Violet Eyes

three.

There's another world across from me right now?" I ask. My mother nods. "How come I don't see anything?"
"Just go!" Aerdon pushes.
"You go first..." I resist her nudge. I am resilient to trust that stepping into the large dark cave will bring me into another world.
"Hold my hand, we'll walk together." She says and grabs my hand. We step in sync into the cave. I close my eyes, scared of what they may walk into.
"Open your eyes." Aerdon says and I do just in time to see my mother rolling hers. The world we stepped into was far different than how I expected it. We had walked into what felt like the center of a large market. It was very busy, the shops were built into the large trees and caves. Some people dressed like them and others were dressed in old intricate clothing, similar to the dress Aerdon showed me.
"I know just the place to find a dress for you." Aerdon says and pulls me toward a shop.
The shop my mother chose was built into a tree. A small sign with a simple painting of a dress hung from a branch. Looking at the outside, you'd never guess how big it was on the inside. I tried to guess how they managed to fit a whole store into a tree but gave up when her head started to throb.
"Oh Aerdon!" A lady with long brown hair approaches, arms wide ready for a hug. Aerdon meets the lady with the same enthusiasm.
"Marqueda it is so lovely to see you!" I study the lady, she was dressed in a patched up dress and sandals. Her hair nearly reached her bum and had a few small braids. She had a beautiful face and complexion, but she didn't look quite like an elf.
"Marqueda, this is my daughter, Zaryth." Aerdon says and steps to the side to let the lady take a look at me.
"You are absolutely stunning." Marqueda says and lifts my chin with her finger. I wasn't sure if that compliment was special or if everyone was just friendly here. I smile and say my thanks.
"We need a dress for Nim Loth thursday evening."
"Of course, anything for you my dear friend. Come with me dear." She says and walks towards a curtained room. There were fabrics of every color scattered across the tables.
"I know just what to do for you. Let me just take your measurements." She says. I stood still as she measured every inch of my. I thought it weird she used a piece of rope and not a measuring tape but she must have been doing this for hundreds of years. She finishes and dismisses me. I return to the front room to see my mother talking with someone. They turn to me as I enter.
The lady stares at me, studying me. I know I've said everyone was beautiful here, but she was something else. She had the same purple eyes and silver hair my family shared. Her hair was tied in a side braid that reached her hip and she wore a small gold tiara on her head and was dressed in an exquisite green gown that reached the ground. I felt the urge to curtesy in her presence, and I felt embarrassed when my knees bent and I couldn't resist the gesture.
"Please dear, there is no need." The lady says and reaches for my hand. "I've been waiting for so long to meet you."
"Zaryth, this is my sister, Thalia."
"You're my aunt?" I ask.
"She is." My mother confirms. A grandmother and an aunt, I wonder who else they've been hiding from me.
"Are my grandparents here, too?" I ask, curious of my family.
"Yes, you will meet them tomorrow."
"Why didn't you tell me about them?" I ask suddenly angry that my mother had decided to hide an important part of my life from me.
"I didn't want you to ask questions." She says, her face unapologetic. "I know you may be confused now, but we were unsure you would even make the change, and knowing you had family you would never be able to meet would have been worse than not knowing at all."
"Dear, there is so much you will learn from me." Thalia says she strokes my cheek and stares intensely into my eyes.
"Come Zaryth, we need to pick out a tiara for the ceremony. My mother says and leads me out of the shop, my aunt close behind.
"Mother has already chosen one, Aerdon."
"Oh, of course. I should have assumed she would have chosen already." She says exasperated. "Is there anything left to do?"
"No, everything has been prepared." Thalia says then turns to me. "Please be here at noon Thursday."
"We will be here." My mother says and places her hands protectively on my shoulders. Thalia nods and walks away.
"I don't even know what to say to you." I finally admit to mother. She can clearly hear the disappointment in my voice.
"There is nothing to be said at this moment to make you believe I did what was in your best interest." I stare at her blankly. "Let's go home. You have homework to do before school tomorrow." How does she expect me to concentrate on homework when I've just learned so much about myself?