Status: In the progress

Major League Sandlot

2

Shit. Shit. Shit.

Nothing good can ever come from the manager wanting to talk to you alone. The last time this happened I was traded from the Astros, not that I'm complaining or anything. I don't want to get traded, now the sensible part of my brain was trying to creep in and say hey, the Pirates have been having some injuries, I might be getting called up. As always. The sensible part of me lost the battle.

"What did you want to talk to me about?" I asked once my heart slowed enough to talk.
"Erin, you know the injuries the Pirates have been facing lately?"
"Yeah, we all know the Pirates are playing like the Penguins right now." Can't beat their own division and are fighting the injury bug. Right now someone just need to get the mumps and it's like the Penguins all over again.
"A you know the injury bug hit Pittsburgh then. Well, Neal Huntington decided something needed to be down.

I didn't give him a chance to finish before I blurted out, "I've been traded, haven't I?"
"Where did you get the idea that you were traded?"
"I've had this conversation before."
"I know, but congratulations Erin, you just made history," Dean Treanor said.
"What?" I just made history? What the hell did that mean?"
"Erin, you're getting called up to the big leagues."
What! I need to call Ian, he's never going to believe this, and he’ll just need to go to Pittsburgh.

“You’ll meet up with the team in St. Louis,” Dean said.
“OK.” WIth that I walked out of the room and finished packing up my stuff.

I couldn’t believe it, I was going to the majors. I waited to call Ian when I got back to the small apartment I now share with Tyler. I saw Tyler taking up the whole couch when I opened the door, "Tyler, move. I want to sit down."
"There's a chair over there." Some days I really wanted to hurt this kid.
"Tyler," I whined, "in two days you'll have this place all to yourself, let me sit down."
"Why will I have this place to myself. You didn't get traded, did you?"
"Yeah, I got traded Tyler."
"To whom, Chicago?"
"Pittsburgh," I told him.
"What! You got called up?"
"Yup, and I need to call my brother right now before he leaves Ann Arbor tomorrow."
"Have fun with that."

I called my brother twice before he finally answered his phone,"Erin, it's almost midnight, I need to get up early tomorrow so I can drive down there to see you."
"Ian,"I sniffled, "you don't need to come down here anymore, I'm not going to be playing."
"Erin, what happened?"
"I-I go-got tra-traded,"I cried into the phone. I really wanted to see his face right now, it took everything not to start laughing.
"What! Are the Pirates stupid? Who'd you get traded to?"
"Pittsburgh," I mumbled.
"Erin, really, what's going on?" Ian asked, not finding my game as funny as I was.
"Ian, I got called up, I'm joining that idiot Gerrit who I punched in the face."

I should probably explain what I just told my brother. You see good Pirates fans would know that the blooming ace Gerrit Cole went to UCLA, University of California, Los Angeles. If you learned anything about my little self rant early, you'd know I went to USC, University of Southern California. These two schools are separated by about 13 miles, so students are bound to meet, kind of like Gerrit and I.

Ok story time: I was a bright eyed freshman in a brand new state and I was hungry. Gerrit knew this city back and forth(I think, he grew up an hour away) and he was in what would be his last year of college since he got drafted.

I wasn't paying much attention to what I was doing, I was honestly just looking for something to eat. Gerrit was also walking through LA, but he was with his girlfriend(now fiancé), Amy Crawford. They were talking and I wasn't paying attention, I think everyone knows what happens next.

In my defense I just put togethering some random guy grabbing my arm and that's happened one too many times. So I did the only thing I knew what to do is this situation, I punch him square in the nose.

This event resulted in me and Gerrit becoming friends, by some miracle. It would take a little longer to get Amy on my good side, and it would take a similar event(remind me to tell you later). I also met my boyfriend in the same way, a story for another time. Anyway back to me pissing off my brother.

"You got called up?"he asked, stunned.
"What don't you believe in you sister?"
"Not, but-"
"Ian, I get it. I've only been in the minors for a year and a little bit. So meet you in St. Louis then?
"Sure, why St. Louis?"
"That's where I'm joining the team. They're playing St. Louis this upcoming series,"I explained.
"Alright, Blues country it is."
"See you then Ian."
"See you then Erin, good luck."