Violet Eyes

one.

Aerdon places a hot kettle of water on the pad in the center of the dining table and takes a seat next to her husband. She turns over two tea cups, crushes the mint leaves between her fingers and sprinkles it into the cups. She reaches for the kettle when she feels a tingle in the pit of her stomach. She looks into Drafin’s eyes and they share a smile.
"Mom!" I squeal from upstairs.
"It must be time!" Aerdon exclaims. She and her husband run upstairs to the bathroom.
"Zaryth, let me in please." Aerdon says with her hand on the door knob.
"Okay, but only you!"
Aerdon passes her husband an apologetic glance and slips inside the bathroom door.
"What is this!" I screech and pull my hair to the side for my mother to get a good look at my now pointed ears.
"I've been waiting so long for this day!" Her mother exclaims." I stare at my mother waiting for an explanation. "You're not necessarily human.”
“What?”
"We’re part of a race that is more evolved than humans.” Aerdon repeats. "Your ears are not the only thing that will change." She begins. "Your hair and eyes will change as well."
"I don't understand..."
"Let me show you." Aerdon says. I watch as my mother’s hair changes from chocolate brown to silver; her brown eyes turn a violet purple, and her pointed ears peak out of her hair. Her pale skin almost glows and there's a slight rose color to her cheeks. I don’t even recognize her anymore.
"I'm sorry we've kept this from you, Zaryth. We weren't sure it would pass to you, and we didn't want to give you false hope. I am so happy it did." I look back at my reflection in the mirror and am shocked to see my beautiful red hair turning silver at the roots.
"I don't feel so good." I say holding clenching my stomach.
"The change is never easy, you're going to feel uneasy for a few days." My mother reaches into the cupboard beside her for a wash cloth. “This change- it’s almost as if a new part of your brain is opening. All of your senses are going to enhance: your sight, hearing, sense of smell, taste. You’ll have access to information your brain has stored.”
What is she talking about… The uneasy feeling is now in my throat and I quickly turn to the toilet to let it out.

___

Camden sat at his desk waiting for her to enter the classroom. He was disappointed when the final bell rang and there was no sign of her. Zaryth hadn't been to class at all that week and he was beginning to get worried. She wouldn't answer his calls or texts; he decides he will go to her house after school, he'll bring her school work with him as an excuse to see her.

___

Camden grabs his backpack out his locker and shuts it with a slam. As he turns around her sees Zaryth's mother speaking to Principal Henry. He waits for them to finish talking before approaching her.
"Hi Mrs. Cook." He starts. "I haven't seen Zaryth all week. Is she okay?"
Aerdon passes him a sympathetic smile. "Yes, she's just come down with the flu. She will be fine in a few days."
"Oh, I see. Will you have her text me?" He asks hopefully.
"I will let her know you asked about her." She replies. "Have a nice afternoon, Camden."
"You too..." He says. He stands there for a moment confused about their conversation. Mrs. Cook didn't seem genuine in her response about Zaryth, he wasn't convinced she was sick.
Camden and Zaryth grew up together. They were neighbors as kids and would spend hours playing together. Camden's family moved a few neighborhoods away but their friendship was always strong. If Camden had his way, they'd be more than friends by now, but Zaryth insisted they stay only friends.
____

I sat staring at my reflection in the vanity mirror. How could I ever return to school looking like this? My skin, once freckled with zits and pimples, is now completely clear. My pale green eyes now a dark purple; and my hair - once a bright red now completely Silver. A knock on my bedroom door distracts me briefly.
My mother enters holding a tray that contained biscuits and the makings of her best tea. "How are you feeling?" Aerdon asks while pouring hot water over the crushed leaves.
"How am I going to explain this to anyone?" I ask. "How did you hide it from me?"
"It was all an illusion." My mother replies and hands me a freshly poured mug of tea. I take it graciously. "Your brain only showed you what you wanted to see, like most humans. You will learn to access different parts of your brain, and thus see a lot more of the world.
“How do I hide it from others?”
"You don’t need to. You only saw what you wanted of me, and they will only see what they wanted of you. The only ones who will see you for who you truly are, are the ones who are like you." She says, “There are some humans who will see the change in you, but only those who truly care for you.”
“What do I do about those people?” I ask, mostly with Camden in mind.
“There’s not much you can do. Many people your age experiment with new looks.”
“Their ears don’t change shape…” I sigh.
“So you’ll learn a few new hairstyles.” She says with a shrug and begins for the door.
“How will I know who the others like me are?”
“They’ll stand out to you,” She says with a sarcastic tilt of the head. “You’re returning to school next week. You’ve had far enough time to cope.”
I let out a dramatic sigh. My mother rolls her eyes and leaves the room. I flop on my stomach onto my bed and pick up my phone from the pillow. 3 messages and 1 missed call- all from Camden. Does he ever stop? I toss my phone to the other side of the bed and turn around to stare at the ceiling; I still had so many questions about being this race, whatever it was. I didn’t want this, I want to be normal. I didn’t want the purple eyes or silver hair or pointy ears. I may not be able to do much about the ears or eyes, but there is this fantastic human invention called hair dye.
I grab my brown purse and throw the strap over my shoulder and head downstairs to the front door.
“Where are you going?” My father inquires. I take a step back and look at him. He’s sitting on the couch in the living room reading a newspaper. I can now see him as he truly is. His hair is long and white, tied in a braid that falls below his shoulder. His eyes are the same violet purple as mine, and his pointed ears stick out of his hair.
“I need fresh air.” I lie. It will be some time before I get used to seeing my parents so differently. Drafin raises his eyebrow at me then returns to his newspaper.
“Might want to do something about your head.” He mumbles. I looks at myself in the hall mirror. Rolling my eyes, I grab a beanie off the coat rack. I pull it onto my head and begin tucking my hair up into it. I didn’t want anyone to see my new silver locks.
I make it halfway down the stone path of my front yard when I look up and see him, Camden. I quickly tuck the last loose strand of hair into my beanie.
“Zar!” Camden exclaims and steps toward me. “Woah, you look different.” He says while taking in my new radiant glow and bright violet eyes.
“Leave me alone, Cam.” I snap and push past him onto the sidewalk.
“Wait, Zar!” He starts and walks after me. “I thought you were sick, your mom said you had the flu.” I turn around and glare at him. “Do I look sick to you?” I ask the turn back around. “Just leave me alone.” I start a small jog to get away from him. Camden stands alone on the sidewalk in front of my house, confused why his best friend acted like I wanted nothing to do with him. I felt bad, but I needed to get this sorted out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Aerdon - Air - don
Drafin - Dray - fin
Zaryth - Zar - ith