‹ Prequel: The New World 5
Status: In Progress

The New World 6

Ch.2

Present

Rick, Daryl, Glenn, Michonne, Sasha, Abraham and a few Alexandrians ventured past the gate to put Rick's plan in motion about the walkers down in the 'camp that ate itself' hole. While the designated team done that, Sabrina had no choice but to stay behind so to keep herself occupied she helped Carol make celery casserole soup.

"So do you think this will actually taste good?" Sabrina asked opening the can of chopped celery and pouring it into a bowl.

"Well if it doesn't, then we'll know not to make it again." Carol laughed putting the other spices and ingredients into the bowl.

"This is true." Sabrina laughed along with Carol while stirring everything together to make sure everything was mixed together well.

Once everything was mixed together, Carol poured the hopefully good celery casserole soup into the casserole dish and put it in the oven. Closing the oven door, Carol set the timer while Sabrina started cleaning up the left over ingredients.

"Well, while that's cooking, what else is there to do?"

"Relaxation time, especially you Sabrina. You're due in about two more months. Don't wanna over do it."

Sabrina sighed, knowing Carol was right but she wanted to help out as much as she could. "I know. But it gets boring sitting on your ass twiddling your thumbs all the time."

"I know how you feel Sabrina." Carol said walking over to the window to look outside for a moment.

"Maybe after you rest a little and when Judith wakes up from her nap, maybe the two of you could enjoy some fresh air."

"Maybe...." Sabrina said then stopped and looked at Carol because she thought she heard someone scream. "What was that?" Sabrina started around the kitchen island to see what was going on but Carol stopped her.

"Go up to Judith's room. Lock the door. And don't open it, not for anybody."

"Caro--"

Carol cut Sabrina off. "Sabrina. Go, now."

Carl came down the stairs with a gun. "I saw them from upstairs. They're coming in from all over.

"Who?" Sabrina asked, starting to panic a little.

"You have to stay here and keep Sabrina and Judith safe." With that, Carol took off to get a weapon.

"Carl, c'mon."

Carl shook his head at Sabrina. "You go up to where Judith is. I'll stay down here and shoot whoever comes in. That way if this house is overran, it gives you and Judith a few seconds to get outta here."
Sabrina nodded, giving Carl a quick hug before running...well waddled as fast as she could up the stairs and into Judith's room. Before actually going to Judith's room, she grabbed a knife then headed to the baby's room. Closing the door as quietly as possible, Sabrina pushed the doorknob in and turned it to lock the door. While barricaded in the bedroom with a sleeping Judith mere feet away, Sabrina decided to sit next to the window and peak out cautiously to see what was going on. When she did, a small gasp of horror escaped past her lips. The remaining Alexandrians were either running for their life trying to get away from these scraggly intruders or the Alexandrians were being tackled and stabbed to death. Sabrina backed away from the window and went to sit in a blind spot in case one of the scraggly intruders decided to look up at the window to see if their was any movement in that room. She sat there, trying to calm her heart rate and fear the best she could because anytime she started to get upset, the unborn baby would start kicking and hitting being just as upset. With more and more gunfire sounding all Sabrina could do was close her eyes and pray to whoever that this would all be over soon and hoping Daryl would be back to.

The sound of a horn blaring non-stop made Sabrina jump out of her thoughts. What was going on now? Who is blaring a horn? If someone didn't stop blaring that truck horn, walkers would be all over this place in a matter of minutes. Sabrina turned white as a ghost as the realization of walkers. Rick, Daryl, Sasha, Glenn, Abraham and some others were trying to empty that pit, what happens if they're nowhere close to being done and those walkers are now getting side-tracked and coming this way because of the noise? That's one thing that the community didn't need right now. A strong cramp made Sabrina groan lowly and she started rubbing her huge belly.

Not now. Sabrina thought.

Hearing a whimper from across the room had Sabrina slowly getting up from where she was and headed towards Judith's crib.

"Hey there Judith." Sabrina whispered, picking the growing baby up. "You're going to have to do me a favor ok?" She slowly walked across the room again and sat in a chair. "We're going to have to be as quiet as possible. Ok?" Sabrina said calmly and quietly while Judith started rubbing her eyes.

Sabrina's body jumped when the sound of the front door opened. Holding Judith in her left arm firmly, she unsheathed the knife with her right then headed to the window to peak outside again.

"Dammit Carl." She growled out, seeing Carl outside with a now dead scraggly man before heading to the bedroom door.

Unlocking the door she headed down the stairs and to the front door and that's when she noticed Enid standing in the front doorway.

"Enid?"

The young girl whipped her head around. "Sabrina." Then looked back outside and yelled for Carl to come on.

Ron ran off as Carl ran back into the house, Enid shut and locked the door again.

"What are you thinking Carl? You were told to stay in the house. Not go out there and be a hero." Sabrina scolded.

"Ron was in trouble." Carl countered.

"He's a big boy, he should know how to take care of himself. You going out there may have just caused us to be found by that guy's other followers. Now if more than four bust in here, we're all screwed." Sabrina snapped before storming off with Judith still in her arms to get the growing little girl a snack to keep her quiet.

Not too long after Carl getting a scolding from Sabrina, the gunshots, shouting and general chaos subsided. Handing Judith over to Carl, Sabrina peaked out the window to see a mixture of dead bodies and silence. Carl, Enid and Sabrina jumped hearing the sound of the front door knob rattling. Carl handed Judith over to Enid then headed towards the door along with Sabrina. Both of them stood on each side of the door, silently talking to each other with their eyes. Sabrina mouthed one, two, three then slung the door open and Carl jumped in the now open doorway getting ready to fire but stopped short when they all saw a bloodied Carol.

"Are you ok?" Sabrina asked panicked.

"I'm fine. They're gone."

"Who were they?"

"I don't know." Carol answered before going to wipe down real quick then headed back out to sit on the porch.

Carl was about to follow Carol but Sabrina called Carl and said to give Carol some space. Carl stood there for a moment then nodded. After Carl played with Judith a bit, Sabrina took Judith upstairs to change her diaper. She could hear Carl mumbling something downstairs then the timer for the casserole started going off. Quickly getting the fresh diaper on Judith, Sabrina picked the growing girl up then headed downstairs just in time to see Carl taking the casserole out.

"Thank you."

"Not a problem."

"What's wrong Carl?"

"Nothing..." He paused then sighed before speaking. "It's Enid. Earlier she said this place isn't safe and was thinking about leaving."

"Do you think she did?"

Carl shrugged and looked out the window. Sabrina sighed. "Go on Carl. Maybe she's still in the community somewhere. Just don't go outside the walls."

Carl nodded with the slightest of smiles then took off to find Enid.