Don't Mutter

CH 3

Of course the second she left I was up out of the bed. My boots were gone, my feet were bare. My toes started to get cold as I paced on the concrete floor. I now realized I was wearing completely different clothes. They were basically silk pajamas with a powder pink hue. Everything in me stopped myself from calling out. I looked to the woman in the cell across from mine. I watched her die. I couldn’t avoid it, I couldn’t help but to keep looking at her on the ground. Making my mind wander would be best, at least not think about her. There was nothing under the bed to help me, and my feet were starting to freeze. So I had to get back in the bed, the room was just cold overall. I assume I’m in a basement of a church. She did say something about a church before I blacked out.
When is this “supper”? Six hours from now? I don’t even know what time it is.

*BOOM* I was startled suddenly, it basically made me fall from the bed onto the concrete floor. The door to the room flung open. The jarring sound of the metal made me cover my ears.

“Dean!” a man’s voice shouted. He came through the door with a gun in his hands. His hair was lengthy and brown past his chin, very tall as well. I curled up between the bed and the wall out of site. Another man came through the door. He was much shorter, his hair was lighter and shorter than the other mans. He had a gun as well. They had their backs to me looking in the dead woman’s cell, I couldn’t see their faces.

“Does she look like the woman you saw at the bar the other day?” the tall one asked.

“You tell me if you recognize someone after they’ve aged eighty years.” The shorter one replied.

“I’m checking the other cells.” The tall one made his way towards the other cells. The shorter one turned around completely. His eyes scanned my cell, I could see him, but he could not see me. Until I craned my neck too far to look at him and he looked directly at me.

“Sam she’s over here!” he called down the way. I couldn’t go anywhere, I’ve cornered myself. The door to my cell opened, he rushed in. I curled farther against the wall.

“Hey hey, it’s ok. I’m FBI. So is he.” He crouched down slightly. His voice was soft, trying to calm me. With his gun in his right hand, he slipped something from his plaid shirt pocket. It was a wallet, he flipped it open showing me a badge clearly labeled FBI with his picture.

“Evette right?” he said my name. I nodded my head. I’m not going to lie, he was extremely handsome. Light freckles danced on his nose and cheeks. Long eyelashes complimented green eyes, dark sandy blond hair lightly gelled up. He reach out a hand to me, I warily looked at it for a moment. Immediately after I took his hand he stood me up and was ushering me out of the cell. The tall FBI agent waited with an impatient look on his face just outside the door of the cell. He went on ahead, we followed. A hand lightly pressed my middle back guiding me. I felt relieved. Help. Just when we were about to exit the room the main door closed. We were separated from the taller FBI agent.

“Where do you plan on going with her?” a soft monotone voice bounced off the walls. The FBI agent stood in front on me pointing his gun down the room. At the end stood a man with dark hair and pale skin, he had a well-kept beard and dark clothes. Black jeans I think, with a navy v neck t-shirt.

“Away from this hellhole that’s for damn sure.” The FBI agent retorted.

“Taking someone else’s property?” the mysterious man stepped forward.

“Take another step and you get a bullet in your face.” The FBI agent threatened.

“If you take her, you’ll have to know she’ll just find me eventually.” He replied simply. Just like that he was gone. Vanished. The door out of the room opened again. The tall FBI agent was on the other side.

“What happened?” he asked.

“Let’s just say we need to get out of here now, we’ll chit chat later.”

They guided me down a long narrow hallway, it was just old stone walls, nothing more and up a spiral staircase. The staircase stopped, the ceiling was getting closer above us as we walked up. The taller FBI agent pushed up on the ceiling. It was a door in fact. He climbed out first and reached for me, he grabbed my arms and pulled me up. The other agent followed just behind me. I wasn’t wrong about the church thing. We were right in the middle of a chapel. Two rows of pews, a long aisle, and stained glass windows lined the walls. A stage was up front with a stand and cross. We didn’t stay long, we basically sprinted out a side door to the right of the stage.
The light hit my eyes, I had to close them briefly. When I opened them the sun was shining brightly on a familiar intersection the church sat on. I’ve seen it before, this area. I’m sure of it. I was rushed towards a black car sitting on a nearby curb. It was a four door muscle car of some sort. The tall FBI agent opened the backdoor for me and helped me inside. The other one ran around to the driver’s side and climbed in. The tall one got in the passenger’s seat. We peeled away from the curb without hesitation. I looked out the back window. The man we met before stood on the edge of the sidewalk. I think I was the only one that could see him. He cocked his head, he knew I was looking at him as we drove away.