Status: Hope you like my first submission!

More Than What Seems

The Beginning

The skies were dark, and brooding in lament over the monolithic dome. The sharp ornate peaks, normally golden, were now gray and shapeless. The vast courtyard was cloaked in shadows. It was almost as if the horizon was alluding to the events that would soon transpire.
Earlier that day I can recall the scent of fresh alpine lilies wafting through the warm summer wind. The sun, warm and inviting, beamed brightly—heating the granite stones that comprised the majestic courtyard. The sounds of large groups of tourist laughing, yelling and singing in the far off distance trickled into the expansive space. Cardinals draped in scarlet and gold robes made their way across the courtyard in the most magisterial of manners. The colorful uniforms of the Swiss Guards shone brightly in the summer sun. It was ironic really, that men of the most astute—fastidious nature, would wear colorful garb that would make most jesters feel modest in comparison. They stood watch at the gargantuan doors of the entrance. Meticulously scanning the large crowds for any signs of trouble, I could only imagine seeing a large black man in a tuxedo was startling…to say the least.
Looking up at the entrance, one cannot help but feel…insignificant. Such majesty, such beauty in its purest form. The curved ceiling was expansive, and seemed to stretch to infinity. Wrapped around the top of the cathedral was scripture from the book of Peter…encased in solid gold lettering. Each letter stood at well over six feet tall. Mosaic tiling lined the walls with beautiful imaginings of various scenes from the bible. I walked further in, and notice beneath an offering tray on an old oak stand…a relief of a small golden symbol elevated slightly.
“Curious.” I thought to myself. Intrigued, I reach down to brush away some of the dust that time had allowed to collect. When I touched it, the symbol suddenly retracted. The oak stand began churning and shaking. Begrudgingly, the stand made way and slid to the side revealing a secret passage that led deep beneath the church.
The Darkness that lined the tunnel seemed to ensnare the sense. Completely consumed by raw blackness, it was disorientating to even look a foot in front of you. The smell of wet stone and moss permeated my nose. I can’t quite explain it, but something, an invisible force, was compelling me to explore the destination of that tunnel. Against my better judgment, I complied. I let the darkness envelope me as I crossed the threshold of sanity, entering the tunnel.
Thee moment I entered the dark abyss; I immediately feel an immense pressure in my head and chest. It felt as if a massive hand was pushing against my chest, relentlessly. I felt my skull beginning to cave in. I was completely ready to give in the pressure. I was ready to allow myself to be taken in by the darkness. When suddenly, the pressure stopped. I found myself aloft a pile of hay, slung messily in a corner of a dimly lit room. Once my eyes adjusted, I noticed a series of ornate triangles on the adjacent wall....
♠ ♠ ♠
To be continued