smile in place and deep in conversation with a pained looking Tessa. The man was a fool and Jase hated him.

“Raffaello!” He cringed, greeted by a name he couldn’t stand. Kine didn’t look bothered, rather he pulled out a chair for Tessa before turning his attention to Jase. “What brings us here tonight, my dear boy? I can hardly say that I’m not pleased that you’re finally stepping up as our other King, but I had plans tonight.”

The room broke into chuckles.

“You could’ve made your excuses, Benedict.” His voice was cold; Jase rarely ever butted heads with the other man, for the time being allow him to do however he pleased. But this was a different matter and it was only the cool push of his aunt’s telepathic abilities against his mind that caused him to stop talking. Across the room, his sister glared at him and Jase knew he would have to play it careful. He didn’t want Emma reminding him to play nice all night, nor did he need another verbal lashing from Mariah. “As it is, I’ve asked you here only out of formalities. Tony Stark’s disappearance places a slight …” he paused, “it’s problematic for some of us.”

Kine narrowed his eyes, despite the smile still plastered on his face. “I hardly see how this is truly a problem. Stark has made it quite clear he wants nothing to do with the Hellfire, Raffaello. You of all people should know that. As for the problems that will arise without Stark in the picture, we can wait until Stane informs us if his decision.”

Jase shook his head, “as I said, Benedict, it was only formalities that called you here. There are some of us that have connections to Stark Industries…” from the corner of his eye, he saw his uncle slip in and take a seat next to Emma Steed. “And we’d rather keep it within the Stark name, not someone else’s.”

“I am more than confident that Stane will continue with any and all arrangements. My dear boy, there’s nothing for you to worry about.”

He ignored the warning touch to his arm and plowed on, “you don’t understand what I’m saying. You have no say in this matter, the side of us that deals with our business has to make a choice.”

“As I said --”

“Hardly the point, Kine,” Sebastian cut in, “my contract is with Stark. We’ve made progress over the years and it would be a nuisance to start over with Stane. If it was a matter of technology, I would have my own company do it. But as it is, they’re weapons and everyone knows that that the best arms come from Tony Stark himself.”

“I could even step forward,” Emma Steed reminded them, “but unfortunately, we don’t just go to Stark for weapons.”

Kine’s face flushed, “yes, well, we all have to make sacrifices. I hope as much as anyone that Tony comes back safely. I knew Howard and he would be devastated if he was still alive. However, I am merely suggesting that for the time being, we work with Stane to continue our needs. We can’t stop our operations due to one missing person.”

“I draw the line with working with Stane,” Emmanuel da Costa grunted, leaning back in his chair, hands coming to rest in front of his face. “I don’t mind getting my hands dirty, for personal reasons. But when it comes to my company, I care to stay on the legal side of things.”

“Agreed,” his son Roberto spoke from his position against the wall. “We know that Stane has a tendency to deal under the table, how can I trust a man that might be selling to terrorists? Da Costa International will not be connected to Stane in any way.”

“Ms. Frost? What of you?” Kine looked at the blonde for help.

“You are aware, Benedict, that by asking me to side with you, I would be forced to go against the CEO of one of my subsidiaries. I would think that through before posing such an absurd notion.”

Jase shared a look with Sebastian as his aunt spoke, turning his gaze down to the table when she finished. He had to bite back his grin. Maybe, just maybe, Tony Stark’s disappearance would be somewhat beneficial after all.

“Ms. Steed?” Kine turned his attention to the English woman and she laughed.

“I don’t think so, darling. My alliance has always been to Shaw, especially when it comes to money matters. I wouldn’t trust anyone more than him,” she smiled and glanced to her left, “and I have another stake in the matter. Unfortunately, you'll have to count me out this round.”

“This is ridiculous!” The man shouted suddenly, rocking to his feet and slammed a fist onto the table. “There is no reason we should even be discussing this. You’re giving into the will of a child and placing bets on a spoiled brat that is probably long since dead in Afghanistan! You want to keep your claws in Stark Industries, but at this rate you’ll lose everything!”

“You’re hardly a businessman, Benedict. This is not a game you should attempt to play, because you will lose. Keep your position within finance, because money at hand is what you’re good at. You do not know, let alone understand the means we use to bring in our equities.” Ms. Steed brushed a hand through her hair, “Raffaello was correct to invite you, but he’s right. It was merely formalities and your presence is no longer required.”

Kine opened his mouth, but this time Jase cut him off. “You’re attempts to push us toward working with Stane is pointless. The man is untrustworthy, you’re only wasting your time. Thank you for taking the time out of your evening to join us, but Emma is correct. Your presence is no longer required.”

All eyes were on the two men, the silence almost overwhelming as they glared at each other. It was Kine who broke first, gaze darting to the side and then around the room. The scrape of his chair against the floor was deafening and he moved to his feet. “Impressive, Raffaello. I didn’t believe it was possible for you to hold your own in such ….matters.” Kine sneered at him, “but remember, you are our Black King because I put you there and I can as easily take that away.”

“By all means…” Jase crossed his arms, standing to his full height. “I would love to see you try.”

He bristled, “how dare--”

“Wyngarde, would you escort Benedict out? See him to the front door if you wouldn’t mind.” His tone left no room for argument. Kine looked at him in shock as Jason Wyngarde took his elbow and pulled him from the table. Once the door closed behind the duo, he turned his attention back to the rest of the room. “Does anyone else have any qualms about breaking away from Stark Industries if Stark doesn’t return?”

Murmurs of agreement met his ears; Sebastian leaned forward and tapped a gravel against the table, but it was Emma who spoke. “Tomorrow, Stane is holding a press conference. For all purposes, we’re going to support him, Tony and the company.”

“What does Stane plan to say? We all know he’s not shedding tears over this.”

Emma looked at Mariah, “the obvious.”

“Which is?” His sister demanded.

“Stark Industries does not deal with kidnappers, terrorists or threats. While I have the utmost faith in Tony Stark, there is a chance that he will not come home. If that …” Emma cleared her throat, “if Stark doesn’t come home, then Stane will take over as Stark Industries.”