Don't Mutter

CH 4

Only about a block or two of speeding away the tall agent turned in his seat.

“Are you ok?” he asked, I could hear the sincerity in him. His face was concerned. He was a handsome man too, his longer hair suited him well. I nodded when I really should have been shaking my head. I was just really glad to be out of there. “My name is Sam, this is Dean.” He referred to the other man driving. I was about to open my mouth and say my name in return. Then it hit me. I can’t. He look at me oddly with my mouth open. I put my hand over my throat and disheveled into myself.

“Dean, we should take her back to the bunker. Maybe the men of letters have lore, we couldn’t find anything. We were lucky enough to even find her in that church.”

Dean looked at me in the rear view mirror, a simple glance “Then she has to know Sam, this isn’t something the FBI handles.” I was confused by that remark. What did he mean?

“Back there…it wasn’t human…you see Dean and I specialize in these things. Unexplained things of the supernatural. Regular everyday people don’t know about it, neither does the FBI.” Sam told me. He was right, what was back there wasn’t human. A part of me was in denial, this all felt so surreal. I wanted to ask them “So you’re not FBI?” but I couldn’t.

“What Sam is trying to say is we hunt the things that go bump in the night. Ghosts, vampires, werewolves, they’re all real.” Dean said flatly. Well…that’s a lot to take in. Given what just happened to me, I don’t really know what to believe. In the back of my mind I just want to believe this is all just a dream.

“We’re also brothers.” Sam added. I couldn’t imagine what my face probably looked like. “Are you ok? You just keep nodding, you haven’t said anything.” Sam asked again with sincerity.

I pursed my lips before opening my mouth, I pointed at my lips and throat and shook my head.

“You can’t talk?” he asked.

“Of course she can talk, she was talking to the dirt bag at the bar two nights ago.” Dean said.

TWO NIGHTS AGO? I thought it was last night! Then it occurred to me that Dean was the man with the gun. He tried to save me. They saw me talking to that Waylon. I shook my head.

“Well she can’t talk now Dean. Can you write?” Sam asked me. I shook my head.

“Maybe it’s a siren, it would explain the girls.”

“It doesn’t explain anything else, so this this…thing, it took your…words?” Sam asked. He was close, I wish I could just tell them WHY!

“I’m gathering something bad happens when she tries to talk, written or spoken.” Dean said. He came closer. I nodded my head. He noticed me nodding in the mirror, he looked to his bother.

“Wait a minute, these women aged rapidly. We didn’t know why, maybe it’s because they talked.”

My face lit up. I nodded rapidly, I practically jumped up and down in the seat. He got it right. They decided it was best not to overwhelm me with more questions. They’re probably trying to figure out what’s going on themselves. We were leaving the town, I read a sign that said “Now Exiting Boulder” So that’s where I was. NEARLY A HUNDRED MILES FROM MY HOME IN COLORADO SPRINGS. I now realized they drove hundreds of miles to basically save me. The odd thing was, I felt somewhat safe. It could be the fact that they saved me or that it seemed like they have somewhat of an idea what was going. I had absolutely no idea what to make of all this. Should I be worried that I’m not scared of these two?

“Maybe Cas knows a thing or two?” Dean suggested out of the blue. Who’s Cas?

“Hello.” A voice said next to me. I turned my head quickly and screamed. The car violently veered off the road. A man in a tan coat was in the seat next to me. Dean slammed on the brakes, I smacked my head against Sam’s. And before he could even regain himself I was practically climbing over the seat into his lap to get away from the strange man who just APPEARED out of nowhere right next to me.

“DAMMIT CAS!” Dean cursed.

“Its ok its ok, he’s harmless.” Sam tried to assure me. I looked to the strange man in the seat, then at Sam again. He nodded his head. I slowly sat my butt back in my seat, I still made it a point to sit as far as I could away from him

“Evette this is Castiel,” Sam began “He’s…well he’s an angel.”

“Angel of the Lord.” Castiel interrupted, his voice was rather monotone, almost robotic. Angel? Like a real angel?

“Yeah yeah, Cas we’ve got a problem,” Dean said. I just stared at this “angel”. Not my idea of an angel. “We’ve got no lore, nothing. Just a creep who kidnaps women and curses them somehow by taking away their ability to say, write, anything that has to do with words.”

“Curse? What happens?” Castiel asked.

“Well they age rapidly, until they die.” Sam added.

“Do these women age and die when they say one word? Or do they gradually age with each word?” Castiel asked. Sam and Dean both looked at me. I held up two fingers. This angel is so odd, like he’s extremely socially awkward. Aren’t all angels just dead humans? I feel like he would be in tune with humans because they were humans. Unless I’m completely wrong. I highly doubt that all the cliché things you hear about vampires and werewolves aren’t true either. I’m just having trouble grasping that all this is real.

“The second one happens.” Dean told Castiel.

“Yeah but how long does it take off?” Sam asked me. All eyes were on me. I held up one finger.

“A day?” Dean asked. I shook my head. “A month?” he asked. I shook my head again.

“It must be a year,” Sam guessed. I nodded. “Anything like that ring a bell Cas?”

“No not that I’m aware-“ Castiel began, I cut him off by doing something rather embarrassing. I poked his cheek just to make sure he was really there. The three off them just stared at me. I pursed my lips and retracted my hand from his face.

“Thanks Cas.” Dean broke the silence.

“I will let you know if I find anything.” Castiel simply said. And like that he was gone. I felt the seat where he was. Completely empty.

“Not your idea of angels huh?” Dean asked.

“Hey, listen to this,” Sam interjected, he held up a smart phone in his hand “Two weeks ago a woman disappeared in New Mexico, they found her in a church in Boulder. I never looked into it because she wasn’t aged at all.”

“Boulder? Isn’t that were she was taken from?” Dean referred to me.

“If they’re connected, this thing is abducting them in one city and taking them to a church in another, even different states. That means if they were to pick a new victim she would be from Golden, where we found Evette.”

“Then how come they took multiple girls from one city? They’ve taken five from Boulder.”

“Maybe they stay as long as they can before people catch on. If anything we go to New Mexico and find this church, ask a few questions. Maybe they can tell us something.”