Status: I'm back!

A Dream's Reality

Chapter 13

Fast Forward 3 Weeks

It’s been 3 weeks since I’ve started my training and I’m slowly getting better. Although I still have such a long way to go… I’ve definitely had my struggles with each thing but also my triumphs. I was beginning to get a bit more comfortable with my schedule. I’d learn ‘queen-ly’ duties and manners from Naida, earth control from Elion, fire control from Braeden, dance and swordplay from Karayan, hand-to-hand combat from Lyall, and healing techniques from Cade.

I was getting a lot better with the queen-like manners but still couldn’t bring myself to treat the workers of the castle-like they were under me. I started to learn everyone’s name and try to help them out when I could. Most tried convincing me to leave but I was pretty stubborn. The princes still found it very strange but Naida was always amused when she saw me. I’m glad she’s not scolding me about it!

Today I wanted to roam the castle a bit since I haven’t had a chance to do that fully since I’ve been here. It still all felt like a maze, but I now know how to get to Naida’s room, the kitchens, the dining room, the library, the gardens, and the living room. They didn’t have TVs or computers here, which was kind of sad, but we kept ourselves busy with training, reading, and playing games.

I walked down the hallway with pictures of my ancestors, looking at each photo with deep interest. This is a part of my life that I’ve never known until now. I’ve been reading up on my family line and asking Naida about a lot of things to become more familiar. I smiled at the realization that I can now recognize some of these names from the books I’ve read so far. I wasn’t paying attention to anything but the photos and ended up running into a warm body.

“Oof! I’m so so sorry! I wasn’t paying attention!” I apologized with a bow, feeling embarrassed.
“Watch where you’re going.” I heard Cade’s voice and instantly looked up.

“Prince Cade!” Cade gave me an awkward look and started to walk away before I quickly grabbed his arm. “Sorry for not paying attention…” I apologized again since it seemed he was pretty annoyed.

“It’s alright.” He rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly and glanced away. “Sorry, you don’t need to apologize.” And with that, he walked away. He’s so hard to talk to… I sighed at the thought and continued on my way.

I started thinking about one of the lessons I had with Cade, I really struggled a lot that day and he thought it was his fault.

I started thinking about one of the lessons I had with Cade, I really struggled a lot that day and he thought it was his fault. All I needed to do was mix three different herbs to make a healing remedy but it kept coming out muddy and messy. I was surprised to see that Cade had given himself a small cut so I can actually heal a wound. When I finally got it he actually gave me a real smile. He finally smiled! He should do that more often.

Bringing myself back to the present, I smiled to myself at the memory. I still can't believe I was able to heal a wound! I’ve had quite a few struggles with each lesson but this one turned out well in the end. I moved forward through the castle, hearing two voices in the dining room. Rio and Azura.
“Good morning.” I addressed the two and they turned to me with smiles.

“Good morning Celeste.” Azura bowed and walked towards me with a beautiful smile. “How are you liking your stay? I hope everything is alright?” I nodded with a small smile.

“It’s still hard to grasp everything, but after almost a month of living here it’s slowly starting to feel a bit normal I guess.” As normal as this can be…

“Good to hear! I hear you’ve been doing chores and work around the castle along with the servants. As the queen, you shouldn't bother yourself with those things.” Rio spoke with a serious tone as he always did, but there was no anger etched into his features just curiosity. I shook my head in response.

“I don’t feel right calling these hard-working people servants or treating them as such. I like to be kept busy and help out. As a queen, I think I should know a lot more about the kingdom at its people.” Rio looked shocked and Azura grinned brightly.

“What a queen-like thing to say, Celeste. I know you’ll do great once you take on all your responsibilities.” Azura complimented me and gave me a soft pat on my shoulder. I blushed at her words and looked to the ground.

“I don’t know about that just yet. I definitely have much more to learn.”

“Much to learn indeed. But you will do well.” I was surprised to hear Rio’s praise and looked to him with a smile. His dark blue eyes crinkled with a small smile behind glasses.

“Rio, darling. Why don’t we bring Celeste with us today when the people of the kingdom come to ask for guidance!” Rio stood there lost in thought before finally nodding.

“Really? I can come?” I felt a surge of nerves and excitement filled my body. This will be good! They both nodded. Azura linked her arm with mine and continued to walk me towards the throne room where the guests come to seek help and guidance.

We talked a bit on the short walk and I couldn’t help but feel thankful for their guidance. The throne room was huge, and I actually haven’t seen it until now. Like the rest of the castle, the walls were high icy blue marble that led to a curved ceiling. The ceiling had white and gold carved squares with flower designs inside. Two crystal chandeliers hung from the ceiling and lit up the room and a bright, warm glow. Along the walls were six windows on each side with dark blue velvet drapes. Following the dark red velvet carpet that covered part of the white and black marble floor led to a short stage, where I saw three seats. The middle seat was the largest, having more gold designs than the other two. All three seats were the same dark blue velvet with gold legs, arms, and framing. Beautiful…

“Now Celeste, Rio and I will do most of the talking. Feel free to observe and if you do have something to say, let us know. Okay?” Azura smiled reassuringly and sat in the queen’s throne. Rio sat in the king’s throne and I took the seat next to Azura. “Guards! Allow people to come in.”

The guards at the front entrance of the throne room nodded and saluted us before opening the large blue doors. A whole line of people walked in, chatting away with each other. My eyes widened. There’s so many! By so many, I mean like 20-30 people. It still seemed like a lot to me.

“Now, please tell me what you need and we give you the best guidance we can.” Rio’s voice boomed throughout the large room and the line was silenced. The first in line was an elderly man that bowed before speaking.

“Your Highnesses, if I may. My herb shop has slowly been running out of supplies and there haven’t been any merchants for weeks. I don’t want to lose my shop and I don’t have a young person to travel to Akkala for me! Please help me!” The elderly man pleaded and I turned to Rio and Azura, waiting for their response.

“I understand the issue. We apologize for the lack of merchants, with the Evil Lord’s appearance approaching and the Divine Elemental’s introduction things have been quite slow. I will contact the kingdom of Akkala to send merchants straight away. I will also allow one of our younger servants at the castle to help you with your shop.” Azura spoke clearly and proudly. The man bowed multiple times with a huge smile on his face.

“Thank you, thank you, thank you, Your Highness!” My eyes widened. She solved that so quickly!

“ Of course. Follow the guards, and they will take you to our resourceful garden assistant Lucas who will help you from now on.” The elderly man nodded and thanked Azura once again before scurrying towards the guard. “Next.” This time it was a middle-aged woman that stepped forward and bowed.

“Your Highness. I understand that one must ask permission in order to move into another kingdom and that I would need a written statement from you to give to the king and queen of the kingdom I wish to move to.” Azura and Rio nodded, allowing the woman to continue. You really need permission to move? I thought it was so strange and kind of dumb but shrugged it off anyway. “My daughter has found her soulmate in the kingdom of Styria, and we would like to move there so they can marry.” She pointed towards a younger, teenage girl with beautiful brown hair and blue eyes. The girl bowed.

“Alright. I will allow this move and you will have a written statement for Queen Ulla of Styria by the end of the week. Please give the guard your location so I can have it sent to you.” Azura smiled warmly at the two of them and they both smiled gleefully. They hugged each other in happiness and bowed.

“Thank you, Your Highness!” The young girl thanked Azura before running over to the guard to give him information. Azura sure is amazing!

“Your Highness, I was wondering if I could get some help with my bookshop. You see, I’m moving to a larger shop but I’m much too frail to move all these books.” Now it was an elderly woman who came to ask for help. My ears perked up at hearing about a bookshop. I wonder if I could go see it one day! Without realizing it, I stood up and stepped forward from my chair. The whole room had their eyes on me.

“Miss, I would love to help you! I’m sure I could gather a few friends of mine to help with your move. I’d love to see the collection you have.” The elderly woman gasped with wide eyes.

“Oh no, my Queen. I could never ask you to come to help me yourself! A Queen shouldn’t do such things.” The elderly woman was red with embarrassment and fumbling over her words. Rio almost stood up but Azura stopped him.

“It would be my pleasure. Please allow me to help you.” I smiled and it looked like she was about to burst into tears.

“W-well, if you put it that way. I cannot refuse my Queen. A thousand thank yous to you, Queen Celeste. I can never repay you for your great kindness.” She nodded happily and rushed out of the throne room after bowing at least 10 times. When I finally realized I had stood up in front of Rio, Azura, and all these people I gasped and covered my mouth. Oh my god… I instantly felt embarrassed and awkward, scurrying to my seat.

“I’m so sorry for interrupting… I’m not ready yet and I still went up!” My cheeks were burning as I whispered my apology to Rio and Azura. Rio just huffed with a nod but Azura chuckled softly.

“Not to worry, my dear. You will have to do this yourself one day so it’s good to get practice. Although it was pretty surprising to offer yourself as help.” Azura laughed again. “I haven’t seen that happen. You sure are an interesting one, Celeste. You’ll be a great queen.” She gave me a warm smile before turning her attention back to the people. My cheeks still burned as I felt embarrassed. I usually don’t do things like that. How strange...

Azura and Rio spoke with the remainder of the people and were somehow able to help each of them with their problems. Once the last person left, I turned to both of them with a look of amazement.

“Wow, you both are amazing!” Azura laughed and Rio surprised me with a small smile.

“Oh dear, it’s part of the King and Queen’s duties. Nothing more! We only do what we can with what we have.” Azura gave me a warm smile. “Now let’s head out. We should talk again soon, Celeste.”
I nodded at them both, waving goodbye as they walked out of the throne room. I got out of my seat to stretch and rubbed my back. Man, we were sitting for hours… I started walking towards the large doors to leave when I felt someone behind me. I jumped in surprise.

“Sorry, Queen Celeste! I didn’t mean to frighten you.” I turned to see Lyall’s worried face and instantly relaxed. Phew!

“Oh, it’s alright Prince Lyall. You just surprised me! I thought everyone else had gone.” We both started laughing. Lyall sure is comfortable to be around. “What are you doing here Prince Lyall?”

“Well, I heard noises in the throne room and came to see what was going on. You got to see how a King and Queen works, huh?” I nodded, feeling just a bit more knowledgeable.

We started walking out of the throne room and through the large hallways. The walls were the same icy blue marble and the floors the same white and black marble. There was a long path of red carpet that trailed down all the corridors. On the left of us were different photos and art pieces of the past families and adventures, while in the right was large windows that almost went from floor to ceiling with blue curtains. Cool statues in marble of knights, royalty, and animals lined up against the walls.

“You did amazing. Volunteering yourself to help out the elderly woman. I’ve never seen a royal do that!” Lyall smiled, his pale blue eyes sparkling with interest. I instantly blushed at the thought of me getting up and declaring things on my own.

“I-I feel so embarrassed! Maybe I shouldn’t have offered my help, but there’s no way I could let her do it alone.” Lyall laughed deeply.

“Queen Celeste. I think it’s a great idea and will surely bring you closer to your people. Now, what friends were you going to bring?” Lyall teased and I blushed again, my cheeks feeling hot. I didn’t think of that yet!

“U-um. I honestly just spoke at the moment and hadn’t thought that far. But perhaps you and the other princes would help? Although I’m sure Prince Karayan and Prince Cade would not care to.” I looked down at my feet awkwardly and we stopped walking down the hall.

“I think it would be fun to help. Karayan and Cade might surprise you and come around. Let’s ask them at dinner, okay?” Lyall patted my head like he always did. He’s so comfortable to be around. I don’t feel awkward, or on guard, or shy. It’s a nice feeling especially since we’ve only known each other for about a month.

“I don’t know if I’ll do well as the queen. But I’ll try my best. Hopefully no more repeats of our last training session…” Lyall laughed at my statement. I just shook my head, really hoping I wouldn’t have to go through that again. Hand-to-hand combat was not easy and I really struggled last time. But Lyall never got angry or impatient nonetheless.

“You’ll be fine. We just have to practice longer. Besides you got it by the end of the day, remember?” I nodded as we continued our walk. 

“Hopefully I can be helpful.” 

“I believe in you, Celeste.” Lyall stopped and smiled as he brushed my hair out of my face gently. My cheeks tinted pink. “I’ll see you later, okay Queen Celeste?” I nodded quietly and Lyall left with a smile, his long brown hair swishing with his walk.

I find myself a bench in the hallway and sit down, watching the workers going up and down the halls. I started to think about my training with Lyall, the day we were talking about earlier. Lyall had me practice mini fights with him to see how I would do. He didn’t move to hit or kick me at all, just to guard himself and dodge. Lyall wanted to see if I improved my moves and agility.

Lyall was just so quick I was barely having any luck with touching him let alone landing an actual blow. At one point we got pretty close when he caught two of my blows and I could feel he was really strong despite his thin frame. I even embarrassed myself by falling on my ass... He freaked out about it but I was so stubborn and refused to give in to my frustration. I finally got him with a trick by pulling out his long hair out of his ponytail and hitting him! That was really tough, I was exhausted after... 

Shaking my thoughts about the session with Lyall, I looked down the halls once more. I saw one of my new friends running down the hall and quickly followed after her. Kirin. She’s a middle-aged woman who works here making the desserts and helping the cook. I often visit her in the kitchens and try to help out when she lets me.

“Miss Kirin!” I call out after her and she turns around, her light brown hair swinging in the air.

“Ah! Queen Celeste! Please just call me Kirin.” She always says that and I always give her the same answer.

“Not until you call me Celeste.” She sighed as I caught up with her and smiled.

“Alright, alright. I’m going to the kitchens. Would you like to join me?” I nodded happily and Kirin smiled.

We started walking down the corridor to the curved stairs that led down to the first floor. The railings and steps were the icy blue marble the filled the whole palace with the tops of the railing being a dark brown. The stairs were wide enough to fit at least 5 people across it and were covered in the same red carpet as the hallways. To the right of the stairs was the entrance to the kitchens, where they do all the cooking and storing of ingredients and tableware. I’ve come to learn the kitchen quite well, knowing how to navigate to where most things are.

“Kirin, will I get to meet your family?” I turned to her with curiosity in my eyes as we walked in through the tall brown kitchen doors.

“Perhaps one day, Queen Celeste. I know they are very excited to meet you.” I gave her a huge grin.
Kirin loved talking about her family. Her husband, Goro, was a palace guard and her only son, Daisuke, was training to become a knight. I envied her a bit since she was so close to her family. My parents were barely around and now I’m in a different world from them and my grandmother.

“I can’t wait! Maybe I can even train with Daisuke!” I know Karayan was training and it’s not that he’s a bad teacher, but he’s always teasing me. Maybe Daisuke will be nicer!

“Oh I’m sure Daisuke would love to train with you but he might hold back. He won’t want to hurt the Queen.” I shook my head as Kirin started running around the kitchen with the other two workers.

“How can I help?” I asked, wanting to be useful and not just stand here.

“We’re just preparing dinner. The chef has gone into town for more ingredients and has left me in charge. You can help stir the pots for me.” I huffed at the simple task given to me but nodded with a smile anyway.

“What’s on the menu?” I asked Kirin, running over to stir one of the pots. It was a broth that smelled delicious.

“A chicken broth soup with mixed vegetables to start. The main entrée will be steak with a thick Béarnaise sauce, cooked cabbage, toasted bread rolls, and mashed potatoes.” Mmm. The meal sounded amazing and I could feel my stomach growl a bit at the thought. My cheeks turned red with embarrassment as the women in the room laughed. “Hungry dear?” Kirin smiled at me and I nodded.

“Here. Eat some bread with a small bowl of soup. Don’t want to spoil your dinner!” One of the other women came to me with a bowl of soup and a loaf of bread. She gave me a sweet smile before turning and going back to marinating the steak.

“T-thank you.” I still felt a little embarrassed as I sat down by the small table in the corner and ate.
After eating I continued to help out. I made sure that all the dishes were cleaned and ready to be brought out, cut up the vegetables needed for the broth, and cleaned up the counters when needed. They still needed to cook everything but I was quickly ushered out of the kitchen. They said they were asking too much to keep me there and wouldn’t take no for an answer.

The whole time I had felt someone staring at me, but I couldn’t figure out who until I walked out of the kitchen door. Prince Karayan?! The door must’ve been open and that was how he saw me. But I wondered why he would stay. His red eyes met mine and he gave me a strange look.

“You’re so loud Celeste, I could hear you from down the halls. I was wondering who would make such ruckus.” I scoffed at his words and gave him a glare.

“W-well excuse me! I was just helping Kirin. Why were you staring at me for so long?” His red eyes widened a bit in surprise before he gave a smirk and brushed his purple hair out of his face.

“I was just curious that the Queen herself was bothering herself with the tasks of servants.” I could see something other than mischief in his eyes but I couldn’t put my finger on what it was. I stepped closer to him and felt the coldness of his body radiating.

“They’re not servants! They are people and I’ve come to befriend them and help them with their tasks.” I put my hands on my hips and gave him a serious look. I was expecting him to laugh or give me some snarky remark like always but it didn’t come. His pale face showed slight regret before going back to his normally stoic expression.

“If you say so. Don’t get too close to them. You cannot trust anyone. And although I don’t think you are ready to be the Queen and Divine Elemental, it would be a shame to lose you because you wanted to be friends with the servants.” Karayan was always snarky and rude to me, but I’ve never heard his voice dripping with such hate. It kind of surprised me and I stepped back feeling goosebumps down my arms. 

 “They are good people. Don’t talk about them like that!” The tension could be cut with a knife as Karayan leaned closer to me. 

"Hn." 

"I've made that mistake when I was young. I made a friend with a servant and got too close. In the end, it was my fault for trusting a lowly servant and I got betrayed..." His voice was angry and quiet. But he was so close I could hear every word. My eyes widened in shock, wondering what he means by that.

"W-what? You were betrayed?" I looked at him with a mixture of curiosity and concern. "Was it-was it the Nereza lady?" I remembered her name slipping from Karayan during one of our training days. He did say that she was a servant who taught him to dance. Karayan's nose flared and his red eyes darkened. Oops...

"Don't ever speak of that name." He gripped onto my shoulders hard and I winced. Hatred was all I could hear in his voice. For the first time, I was actually afraid of Karayan.

"I-I'm sorry. I d-didn't know..." I barely squeezed out those words and slowly moved my hand to touch his pale cheek. As always his skin was so cold to the touch but surprisingly smooth. His eyes widened. "I'm sorry Karayan. I won't say her name again. Don't worry, no one here will do anything to harm you. I promise." He released his hard grip making me sigh in relief. His face softened, his eyes turning back to normal as he nodding lightly. This is a new side of him... Karayan must've realized he let his guard down before he quickly stepped away and shooed my hand.

"Do be sure to remember that. As for no one hurting me, don't promise such a thing when you can't even protect yourself." Back to his normal snarky and rude self, Karayan turned on his heel and was gone in a flash.

"What was that?" I looked at my hand that still felt cold. It was a strange side of Karayan that I saw. First complete anger and hatred then sadness? I shook my head as I looked towards the kitchen. The door was still open and Karayan must've frightened Kirin and the girls because they all looked terrified. "Sorry everyone, don't worry about Prince Karayan. He's a good man just strange." Kirin just nodded with a weak smile.

I decided to continue to my room to rest for a bit since dinner was still about an hour away. The name Nereza kept playing through my mind and I started to wonder what kind of person she was to Karayan. He seemed to hate her with his entire being but when he first mentioned her during our lessons, it was with longing. Once I got to my room, I shut the door and laid on my full bed. I still haven't gotten completely used to living such a grand life but the thoughts quickly disappeared when I thought of that day of lessons.

Karayan was trying to teach me how to do a reverse spin but all I did was step on his feet. We both started to get frustrated. He was just so smooth with his footwork... I asked him how he learned to dance so well and he mentioned he had a great teacher. That's when he said her name, Nereza. Karayan just had this longing and emotional look when he spoke of her that I was really surprised. He's normally just stoic or condescending. But then he got super mad and left so quickly before I could say or ask anything else. I wonder if he's always been like this... 

After realizing I’ve been laying in bed reminiscing for who knows how long, I shot up. I should see if Kirin needs help setting the table! With that resolve, I left my room and made my way to the stairs that was closest to the dining hall. It’s only been a month but I’m slowly getting used to finding my way around. Although I’m usually never alone between Naida, the guys, and the workers. I don’t like to be alone too often but it does feel nice from time to time.

The hallways were long and normally I would be exhausted from all the walking between locations. But with all the training I’ve been doing already, I’m gaining a bit more strength and stamina. To think, a month ago I was a nerdy student that worked in the local library and now I’m a queen with elemental powers. Ha! If this was a dream, it’s definitely the most elaborate dream I’ve ever had or even heard of someone having.

As I got closer to the large wooden doors to the dining hall, I spotted Braeden who looked exhausted. Strange, he’s normally super upbeat. I sure am running into everyone today… I quietly watched as he came into the hallway looking like he was just outside fighting with dirt. Braeden must’ve felt my stare because he looked straight up at me and waved with a small smile.

“Queen Celeste! What are you doing here?” He asked awkwardly as he walked closer.

“Oh, I was going to ask Kirin if she needed help setting the table.” Braeden tilted his head to the side in confusion and gave me a weird look. “She’s one of the cooks. Dinner will be ready soon and I want to help out!”

“Oh, that’s so nice of you Queen Celeste. My dad would never let me even associate with servants in our castle…” Braeden gave me a small smile but I could tell he didn’t really like talking about his dad much. Sitheis… I gave him a nod and gestured him to follow me into the dining hall.

“Kirin! I’m here to help!” I shouted in a sing-song voice, looking around the room for Kirin. The table was already mostly set and I pouted. Damn, I’m too late! “Looks like I’m too late to help.” I turned to Braeden with a smile.

“Y-yeah. It’s okay Queen. Your kindness and thoughtfulness are definitely enough.” Braeden’s gold eyes sparkled as he rubbed the back of his shaggy black hair. It was then that I noticed he wasn’t dirty from dirt. Burns?!

I instantly grabbed hold of his arm and examined it, rubbing his pale skin softly. Worry etched into my face I looked directly into his gold eyes when his cheeks turned pink. He pulled his arm away quickly and hid it behind his back before looking at the ground awkwardly.

“Prince Braeden. What happened?” I half-demanded, wanting to know what possibly could’ve happened.

“W-well. I can’t stop feeling guilty about our last lesson so I’ve been practicing more to become a better teacher…” His normally happy and soft voice was quiet and raspy. Braeden refused to look at me and I ducked down so I could look up into his face. He looks sad…

“Prince Braeden. You’re a great teacher, please don’t harm yourself because of me. I don’t like it!” I lightly scolded him, hoping he would listen and trust in his abilities at least a little bit more. “What’s wrong, Prince Braeden?”

I grabbed his arm and dragged him to one of the benches by the windows in the dining hall so we can have a seat. Luckily no one else was in the room so we had some level of privacy for now. I didn’t want to pry too much so I just waited until Braeden was able to talk. I know the reason he doesn’t like fire so it pains me that he’s forcing himself to use it outside of teaching me.

“S-sorry, Queen Celeste. I just want to be as helpful to you as I possibly can.” Braeden looked at me with a shy smile, slowly getting back to his normal self. I sighed in relief and let go of his arm that I was still holding.

“You’re great, Prince Braeden. Thank you for everything!” I smiled at him genuinely and I couldn’t help but notice the blush forming on his cheeks. Cute.

“Of course, Queen Celeste!” I was glad to see Braeden was back to normal and just nodded in response.

We talked for a while, waiting for everyone to come to join us for dinner and had a great time. Like Lyall, Braeden was so easy to be around and talk to. I can feel we’ve already become such great friends in the short time we’ve known each other and will only become closer as time goes by. I started thinking about our last lesson when I learned a little bit more about Braeden and started to feel a little sad.

--Flashback to Lesson with Braeden--

“Queen… We don’t have to keep going, okay?” Braeden’s normally joyful face was filled with worry as he looked at my panting self.

Trying to create a fist-sized fire in my hand was a lot more difficult than creating a tiny flame on a candle. It was taking a lot of energy from me and I could feel my body becoming tired. Luckily I haven’t been burned or anything with the number of times I’ve been trying this. I don’t like making Braeden worry, but if everyone is counting on me I can’t just give up no matter how frustrated I am.
“It’s okay Prince Braeden. I can keep going a bit longer.” You could tell in my voice I was exhausted but I tried hard to cover it up to the best I could.

Focusing on the task at hand, I started to breathe in with my nose and out with my mouth. I need to calm myself first. I closed my eyes and started to feel my whole body warm-up. The hot energy was getting warmer as it ran its course through my body to my outstretched hand. I felt my hand heat up and thought I had finally achieved my goal so I opened my eyes. But to my dismay, the flame was just going crazy and I felt it graze my hand.

“Ow!” I shook my hand which probably wasn’t the smartest thing to do.

Luckily the flame went out without doing too much to me. I felt a burning pain on my hand but it was minuscule. Braeden instantly rushed to my side and inspected my hand with worry. His mesmerizing gold eyes were muddy like he was about to cry.

“Celeste! Are you alright? Did you get hurt? I’m so sorry I let this happen! Are you okay? Did you burn yourself? I shouldn’t be your teacher!” Braeden mumbled a bunch of apologies and continued to inspect my hand. His cool hands felt nice compared to my heated body.

“Prince Braeden. Braeden! I’m alright, I’m alright. It was just a graze, look.” I showed him the tiny reddened mark on the side of my thumb so he would calm down. He gently ran his finger over it and I shivered. Braeden’s face finally relaxed as he sighed in relief.

“Oh thank god. I was so worried Queen Celeste. I never want you to get hurt…” His voice was pained and his eyes are still filled with worry although they went back to their beautiful shade of gold. “I-I just didn’t want a repeat of what happened before…” I tilted my head to the side in confusion, unsure of what Braeden was talking about.

“What happened before? Braeden, what’s wrong?” I cupped his pale cheeks in both of my hands. This time it was my turn to worry, he relaxed but then started to look so sad.

We stood there for a few minutes, neither of us reacting or talking. I didn’t want to push Braeden too far so I didn’t pry further. I just looked into his gold eyes in the hopes he would be able to tell me what was wrong. After a while, he sighed and gave me a strange look.

“W-when I was first learning how to control fire I was so excited and wanted to show my younger brother, Kie.  But I wasn’t able to control it yet so I ended up burning his room and him.” I audibly gasped and looked at Braeden with sad eyes. “He’s okay now, but he still has burn marks on his shoulder and arm. I’ve hated fire ever since. But my father forced me to train, saying that as the next king I needed to be in control of all my powers.”

“I’m so sorry Prince Braeden. But it wasn’t your fault. You were young and only had good intentions. I’m sure Kie does not resent you for it all. Are you sure you’re okay teaching me? I don’t want to make you upset.” My eyes softened as I tried to cheer him up. Honestly, I don’t even know anything about his brother but if he’s like Braeden, he wouldn’t resent his brother for an accident. “Not to say you’re a bad teacher! You’re amazing Braeden!” I said quickly realizing it may have sounded like I didn’t want him as a teacher.

“Thanks, Queen Celeste. You’re so kind. I’ll definitely become a better teacher for you.” Braeden’s eyes softened as he gave me a small smile. There he is! I realized my hands were still holding his face and immediately blushed while pulling them away.

“Thank you, Prince Braeden, you’re already great!” I smiled back.

With that, we both decided to leave the rest of the lesson for another day. I was pretty exhausted from trying multiple times and after the scare, I think Braeden was worn-out too. We talked animatedly the whole way back to our rooms and I couldn’t help but smile. I hope Braeden will forgive himself.

--End Flashback--


As the rest of the guys and Naida walked into the dining hall, Braeden and I stood up to go to our seats. Braeden kindly pulled out my chair for me and pushed me which I thanked him for. With Braeden on my right and Naida on my left, the rest of the guys took their seats. My stomach grumbled in hunger and my cheeks reddened as I earned a laugh from everyone in the room. Stupid stomach!

Food was brought out minutes later and the smell of it was intoxicating. Okay, maybe that’s a little bit of an exaggeration but it did smell hella good! Just as Kirin said earlier, we started out with a vegetable soup. I helped with this one! I gladly ate it, but then remembered my manner lessons from Naida and tried to eat it properly. It’s kind of annoying that we have to eat little sips and be super proper about everything. Not that I’m a messy eater, but I feel like I can’t enjoy it as much if I’m constantly worried about how I look when eating.

The room became loud with chatter and laughter as we all talked about random things. The guys asked me a little bit more about my home and what it’s like. Braeden and Lyall were the ones most interested. Karayan and Cade were the quietest as usual, but would occasionally make comments here and there. I asked them about their homes too, wanting to learn a little bit more about each of them. We were all having a nice time as we ate through our delicious meal of steak, mashed potatoes, and cabbage. I stuffed my face, loving the delicious taste of Kirin’s cooking. I chatted with the workers as they came in, which earned the normal strange looks from the princes. But gradually, Lyall and Braeden joined in making the workers blush like mad from the attention.

Dinner ended after about an hour and a half of chatter. I offered to help Kirin clean up but she wouldn’t let me at all. I finally gave in but promised her I’d be there to help in the morning. That’s when I thought about the promise I made earlier to the elderly woman. Oh!

“U-um, guys. Before everyone leaves their rooms, I have a favor to ask of you guys.” I shuffled my feet and fiddled with my hair awkwardly. Everyone’s eyes were on me. “So today, I-uh went to oversee Azura and Rio working with the people and answering their questions. I sorta told an elderly woman that I would help her move her book shop and that I would bring friends to help and I was hoping you guys would join but you don’t have to and I completely understand and-” I realized I was completely rambling and my cheeks flushed red. “Sorry. I promised an elderly woman I would help with her move to a new place for her book shop, and was wondering if any of you would be willing to help me.” I sighed in relief, glad I was finally able to get the words out and looked at everyone expectantly.

“Oh, Queen Celeste. You really just say whatever you feel.” Naida said while laughing, making my cheeks redder. “I’ll be glad to help.” I smiled widely at Naida and looked at the princes.

“You already know I said I would.” Lyall gave me a warm smile and I nodded happily.

“If that is what you wish, darlin’. I’ll take a chance to show off to you any day.” Elion said with a wink and I couldn’t help but giggle. Naida scoffed and rolled her eyes but Elion’s smile remained.

“Karayan?” I looked at Karayan expectantly but he just looked grumpy.

“I already told you not to become close to people. Don’t just sign me up without knowing anything.” I winced at his harsh tone and he sighed. Naida was about to protest but I shook my head to stop her. I don’t want to force anyone. “Fine.” Karayan surprised me by agreeing but he instantly walked away before I could even thank him. Stingy… But I’m glad he will still help.

“Prince Cade?” Cade looked awkward and unsure, but I wanted him to be apart of it too.  I was hoping to get to know him better.

“Okay.” He spoke simply with reddened cheeks before following Karayan’s lead. I sighed. Those two…

“Alright! Thank you so much, guys. I know it was rash and selfish of me to sign myself and everyone up. But I would really like to help and I appreciate everyone else’s help. I gave everyone a smile and we all went to our bedrooms.

------

I’ve been tossing and turning in my bed for about two hours, completely unable to sleep. I groaned loudly and sat up in my bed. I just want to sleep! Today has been pretty eventful even without any of my lessons and I felt kind of drained. But for some reason, my body was restless. I walked onto my balcony for some fresh air. Yes! I have a balcony! I haven’t really used the balcony at all so this was my first time seeing the gazebo in the gardens lit up. It was extremely beautiful.

I found myself drawn to it and decided to make my way outside. Maybe the walking and fresh air will tire me out so I can get some sleep. I was in my pajamas, a loose shirt, and striped shorts, but decided not to change. Who’s gonna see me anyway? Slipping on some sandals, I stepped out of my room quietly and tiptoed through the halls. I’m not sure why I’m tiptoeing, but it just felt like I should.

I made my way down the hall, down the stairs, and outdoors to the garden. I took in a deep breath, drinking in the sight around me. It really was beautiful. The beds of flowers glowed faintly from the moon and lights of the gazebo. The skies were clear and the moon was full; a nice breeze filled the air and swept through my hair.

As I walked towards the gazebo, I noticed someone sitting inside it. As soon as I got close enough to see it was Elion, I froze in place. Elion was twirling a beautiful blue flower in his tanned hands before he looked up and noticed me. His smile was warm but his eyes looked sad which surprised me.

“What are you doing out here at this time, Celeste?” Elion questioned, beckoning me to join him in the gazebo. I moved towards him and sat on the bench a few inches away from him.

“ I couldn’t sleep. What about you, Prince Elion?” He looked me over with a mischievous grin and I realized someone did see me in my pajamas. Awkward! My cheeks flushed red.

“Same.” Elion was normally so forward and flirty, I was surprised by his tone. “You shouldn’t be outside in your pajamas. Someone might see and want to do something to you.” There he is. I rolled my eyes at his words but my cheeks remained flushed.

“Why are you out here?” I ignored his words and repeated my question.

“It’s kinda lame, but I’m just feeling homesick darlin’.” He gave me a sad smile and I inched closer.

“It’s not lame. Prince Elion. I feel it too, honestly… And that just means you love your home and family.” I gave him a sad smile, thinking about my grandmother.

“Thank you, Celeste. I know it must be way harder for you. I shouldn’t be selfish.” Elion laughed, continuing to twirl the flower in his fingers.

“There’s nothing wrong with missing home. What’s your family like?” I was curious about Elion’s family since he never really talked about them. As soon as I asked, his tanned face and crystal blue eyes lit up.

“It’s just my mom, my younger brother, and I. We are a small family but really close. Arlen, my brother, is only 15. He’s a total pain in my ass! But I do miss the little runt.” Elion looked happy talking about his family. I like seeing this side of Elion.

“That sounds nice, I don’t have any siblings. What about your dad?” I was curious since he didn’t mention anything about a dad. Elion’s smile faded and he looked at me with sadness in his blue eyes.
“We lost him when I was a kid. He was really sick.” Oh.  I instantly felt awful for asking and reached out to touch his arm in condolence. “Don’t worry darlin’. It’s okay.” He gave me a smile, resting his hand over mine.

We talked like that for at least another hour. This was a new side of Elion that I was glad to see. Although he still made his flirty remarks here and there, it was just all in all a good conversation. We talked about my grandmother, his mother, and flowers. Elion really loves flowers. It’s actually kinda cute!

When we decided it was getting late, we both got up to walk back into the castle. Elion and I continued our conversation, shushing each other when we got too loud and laughing quietly. It was fun. Elion was kind enough to walk me to my room, something about protecting me from predators who would want me because of my light pajamas. He’s so weird…

“Goodnight, darlin’. Remember, you know where my room is if you need me.” Elion winked as he lifted my hand to kiss it lightly. My cheeks turned red as a tomato at his gesture and I jerked my hand away. He laughed heartily and waved his hand goodbye as he turned to go down the stairs to his room. Elion can be exhausting.

Laying in my bed once more, I thought about the day I was training with Elion to grow some flowers. I was only tasked with growing a small flower bed but I struggled almost the whole way through. It was kind of embarrassing really, but Elion didn’t seem to mind.

Laying in my bed once more, I thought about the day I was training with Elion to grow some flowers. I was only tasked with growing a small flower bed but I struggled almost the whole way through. It was kind of embarrassing really, but Elion didn't seem to mind.

I laughed at the memory and shuffled around in my bed to get comfortable. It certainly has been a long few weeks with its trials and tribulations. But I can definitely say I’ve had fun as well. Learning about my history I never knew, training with my different abilities, and getting to know Naida and the princes. It was slowly setting in that everything is real and I’m not in some dreamland like I originally thought. My eyes were finally becoming heavy as I slowly drifted off into a deep sleep.

~Dream~
“Queen Celeste. I can sense your powers strengthening. Soon, you will be at your peak and I will come for you.” I heard a deep and husky voice in the distance. I tried to look around and find who the voice was coming from, but everything was pitch black. My head began to ache and I winced in pain. Grabbing my head with one hand, I used the other to feel around for anything in my way as I walked forward. I kept hearing whispers of my name and tried to follow it to the source.

“I have plans for you, Celeste. I will not make the same mistake as the previous lord. I will not be defeated, no matter how hard you train.” Deep shivers ran down my spine at the words. What do they mean? “I hope you will understand my plans when the time comes. If not, I will have to make you understand.” The voice was eerie as it laughed darkly.

I continued to walk towards the voice, making it louder and louder. My head hurt more and I felt my body becoming heated. What is happening? I felt something behind me and slowly turned my head to look. With a gasp and wide eyes, I found hundreds of eyes looking at me. Who are they? What’s happening?

Many voices were heard saying my name and ‘Come join us’. I had no clue what they were talking about and started stepping away from them before breaking out into a run. Getaway! I tried to shout but no words came out and I felt hot tears trickle down my face in fear. Running in the darkness until I was gasping for air, I stopped when I heard the voice again.

“I will have you.” The voice was dark and loud, making my head hurt and body burns once more. I slowly looked up to see intense gold eyes and an evil grin. Sitheis. 


------------

Braeden's POV:
I was just leaving the training grounds where I was practicing more and more with fire. It was pretty exhausting but I desperately wanted to be a better teacher for Celeste. I don’t want her to hurt herself again… I was so riddled with worry when she got a tiny burn that I promised myself I would become a better teacher even if I hate fire. I continued walking through the castle when I felt an intense gaze. Celeste. I saw Celeste and gave her a wave and a smile.

“Queen Celeste! What are you doing here?” I instantly walked towards her. I always seem to be drawn to Celeste. I gave her a weird look when she stated she was helping someone named Kirin set the table. She just said dinner was going to be ready and she wanted to help one of the cooks. How cute can she be?!

“Oh, that’s so nice of you Queen Celeste. My dad would never let me even associate with servants in our castle…” It’s true. My dad was always a stickler for following rules and being above those who weren’t in the royal family. It was really exhausting. Celeste motioned for me to follow her into the dining hall, which I did. We both looked around and saw that the table was all set. She gave a pout realizing she was too late to help. Cute…

“Y-yeah. It’s okay Queen. Your kindness and thoughtfulness are definitely enough.” I didn’t really know what to say since my father raised me to see myself as above the servants. Not that I really did, but I didn’t try to make friends either.

I was rubbing the back of my head, something I do when I’m feeling awkward or nervous when Celeste grabbed my arm and rubbed it. My cheeks warmed from a blush at her actions when I realized what she was looking at. My burns… I instantly pulled my arm away and looked to the ground. With a demanding voice, she asked me what happened which surprised me a bit.

“W-well. I can’t stop feeling guilty about our last lesson so I’ve been practicing more to become a better teacher…” I spoke quietly, unable to look Celeste in the eyes. But she ducked down under me to look at my face.

Celeste scolded me about harming myself because of her. Honestly, I’d rather myself get hurt over her. She grabbed my arm again and dragged me to one of the benches in the dining hall. We sat there in silence and I was grateful that she wasn’t prying me for an more. I already told her why I hated fire and she almost cried for me. She’s so kind.

“S-sorry, Queen Celeste. I just want to be as helpful to you as I possibly can.” I gave her a small smile and she sighed in what seemed like a relief. She let go of my arm, which made me want to grab onto hers. Something about her is so calming. Celeste smiled and it was the most beautiful smile I’d ever seen. My cheeks flushed at her smile and compliment.

“Of course, Queen Celeste!” We continued to talk happily, the sadness I felt earlier now long forgotten. It was nice having some time with Celeste for myself. With all her lessons and helping out, it’s hard having any bonding time with her. I know it’s only been a month since I met her, but I can feel that we will be very close. I like being with Celeste.
♠ ♠ ♠
Learned some new info about the guys didn't ya!? :)

Except for Cade, he's always so shy!

Next few chapters will be fun :) A mini-date coming up and individual chapters with trips to the other kingdoms!