Status: Going to try weekly updates.

Leaving Behind Ghosts

Moving

I woke up to the sound of a car alarm. That is one of the many things I won't miss. Rolling over, I pick up my phone off the floor. 5:15am. I still have a forty-five minutes to sleep in. I've been dreading today for a month now. To some degree I'm happy to be moving away from my dad, but I'm a city boy being forced to move out to the isolation of the country for something that wasn't my fault. I got in a car accident six months ago. Leaving me in a coma for a month, stitches on my forehead, a broken arm, and three fractured ribs. You could hardly notice anything ever happened to me, other than the two inch permanent scar on the left side of my forehead. An imperfect line that will always remind me of the day I'll never forget. The day that caused my dad to hate me. The day he decided to send me away.

It wasn't my fault. The driver that t-boned me was drunk. Although, I should have been paying more attention due to it being dark. In my defense, it was a four-way stop and the driver didn't have his headlights on. In my dad's point of view, I am a killer. I killed his angels. I killed my mom and my baby sister.

I am still recovering from the accident. Maybe not physically, but mentally I'm still recovering. I don't know if I ever will. It doesn't help that my dad is cold hearted towards me now. The doctor said he was in shock after he heard about the accident. The shock never went away. The first thing he said to me when I woke up from the coma was "I can't believe you're this fucking stupid! You could have prevented this!"

I picked my phone back up. 6:32am. Just perfect, I lost track of time. I have 28 minutes to get up and get ready. I unzipped the sleeping bag and kicked it off of me before heading in the shower. I love taking showers. The warm water hitting me and running down my body. It eases the pain from sleeping on the hard floor. Fifteen minutes each day to just think and have peace to myself.

I have everything packed but the clothes I have laying out on my floor. My favorite gray V-neck, faded out jeans, and my black converse. As I pick my clothes my dad yells, "You have ten minutes to get your ass ready before we leave!" Deep down it hurts when he talks to me, but I've grown numb to his constant yelling and bickering at me. That's another thing I won't miss.

Walking down the hall, I stop at one door. My sister's room. Silently opening the door, I walk in the room. Nothing has been touched. The wooden letters that were supposed to be hung still lay on the floor. All her clothes still waiting to be put away. This room, this house, my dad possesses ghosts that will forever stay. I leave the room with a final goodbye to my baby sister.

"Let's go," my dad said in a monotone.

As I walk out the front door I say my last goodbye to my mom, my baby sister, and my past life.

~~~~

Thirty minutes later, I finally arrive to the train station. "All you belongings are already at SJ's house. Here's the money for the ticket. SJ will be waiting for you in Collinwood. There he'll take you to Gopa where you'll be staying." With that, he left. No goodbye. No see you later. He just handed me the money and left. I wasn't expecting a hug. I wasn't expecting anything. I do wish that I could have gotten at the very least a goodbye.

The one way trip to Collinwood took exactly six hours and forty-eight minutes. I've been counting the time. Leaving my past life and moving to a new one surely does hit my nerves. I've never moved before. I've been sleeping in the same room for the past seventeen years, ever since I was a newborn. I may be nervous, but I am looking forward to a new environment, new people, and a new house. I want to leave the ghosts behind me. I finally want to fully heal, if that's even possible.

I see SJ, two twin boys, and a women
standing with a sign saying 'Welcome Luke!'

"Luke!" SJ waves his arms. The rest of the family follows his lead. I walk over to where they are at.

"Luke, this is my wife Melissa. These young men right here are Jayden and Elijah. They made this sign for you. They spent a week making it. They got paint all over the barn floors and their good clothes, so you better like it. On the bright side it's nice to finally meet you."

"I love the sign. Thank you guys for making it. It's nice to finally meet everyone too. Thank you so much for letting me stay with you."

Melissa walked closer to me and gentility placed her hand on my shoulder. "It's not a problem at all. SJ and your dad use to be very close. I know right now things are hard for your family, but we are more than happy to help."

"Luke, will you play in our tree house when we get home?" Elijah's eyes with filled with hope, before I could say anything SJ spoke up. "Maybe tomorrow Elijah. Luke here has a lot to do today to get settled in. Maybe you and Jayden can show him around the farm before he starts to get settled in."

Elijah and Jayden starred at me with smiles on their faces. I couldn't help, but smile back. "I think I can make time for you guys to do that."
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading! Please comment and let me know what you think. If you see any errors please let me know too.