I Guess You Can Call These...

Short Summer Days, Amazing Summer Nights

For: RileighRadical

I slammed the door behind me and punched the nearest wall.
“Chill Godzilla, what happened?” asked my older brother, James, asked.
“It’s what didn’t happen!” I yelled throwing my things on the floor. “My volleyball coach put me on JV instead of Varsity. She knows I’m the best damn player on that whole team. I’m more dedicated and I have better sportsmanship than the other posters on the team. I heard half the team say that they only joined because soccer was filled up and they didn’t want to play field hockey or run track. What kind of shit is that!” I yelled pacing back and forth.
“You have such good sportsmanship,” he said rolling his eyes; my brother’s best friend, Mason or Shea, his middle name. Shea and I were around the same age and have a few classes together. He had nice blue eyes and short brown hair. He was a little taller than me and overall very handsome.
I flipped him off and continued to pace around the floor.
“Rileigh, you need to calm down. You’re a amazing player you’ll be on Varsity in no time. Didn’t you have your first game today? Your coach is just testing the water. Relax and watch T.V with us,” James said patting a place for me.
I took a deep breath and shook my head. “I’m going to take a shower and read a little. Is there any food?” I asked heading towards the stairs.
“Ice,” James replied. “Mom should be home with something,”
“Fingers crossed,” I said walking up stairs with my things.
I made my way to my room and everything that I would need for the bathroom.
I walked across the hall towards the bathroom and closed the door.
I kept the lights off, the light from the window was enough, and turned on the hot water then added the cold water moments later.
I took off my uniform and got into the shower.
I wasn’t in any rush so I stayed under the running water for a while before washing off.
I turned off the water and grabbed my towel and wrapped it around my body before stepping out.
I took another towel and began to dry my wet brown hair.
As I did I looked at my reflection. I had hazel eyes, long straight hair and I’m pretty tall.
Once my hair was pretty dry, I dried myself off and put on a clean pair of underwear.
Just as I was going to reach for my bra the bathroom door opened.
I turned around quickly, covering my boobs, as Shea walked in.
“Shit! Sorry, um… I’ll be…” he said trying not to look at me but failing.
“Get out,” I said calmly.
“Right,” Shea said before leaving.
I sighed and grabbed my bra and got dressed quickly.
I walked out of the bathroom and headed to my room.
Moments later I heard footsteps going up the stairs.
I sighed and fell on my bed replaying the bathroom incident over and over in my head.
I sighed and reached over to my nightstand to grab the book I was reading, North Of Beautiful.
It was a really good book. It’s basically about finding yourself and finding true love I guess.
I was determined to finish is before school started, which is soon, but I’m almost done.
As I read I wondered if Shea and I would ever have a relationship like Terra and Jacob. We aren’t close but we don’t hate each other but we aren’t friends either.
Ugh! I was doing it again; thinking about him.
I’ve been doing that a lot lately, I couldn’t help it.
He consumed my thoughts and invaded my dreams.
I wonder if I was on his mind?
Well, I am now that he saw me half naked.
“Are you decent?” Shea asked slightly opening my door.
“You could just knock,” I pointed out as he walked in.
“True,” he said looking at the floor. “Um, James is getting pizza he told me to tell you that he’ll be back soon. Also, sorry about earlier,”
“It’s fine, I guess,” I said not really looking at him.
After some awkwardness Shea looked at my book. “What are you reading?”
“North of Beautiful, it’s pretty good,”
“What’s it about?”
“Finding yourself mostly,”
“Oh, cool. I’ll leave you to it, I’m downstairs if you need me,” he said heading towards the door. “Oh, Rileigh, you are very beautiful, remember that,”
I smiled as Shea left my room.
Moments later James came home with lunch and the three of us eat it off.
Mom called shortly after saying that she’ll be home late.
Around that time Shea left to do parkour.
James and I spent the rest of the day in our rooms until our parents came home.
****
The next morning I was awaken by the bright sun invading my room.
As I laid in bed I replayed my dream in my head.
It all seemed so real; our lips touching, his hands holding me close to him, my fingers running through his hair.
The more I thought about it the more I longed for a kiss from Mason Shea Rainwater.
I small smile formed on my lips, I will be seeing him again today.
A mural friend of ours, Dave, was having a party today. My best friend, Jill, wanted me to go.
She was coming over to day to hangout.
Jill came around two and we hung out and got ready together.
By seven we were ready to go and my mom took us.
We reassured her that Dave’s parents were home and everything was okay.
I told her to give us three hours before she drove off.
Jill and I made our way into the house filled with kids from school and some unfamiliar faces.
“You came,” Shea said in my ear.
I smiled as I turned around. “Yeah”.
“Well, in that case…care to dance?”
“Sure,” I said taking his hand that he extended for me.
Shea placed his hands on my hips as we danced together.
We couldn’t talk much do to the loud music, so Shea led me outside.
There were one or two couples outside but not much.
Shea took my hand as we walked around and talked about nothing really.
We sat by the pool and joked around.
Moments later my phone buzzed and I answered it.
“Hello?”
“I’m outside,” my mom said on the other line.
“Three hours already?”
“Yeah, let’s go,” she said hanging up.
“Well, I’ve got to go, later,” I said standing up and texted Jill to meet me outside.
“I’ll see you around then,” Shea said hugging me awkwardly
“Sounds good,” I said walking around to the front of the house.
I should have kissed him, I thought as Jill and I climbed into my mom’s car.
Once we were home Jill and I got ready for bed.
Jill had a little to drink so she was passed out before I was.
Before I joined her on the floor I checked my phone and there was a text.
‘I’m outside’.
I frowned and read the text again.
It was from Shea.
I quietly went down stairs and outside.
“Shea!” I whispered as I looked around.
“About time,” he said walking over to me.
“What are you doing out here?”
“I forgot to get something from you,”
“What?”
He wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me into a kiss; a sweet, gentle little kiss.
I smiled and kissed him back and rested my arms on his shoulders.
We pulled away and smiled at each other.
“Night girlfriend,” He whispered.
“Night boyfriend”.