Don't Mutter

CH 5

If I could I would call my grandmother. I know she’s tearing her hair out worrying about me right now. I was supposed to see her yesterday for dinner. I never showed, now I’m sure my face is plastered all over the news. It’s understandable why I couldn’t just go home, I can’t talk to anyone. The idea of even being in the same town as that thing, or whatever he is and his sister made me feel uneasy. A part of me was glad we were driving away from it.
Sam fell asleep some time ago, all I could do was watch the passing scenery. Even after a while it was starting to make me carsick. I sighed and sat back in the seat.

“I’m sure you’re hungry, because I’m definitely getting there,” Dean turned to look at me in the backseat. I nodded my head. At this point I couldn’t tell if I was car sick or just sick from not eating. Eating never entered my mind, it was obviously on something else. “You’re not a one of those vegan vegetarian people right?” he asked. I shook my head.

It took about another half an hour to get out of the state into New Mexico. Luckily a truck stop with a diner attached to it was just a little further down the road. I knew we had to be stopping there. We pulled into the parking lot, it definitely was your typical truck stop. Creepy looking people galore. Dean put the car in park, he punched his brother. Sam jolted awake.

“Let’s get some grub.” Dean said opening his door.

“Dean.” Sam rolled his eyes.

“What?”

“Evette has no shoes, she’s wearing pink pajamas.” Sam said. Oh right. I even forgot. Dean closed his door. Sam asked my sizing for my feet, pants, and shirt. He got out of the car, we watched him go into the truck stop. About ten minutes later Sam emerged with a bag. He opened my door and brought it to me.
“I hope it’s not too horrible.” Sam told me. I opened the bag. All I could see was plaid and leather. I pulled out a pair of cowboy boots, and what I thought was a plaid shirt. No, it was in fact a plaid dress. Dean got out of the car so I could dress. It could be worse. It could be a cowboy kitten t-shirt, or god forbid a shirt with a donkey or some other ridiculous animal. Truck stops have the tackiest things. Once I was done dressing into my new attire I climbed out of the car. I started to follow Sam and Dean into the truck stop when a loud horn stunned me, it happened so fast, I couldn’t move. A car bumper bumped hard into my thigh trying to park in the spot next to us. I nearly fell.
Maybe it was because I was irritable or that I was tired, but before Sam and Dean could even respond I was kicking the bumper of the car who hit me. The douchebag was climbing out of the car yelling obscenities. He wore a leather jacket, beanie, and sunglasses. Sam pulled me away, Dean stepped in front of the douchebag that was fast approaching me. He stood much taller over Dean.

“Just keep walking.” Dean stood his ground.

“After the little bitch pays for my bumper.”

“She’s not paying for anything. If you were smart you’d walk away. Probably go take a driving course because you clearly hit her.”

“Dean.” Sam raised.

“He’s calling to you Dean.” the douchebag teased. Dean stood his ground for only a few more moments before turning away. Sam ushered me inside the building, Dean was in tow.

“Nice, though I would’ve kicked the hood instead.” Dean complimented me. Sam gave Dean a grave look. Dean responded “Oh come on Sam I would’ve done the same thing.”

We walked through the gift shop area of the truck stop, I instantly saw the clothing Sam picked out for me amongst racks. He really did get the best outfit. The entrance to the restaurant began where the gift shop ended. An older woman dressed as a 50’s pink lady looked very unamused behind the front counter. She came around the counter to greet us.

“Welcome to Reuben’s Diner.” She said with the fakest smile I’ve ever seen. I don’t blame her. Look where she works.

“Table for three please.” Sam politely told her. She grabbed some menus off the counter behind her. She led us through the restaurant. Bikers, truckers, and old people looked at us as we passed. We were brought to a booth, I slid in the seat, Sam sat next to me. Dean sat across from us.

“Your waitress will be with you shortly.” The hostess told us before walking away. I looked over the menu, then it hit me. I can’t point out anything I want. That counts as words, unless I find something with a picture. Our waitress came by, she was another older woman named Inez. She brought us some water. I read over the menu, nothing really was catching my eye. That is until I found a page solely dedicated to burgers. The chili cheese burger caught my eye, but it didn’t have a picture.

“What’ll you have?” our waitress was standing over our table now.

“I’ll have the soup and salad, do you know what you want?” Sam turned to ask me. I just stared blankly at him.

“Don’t worry I’ll come back around to you darling” Inez smiled “and you?” she asked Dean.

“I’ll have the chili cheese burger.” He replied. Inez looked at me. All I could do is point at Dean.

“Sorry I’m not on the menu Evette.” Dean slyly joked, Sam rolled his eyes. I could feel my cheeks burn a little.

“Sorry, she’s mute,” Sam spoke up with a safe lie “You want what Dean is having?” he asked me. I nodded my head. She made a note on her slip of paper and made her way away from the table. It’s not like I could really engage in a conversation with these two. I couldn’t speak. Everything that came my way had to be a question to either nod or shake my head too.

“So we’ll get to the town later this evening, we should go to the church tomorrow, ask around.” Sam took a sip of his water.

“What about Evette?” Dean asked.

“We’ll have to bring her with I guess, I mean they’re most likely looking for her. It’ll be best she sticks close with us. She might be easily recognized though, she can’t just waltz into the church.”

“So what’s our get up? Two priests and a nun looking for a new convent?”

What? Is he saying we’re dressing up? I don’t think I can do this.