Violet Eyes

five.

You know that feeling you get when someone is staring at you? That’s how I’ve felt every day at school since my transformation. And guess who is always the culprit? That’s right, Katherine, or one of the other elves from her clique. I try to ignore it, but sometimes the feeling of constantly being watched is unbearable.
“Why do you keep looking at them?” Cam asks, “What did Katherine say to you the other day?”
“Nothing, don’t worry about it.” I mumble and return to my math work. Mr. Finn was returning the tests from our quiz Tuesday.
“Very good work, Zaryth.” He says as he hands my paper to me. A. Camden looks over my shoulder.
“When did you learn math?” He teases. But he’s right, math was worst subject. Now everything just came so easy, I imagine this is what it’s like to have a photographic memory. I glance behind Katherine to catch her glaring in my direction. The dismissal bell chimes and Camden quickly packs his things.
“You coming?” He asks while swinging his backpack over his shoulder.
“I’ll catch up with you later.” I respond and he rolls his eyes. I still had a few assignments I wanted to finish before heading home.
I stood at my locker when I hear footsteps, a lot of them. I looked around but the hallways were empty. I let my ears focus on the sound and I hear voices talking.
“She’s not even interested in any of this stuff.” I hear a voice say.
“She’s not yet, but she’s new. Who knows what could happen when she gains more knowledge, more power. She is a princess, too. I have a plan though.” The other voice says smugly. It was Katherine. And I did not doubt that she was talking about me. A princess? I know my parents said royalty but I didn’t put together the hierarchy.
“Thalia doesn’t have any children. She could rule Pelkelu and leave Faerdon to you.” A third voice chimes in, this one was a man.
“What is your plan?”
Suddenly the footsteps stop and I can no longer hear them talking. I close my longer and turn around to find them standing behind me, all seven of the other elves at my school.
“What are you still doing here?” Katherine asks, trying to intimidate me. It didn’t work when I was a normal human, it’s not going to work now.
“I don’t think that’s any of your business.” I reply with a shrug. I turn to leave and one of them, Toby, steps in front of me.
“I am going to be queen of Faerdon when King Theron steps down.” Katherine says.
“I wasn’t really interested in it until you brought it up.” I say and swing the strap of my backpack over my shoulder. “But now that you mention it, being a queen does sound kind of fun.” I reply with a smirk. “It’s nice to know I’m a threat to you. Now, if you’d excuse me.” I try to push past Toby but the rest of them surround me.
“Move.”
“Make me.” Katherine says.
“Move!” I demand and with that, they fall to the floor on their bums. They all stare up at me with a shocked expression, an expression that sits upon my face as well.
“How did you do that?” Katherine asks, while standing up. I shake my head at her in disbelief and bolt towards the door. I’m thankful to find that none of them are following me.

“What’s wrong?” My mother asks. I had been stirring the soup in front of me for a while.
“Can we use magic?” I ask starring into my soup.
“No, magic hasn’t been around for centuries.” She says. “Why do you ask?”
“I think I did it. I think I used magic today.” I look up to see the curios look on Aerdon’s face.
“What happened?”
“Katherine and her friends cornered me today, and I yelled move and they flew back.”
“Do you think you could do it again if you tried?” She asks. I shrug. “Here, try to move this,” She says and puts an apple on the table in front of me.
I concentrate on the apple, trying to use my mind to move it. It doesn’t move.
“Do exactly what you did when you did it to them.” She says.
I stand up and yell, “Move!” It doesn’t. “I felt threatened when I did it to them.” I explain.
“Okay, let’s go then.” My mother says and grabs my head. We head out the front door and walk a couple blocks to the highway.
“What are we doing?” I ask.
“I have studied many books about the use of magic. Most indicate the practicing elf felt the presence of magic more when they felt threatened as their body would naturally call the power to them. We must try it.”
I stand in the middle of the highway feeling extremely ridiculous and a little terrified. My mother stood behind me which only added to the pressure. If I don't actually have magic, we would be run over. It wouldn't kill us, but it didn't mean it wouldn't be extremely painful. It was about 9pm on a Wednesday night and there were few cars so we stood waiting anxiously. I spot a semi in the distance.
As it approaches a knot feeling grows in my stomach. I put both hands out in front of me, palms flat. The truck is about a half mile away and when the driver sees us and hits the horn.
I close my eyes and yell, "Stop!" It does, completely shuts down, dead in its tracks. The driver’s face was horrified.
I face my mom who is beaming with joy. "We have to tell your father!" We rush home.
"Drafin!" My mother shouts as we enter the house.
"There you are. Where have you been? Soups cold..." He says sitting at the dining table.
"Zaryth can use magic." My mom blurts. Dad sits there staring at me, mid spoonful.
"I didn't believe her either. But I had her prove it."
"I can still feel it." I admit and they turn their attention to me. I stare at the apple in the middle of the table. Lift I think. It takes a few moments, but the apple finally lifts from the table into the air.
"Would you look at that?" Drafin says and drops his spoon into the soup bow. "No living elf has the ability to use magic. This is amazing!" He says makes his way to me. "I am so proud!" He says and pulls me into a big hug.
"I'm curious as what the reaction will be tomorrow." Aerdon says.
"Dad, do you get to go tomorrow?" I ask hopeful.
"Unfortunately not; the treaty still stands. Regardless of marriage, he is still not allowed." I slump, disappointed in his response.
"Go get some rest. Tomorrow will be very eventful. Trust me when I say you have not partied until you've partied with elves." My mother says with a slight smile