Don't Mutter

CH 1

I tapped my fingers impatiently on the bar, out of boredom I took out my compact from my boot. Nothing about my appearance had changed in the fifteen minutes I had last checked. I still had short blond hair, the same dark lipstick that I caked on and now regret wearing. I really want to go home. It was an unsuccessful night…for me at least. It’s probably my hair, to quote my mother “Guys don’t like women who have hair as short as theirs.” Oh well, it keeps the shallow ones away. Felicity was across the bar talking to TWO guys for God’s sake. Her red curls bounced with each turn of her head to listen to either one or the other guy. It was starting to get sad for me, the bartender thought I was hitting on him when I was honestly trying just to make small talk. Not like I’d be interested in him anyway. He really needed to brush his lengthy hair and scrape the goatee altogether. I returned my attention to Felicity, she noticed me watching and she waved me over. I tried to pretend I didn’t know her.

“EVETTE! GET YOUR CUTE BUTT OVER HERE!” she yelled across the bar. I couldn’t ignore her now, she was going to make a scene. It was hard to believe she was doing all of this SOBER. To make her happy, I decided to just get it over with. The taller of the two guys had his eyes on me. I’m not going to lie, he wasn’t that bad looking. He had dark black hair and blue eyes, he wore a nice button up shirt. The other one however didn’t seem so interested, he was more touchy feely with Felicity. He was more her type, he had the bad boy vibe with his shaved head and leather jacket.

“Guys this is Evette.” Felicity told them with a bright smile. She started to giggle and curl her at baldy kissing her neck.

“Hi I’m Waylon.” The tall dark haired one stepped closer to me.

“Hi.”

“Would you like a drink…away from the train wreck behind me?” Waylon offered. I looked around him, Felicity’s neck was getting sucked on like she was getting attacked by an octopus. She giggled wildly. I looked back to Waylon and nodded. He politely guided me to the bar with him. I wasn’t about to turn down a free drink either. I ended up getting simple rum and coke, he insisted on buying me something nicer. The bartender set our drinks in front of us, I took a small sip through the little red straw in my glass.

“Thank you.” I smiled.

“Now since you won’t let me buy you a fancier drink, would you like to go outside with me?”

“Get away from all this noise? Please.” I picked up my drink. Waylon guided me through the small crowd of people, Felicity gave me a wink across the way. I gave her a cheap smile, she actually thinks I’m probably going home with this guy. To be honest I was just going to play nice for a little bit longer, he bought me a drink. Then I’ll lie to get out of it, as always. I was nearly to the front entrance of the bar.

“Let’s go out a different way, that way we can keep our drinks.” Waylon suggested.

“Oh, I completely forgot they don’t allow the drinks outside the bar.” I remembered. I let him link arms with me. Wait, this is stupid. Why am I letting him take me out a completely different exit?

“It’s just over here towards the restrooms, it’s the employee exit to the alley.”

“Ok.” I smiled stupidly. NO. SAY NO. I couldn’t stop myself.

We went down a hall just to the right of the bartender and bar, the poorly lit sign above read “restrooms”. Right at the end of the hall was the employee exit. It wasn’t really hard to figure out, it was clearly labeled with a sign saying so.

“I don’t want to.” I slurred a little.

“Come on, it’ll be fine.” He guided me down the hall.

“Ok.” I found myself agreeing with him again. My head started to surge, it felt like my head was hit by a train. An instant migraine engrained in my head. “Yo-you put s-something…” I dribbled.

Waylon opened the door, his forceful hand pressed against my back. With a little push I was out the door. I hurdled toward the ground and caught myself. I could feel the gravel split my hands. The door slammed shut, Waylon put his arms under mine and pulled me up.

“No….” was all I could whine. I definitely couldn’t move at this point “How?” I cried. I was sure he never even touched my glass, the second it was set in front of me I picked it up.

“She still conscious?” the bartender came out of nowhere. Yell for help, he’ll save me. THANK GOD.

“Help.” I mumbled.

“You put too much in her drink.” Waylon told the bartender. Wait…it made sense now. The bartender spiked my drink. He was in on it. I wanted to kick his face in when he picked up my feet from the ground. I was wailing and sobbing uncontrollably.

“HEY! DUMB AND DUMBER, PUT HER DOWN.” A booming voice shouted down the alleyway. I managed to move my head just enough to see. A man stood just twenty feet away wearing a twill cargo jacket, he was braced and holding a gun in his hands. He had it pointed directly at us. The bartender dropped my feet.

“What are you doing, pick her up.” Waylon demanded. The bartender looked at Waylon then at the man with the gun.

“Pick her up again and you get ganked buddy.” The man with the gun threatened. Before he could even say more a hooded figure came from an alley door, I tried yell out to the man and warn him. The figure struck him over the head, the man fell to the ground dropping his gun.

“N-no.” I managed to say. He was my only hope. The figure briskly approached us.

“No more distractions, take her back to the church. I’ll take care of him.” A woman’s voice came through the hood. The bartender and Waylon nodded. My feet were picked back up, they started walking me down the alley towards a car. To be honest I had no idea what kind of car it was, but it was definitely a piece of crap. They dropped my feet again, pretty sure my heels are bruised now. The bartender popped the trunk. My consciousness was slipping every second, I was barely hanging on as it was. I was tossed in the trunk, the both of them peered down at me. All I heard was someone shout the name “Dean” before the trunk was closed, or did I black out?