I Guess You Can Call These...

That Guy

Find a guy who calls you beautiful instead of hot, who calls you back when you hang up on him, who will lie under the stars and listen to your heartbeat, or will stay awake just to watch you sleep. Wait for the boy who kisses your forehead, who wants to show you off to the world when you are in sweats, who holds your hand in front of his friends, who thinks you're just as pretty without makeup on. One who is constantly reminding you of how much he cares and how lucky his is to have you. The one who turns to his friends and says, 'that's her.'”
That’s the kind of guy I wanted, the only kind of guy really.
There weren’t many left in world.
I had decided to give up on finding that perfect guy. I was sure that they didn’t exist.
The men in my life weren’t the best, to say the least.
My brother is in jail, my father walked out on me and my mom. My grandfather is a dead beat and my great grandpa was too.
My mom gave up on love, but I still believed that there had to be guy for me.
Right?
Wrong, none of them were the guys I wanted.
I had to admit it wasn’t the prettiest girl out there but I wasn’t the ugliest.
I liked the way I looked and didn’t feel the need to change that.
During my junior year of high school, we had a new student, also known as the best looking guy in school.
His name was Mark Anderson.
I didn’t pay him any attention.
He was just like the rest.
I had a few classes with Mark. We never spoke or noticed each other.
One day it was raining, thundering and lighting, and I was walking to school.
My umbrella was worthless and my hood wasn’t doing any good.
Cars pasted me by splashing the dirty rain water on my shoes.
A black BMW slowed down and rolled down the window.
It was Mark.
He smiled at me. “Get in,” he said.
I smiled and hurried into the car.
Mama didn’t raise no fool.
I buckled up and Mark turned on the heat.
“You’re soaked,” he said.
“Yeah, not the best umbrella,”
“I have extra clothes if you want them,”
I smiled. “I’ll be fine,”
“Okay,” he said as he drove to school.
He found a close parking spot in the student’s parking lot and took out his umbrella.
“I’ll come and get you,” he said getting out of the car.
He hurried to my side with the umbrella open and opened the car door for me.
I stepped out and joined him under the umbrella.
“Ready?”
I nodded and we hurried inside.
“Thanks,” I said once we were inside the school.
“Any time, Terra,”
I smiled. He knew my name.
We went our separate ways and saw each other again in homeroom.
****
Over the past couple of days, Mark and I started to hang out.
He was the perfect guy for me.
He tells me I’m beautiful all the time, holds my hand when we cross a busy street, hugs me to warm me up, and tutors me in science.
We started dating a week over so after the rainy day.
No one seemed to understand why a hottie like Mark would date a girl like me.
He simply smiles and says, “We were made for each other”.
I guess I was wrong.
There is a guy who will call you beautiful instead of hot, who will call you back when you hang up on him, who will lie under the stars and listen to your heartbeat, or will stay awake just to watch you sleep. There will be a boy who kisses your forehead, who wants to show you off to the world when you are in sweats, who holds your hand in front of his friends, who thinks you're just as pretty without makeup on. The one guy who constantly reminds you how much he cares about you and how lucky he is to have you. Mark is the one who turns to his friends and says, “that’s her, that’s my girl,”.