A Walking Disaster

2

Another day, another gym session.

“I swear to whatever is controlling the world, I hate Alex Gaskarth right now” In fact, Zack didn't really hate him, he just didn't want to go to the gym three days a week, especially when Lucy wanted to hang out for a while.

The truth is that he loved going to the gym. He was starting to gain some muscle -something he had wanted for a whole while now- and he really enjoyed it there. Alex and him were finally having some bro-time and he was thankful for it because otherwise, he doubted he'd see Alex after school any time soon. He was starting to think that his friend was getting a bit too obsessed with getting fit, but if that was what he wanted, then so be it.

Zack was currently watching people's faces as they lifted weights they couldn't lift and ran miles they couldn't run. It was kind of funny. Why don't people limit themselves to only go as far as their body lets them go?

Alex and him were lifting 10kg weights when some guy around their age approached them and tried to talk to Alex. Both of them had earphones in so neither of them heard a thing. Unlike Alex, Zack was actually looking up while Alex was looking down to the floor so he didn't even notice the other guy standing in front of him. Zack slightly kicked his knee and gestured to gym to look up. They both then took their earbuds out as the guy started speaking again.

“Could you let me know when you're done with the weights?” He asked. Alex had a confused look on his face.

“You have plenty more weights right there” He said pointing at the pile of weights in the corner of another room.

“All the 10KG ones are taken by buffed guys though and I'm afraid they'll kick my ass if I even talk to them. They are like blocks”

The three of them laughed and looked around at the buffed men. Their faces seemed to be full of anger and looked like tomatoes as they lifted those weights.

"Sure, we'll lend you them in a second" Alex smiled.

The guy smiled at him and nodded towards Zack before going back to the machines.

"Dude. I think he was trying to hit on you" Zack announced with excitement.

"Are you crazy? That guy is more straight than a stick"

"Whatever you say but he's been looking at you since he got here like half an hour ago, and let me tell you; every time we've come to the gym and he was here, he wouldn't take his eyes off you"

“The hell are you talking about? It's a gym Zack, everyone looks everywhere”

“I'm just telling you”

“Whatever, I'm not into him”

“How do you know that? You don't even know the kid”

“Let's drop it”

All through the next few days, the kid had tried to make little talk with them at the gym, mainly with Alex, but had not succeeded.

Alex had never liked meeting new people or talking to people he didn't know. He wasn't shy, he wasn't nervous around people he wasn't friends with, but he just didn't trust anyone. It sounds dramatic and childish but he didn't mind, he was like that, so when it came to some guy he had never seen approaching him and his friend every time they were in sight, he wasn't going to change either.

Zack said he needed to catch up with Lucy and her family that evening, so he didn't have time to go to the gym with Alex. Alex was dreading going to the gym, just like every other day, but he went anyway.

By the time he was done showering, his phone buzzed with a message from Zack. It said that dinner with Lucy's parents went well, and asked Alex what he was up to. Just then, the nameless kid entered the room to get changed into his sport clothes. Alex was quite surprised since he didn't try to talk to him -for the first time ever, he wondered why was that. The kid was wearing a Green Day shirt and skinny jeans, and Alex got super excited.

“Hey, you like Green Day?” He asked pointing at his shirt, which was shortly replaced by a plain black shirt.

“Oh, you talk? Yeah I like them” He said sarcastically as he took his skinny jeans off.

“Sorry about that. To be fair, you were being kinda annoying and persistent getting me to talk to you”

“I only wanted to talk to you because I know we like the same bands” Alex got taken aback with that. Was this kid some kind of stalker who looked through Alex's window and spy-ed him?

“How'd you know that?”

“We go to the same school. You wear a lot of merch” He said like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

“No way! How come I've never seen you in any of my classes before?”

“You watch, but you don't see” He said coldly.

“What's wrong with you? After all this time you've been trying to talk to me and now that I do, you just do small talk?” Alex laughed slightly.

“Well, it's been like two weeks since I wanted to talk to you and I get it, you don't want to be talked to, and I respect that” He smiled, grabbed his sport bag and walked outside after saying a small bye.

Alex rapidly put his socks and shoes on and rushed towards the door, but stopped as he reached the handle. What the hell is wrong with me? He thought. That was a childish thing to do; run to catch up with some stranger who has been trying to talk to you for two weeks. He was being selfish, an idiot. Now that he knew they had something in common, he really wanted to talk to him; but he didn't know his name, he never pays attention in class and doesn't even know his classmates' names. He wasn't going to run after him like they do in horrible American movies, he isn't going to be the miserable girl who's in love with this guy who runs away from her.

He didn't even know his name.

-Hey Zack. I've been at the gym. Talked to the kid. He likes GD but I don't think he'll bother talking to us anymore. I think he's given up trying.

-I have a feeling that he will keep on it, don't worry.