Work in Progress

The Beginning

I woke up drenched in sweat and my heart pounding wildly, almost painfully, against my chest. Once my eyes adjusted to the darkness around me I realized I was sitting up in my bed. I looked at the clock on the night stand next to my bed. It read 4:30 a.m. I sighed as I threw my covers off my legs and turned so that I was sitting on the edge of my bed. It was too early to be up but I’d rather not go back to bed and risking having another nightmare.

I walked into the kitchen and saw my roommate and best friend Lindsey sitting at the table. Her eyes were glued to the book in front of her on the table. Beside the book sat a cup of freshly poured coffee.

“So when do you drink coffee?” I asked plopping down in a chair across the table from her.

“It’s for you.” She pushed the cup towards me, not even looking up.

“I love you,” I said wrapping my hands around the cup. I waited for a response but she just kept reading. Okay then. “What are you reading?”

“A book,” she answered. I glared at her. Although I couldn’t see her face, I knew she was smirking. Bitch.

“You got up at four thirty just to read a book?” It was then she finally looked up. Sighing, she closed her book.

“I figured you’d come out here. I really think you should see a therapist.” I narrowed my eyes at her and replied coldly,

“I’m fine.” Lindsey just shook her head sternly.

“You are not fine. People who are fine do not have nightmares every night for two weeks in a row.” I just sat there waiting for her continue. I knew there was more to say.

“People are raped all the time Lindsey,” I said in response to her unspoken words as I crossed my arms over my chest and leaned back in the chair.

“You need to talk to somebody who can help you deal with your feelings.”

“My feelings are fine thank you,” I replied stubbornly. She glared at me. I sighed in defeat. “Alright I’ll see a therapist but just once!”

“Yay!” Lindsey exclaimed happily. I just laughed and looked down at my cup of coffee.

“I’m sorry coffee.”

“You just apologized to a cup of coffee.” I looked up and saw Lindsey staring strangely at me.

“Yea so?” I said almost defensively.

“You need more help than I thought.” I just stuck my tongue out at her. She shook her head.

“Mature Gabriella.”

“I know,” I grinned widely. Lindsey stood up and pushed her chair in.

“I’m going back to sleep.” She walked out of the kitchen down the hallway. For seconds later I heard her door close.

I finished my coffee and went back to bed. Surprisingly I fell asleep almost instantly.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know its not much and pretty boring, but got to start somewhere eh?