Status: I will update when I can. I am busy with college work a lot.

Astrum

Chapter One

“Long ago, a spark in the heavens created the eternal flame, and from it, the universe was born. Stars and galaxies leapt out from its center, swirling all around to create the masterpiece we see each and every day. Amongst the stars, the great deities of old were born. First came Luden, the Father, followed by his wife, Noel, the Mother. Then came Char, the maker of earth. Riding on the wind came Yal, and behind him came Shek, the ruler of time. Riding the moons came Bel with her brother Ard on the suns. Then came Ger, the firekeeper with his sister Los, the waterkeeper. Riding on the back of a star came Witto. Finishing the lot came Tider with the promise of life, and Met with the real truth of death. The deities made their home amongst the heavens where they still reside today as they have for millennia.
“It was not long after their arrival that Los and Ger were inspired to create. From Ger came a brilliant fire that blazed with the passion that only a deity can create. Fire that could transform the world if need be. Los saw the potential of this blaze, and gave her water so that it could be shaped because no one thing should remain completely resilient. This water shaped a form which we now see everywhere today. When Char saw what the twins were doing, he covered the form in earth and wiped it away to reveal the new smoothness of this new creature, and it became sturdy so that nothing could easily break it. Not wanting to be left out, Yal lent his charge of air so that the creature could move on its own, as well as a gift of speech, so that we may be able to express what is in our hearts. They gave this creature the name of ‘human.’
“When the other deities saw what had transpired, they too wanted to bestow gifts on the human. From Luden, came strength and courage, so that we may never cower in the face of fear. From Noel, came compassion and mercy, that we may never forget the times when we have all been weak. From Shek, came wisdom and knowledge, so that we may grow through experience. From Witto, came wonder and imagination, so that we too may create. From Tider came passion and skills, so that we may never forget the excitement of life. And finally from Met, we receive death, so that we may always remember these gifts and be thankful for what we were given.
“And what lesson have we received through this story, Arden?” asked my father, not looking up from his scroll.
“Fire transforms us. Water shapes us. Earth heals us. Air moves us. Spirit guides us,” I responded, earning a smile from him.
“And that is the basic truth of life. You must always remember this and the creation story. It will bring you hope when it seems there is none.”
“Tatere, I learned this when I was very young. What is the point exactly of telling this to me all over again?”
“Just so that you always remember your roots, even when you are far away from home.”
“I could never forget home,” I muttered, the wind ruffling my hair and stirring up the reddish-purple leaves that had fallen from the trees. The rain season would be starting soon, halting the falling of the leaves on this side of the world.
“I am not saying you will. I am just saying that as your father, a parent who cares very much for his only daughter.”
“I will be alright, Tatere. Do not worry. We will only be away for a few days at the most. Anyway, Cyrus will be with me the whole time.”
“And I am sure your brother will take very good care of you like he always does. I am just asking that you remember that this is a foreign planet; one we have not documented well at that. It will be very dangerous.”
“I know, Tatere. I will be as careful as I can.”
“Go ask for safe travel from Los.”
“I will. Do not worry about me. I will be alright,” I smiled as I scurried off towards the temple. The sound of chants grew louder as I quickly made my way over the natural bridge made by the trees across the waterfall, the sound almost blocking out the music. It wouldn’t be long before the people of the city would gather to pay their respects to the deities, so my visit would have to be a short one.
As I came closer to the temple, the foliage started to change their color to green, signifying holy ground. I slowed my pace as I came upon the main temple, carved from the side of one of the many sides surrounding the city. I trotted up the steps and slowly made my way through the entrance. All around, temple clerks were replacing and lighting candles and singing their praises to the deities. Twelve statues carved in the faces of the deities were placed in a circle in the center underneath the glass window in the ceiling. I made my way towards the statue of Ard, my patron, and knelt down by the feet. A wooden bowl filled with water sat at the bottom of the statue, as was customary with tradition. Taking a flute from my bag, I played the traditional seven note tune that was associated with Ard, the wind causing ripples on the water’s surface. I bowed my head and extended my arms in a sign of humbleness before the statue.
“I ask that you watch over me on my journey, Father Ard. Guide me back to my home when my task is finished,” I whispered, rising into a kneeling position. The ripples in the water became more frequent for a few more moments before a small spout of water shot up before settling back down in the bowl. I smiled, knowing that my prayer had been heard. Bowing to the statue again, I got up and walked almost to the other side of the circle where Los stood. I knelt before her, and placed a small wooden boat in the water before bowing the same way I had at Ard’s statue.
“Mother Los, please watch over my journey. See that I and every other member of the recovery team may return safely to my home, and I also ask that the journey be quick with good results.”
Sliding back up into the kneeling position, I waited for the boat to turn and float back to me, which would have been the normal sign that my prayer had been accepted. Instead, the water began to turn up waves, causing the boat to rock dangerously. After a few moments of the waves growing bigger and bigger, the boat was finally capsized and broken in half by a wave. I gasped, nearly throwing myself away from the statue and the bowl.
“Mother Los is warning you, my child.”
I jumped at the new sound, and turned to see the head priest, Brother Shekor, standing behind me. His dark skin had many wrinkles that creased it, the years taking care of the temple possibly being the cause of many of them. He wore the standard green robes that all temple stewards wore.
“What is she saying?” I asked with a slight tremor in my voice. Brother Shekor’s eyes were gentle as he placed a hand on my shoulder.
“That, I do not know. The deities can only show us pieces of what is to come. It is up to you on whether or not you heed that warning.”
With another squeeze to my shoulder, he walked swiftly and silently off towards the main worship area where the people from the city were starting to gather. I looked back at the statue of Los, and quickly bowed before standing. I walked out of the temple, careful to avoid bumping into anyone as I thought about Los’ warning.
Something whirled past my head, causing me to look up from my feet. Witori was smiling at my brightly, the smile even reaching her bright, blue eyes. Her dark skin shone in the sunlight, making her look a living statue.
“I am sorry Arden. Did the ball almost hit you?” she asked with a laugh. A large arm wrapped itself around my shoulder, and I looked up to see Lucar grinning down at me with the ball in his other hand.
“I am sure you had nothing to do with the fact that it almost did, Luc,” I glared up at him.
“Of course I did not! What kind of friend would I be if I had knowingly almost caused you bodily harm?”
“A bad one,” I countered pointedly, earning a laugh from the bigger warrior.
“Dearest Arden, things are going to be so boring without you around to play with,” said Witori.
“I am sure you will manage, Tori,” I answered dryly.
“I suppose we will just have to make due with Noel until you return,” Luc sighed.
“Will she be back in time to see me off before I leave?” I inquired hopefully. Noel was our closest friend, and was also very successful. She had been spending time up in the mountain city of Garschtone for the past few weeks, and was due back any day.
“I am afraid not, Arden. She is scheduled back the day after you leave,” frowned Tori. I sighed, earning a squeeze from Luc.
“Hey there, Little One! Do not frown! You will be back in plenty of time to have a reunion!” he smiled. I smiled back up at him before walking towards the main area of the city.
“I will see you both later! I have to go speak with my mother to finish preparing for my departure.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Please leave feedback!