This Wasn't Supposed to Happen

The Sorting

Chapter 3

As we pulled into Hogsmeade Station it was already dark and I was greeted with an amazing view, in front of us was a massive castle. The towers were high up the ends hidden in the clouds. This was never how I imagined Hogwarts and not how anyone had ever actually described it!

“First years this way, come on, this way” a deep voice erupted making me jump. An extremely tall man who was around 8 ft who I immediately recognised as Hagrid, I had met Hagrid a few times before now and he always seemed nice, next to him stood a gingered haired and a boy with black hair and glasses, instantly I knew this to be the famous Harry Potter, my cousin. He had no idea who I was and didn't know his mum even had another sister. It was for the best though and I prefer things this way. I grabbed Charlotte's hand and weaved my way through a sea of black robes to get to Hagrid, leaving Claire behind to join her friend who smiled politely at me . Hagrid shouted again a further 5 times for first years but no one else seemed to join our huddled group.

“Right, I think this is everyone” he boomed over the crowd.

“Follow me, come on this way.”

We all climbed onto small boats and as soon as the last child, a chubby boy with large ears and big teeth, climbed into the boat they took off at a slow pace across the black sea. When we got to the other side of the lake we climbed up cobblestone stairs up to the mesmerising castle. As we got to the top of the stairs we approached a rather large oak door and Hagrid, knocked slightly on the door it was almost silent, suddenly a dark haired witch appeared from the door.

“OK, boys and girls in a few moments we will walk through these doors into the Great Hall and join the rest of the school. However before you can completely join the rest of the school you will be sorted into your houses, the houses are Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff and Slytherin. While you’re here at Hogwarts your houses will be like your family, your good efforts will be rewarded and you incidents will be punished and it will affect your whole house. At the end of each year there is a house cup and the house with the most points will win.” With that said she turned on her heels and walked through the oak doors again, only to return a moment later.

“We’re ready for you know” Charlotte latched onto my hand to and when I looked at her she had a nervous look on her face which I returned with a small smile, we walked hand in hand through the Great hall shaking with nerves and excitement.

“When I call your name you will come up and sit on the stool and I will place the hat on your head. Ok, Hermione Granger.” The girl who had come into the compartment on the train looking for a toad stepped up to the stool. I couldn’t quite hear what the hat was saying.

“Gryffindor!” a huge cheer erupted from the Gryffindor table in celebration of gaining another member of their house.

The sorting ceremony carried on, me and Charlotte both lost interest and didn’t pay attention to who else was called up. Suddenly a boy with hair almost white caught my attention and my look on her face he caught Charlotte's.

“Slytherin!” the hat shouted before it was even fully on his head.

“Charlotte Smith!” Charlotte all of a sudden looked panicked and stumbled slightly. As she began to walk off she gave me what looked like a hopeful look. The hat was placed on her head and she looked more relaxed.

“SLYTHERIN” I grinned happily! She was with Claire. Charlotte headed to the Slytherin table and sat next to Claire and her friend , a girl with controlled curly, red hair flowing down just below her shoulder blades and green eyes.

They began conversation, I watched nervously, I still hadn’t been called up yet.

“Melony Black” it’s time… my name had been called. As the hat was placed on my head it began to speak to me. “Hmm well, well, well, the long lost cousin of Harry Potter hey, the future looks bright for you, just where to put you, both parents were great wizards and your godfather is the one and only Severus Snape isn't this wonderful. Well it'll just have to be...”

“SLYTHERIN” I watched as Charlotte, Claire and Ashley, Claire's friend, stood up and cheered louder than the rest of the Slytherin table. After the last kid was called up and put in to Hufflepuff, the dark haired witch tapped her fork against her glass silencing everyone, Professor Dumbledore stood up with his hands in the air announcing her was about to talk

“Welcome, welcome to another year at Hogwarts School of witchcraft and wizardry. Now before we begin our feast I would like to say a few words and they are Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak! Hehe let the feast begin!” and as if by magic the food appeared, oh wait… it is magic ha-ha. Across all four tables there was a wide range of food of all different kinds there were every kind of potato and meat and vegetables you could ever imagine was just sitting in front of me waiting to be eaten, and with that I began to eat, grabbing roast potatoes, mashed potatoes, gammon, chicken, peas, carrots, cauliflower and to top it all off a massive helping of gravy. Charlotte looked as if she was in heaven and began scoffing food in her mouth at once, the girl could eat.

“Now I would like to make another notice, the third floor corridor is out of bounds to all of those who do not wish to die the most painful death. And with that said, enjoy your desert.” Dumbledore boomed over the noise of everyone meeting new people and making friends and for the second time today the tables filled with mountains of food, cakes, ice-cream, toffee, fudge, sherbet, all kinds of wizard sweats and muggle swears too. Ok now I am in heaven.

“I trust you all enjoyed your feast, if the prefects could escort your houses up to your dorm rooms I would be most grateful. Good night everyone. Enjoy your evening” once again Dumbledore brought the whole hall to silence. That man never fails to get people’s attention.