Status: Yeah, I'll do my best to update but I'm in hell quarter...

The Once and Future King

Chapter II

The male lacrosse team yawned as they huddled together under the field lights. They waited impatiently for their coach to arrive so they could begin the early morning practice before heading off to classes. After five minutes the captain shook his head with a sigh. “Alright everyone, since coach isn’t here yet (which was odd), let’s warm up.” The team readily agreed, nearly half frozen in the chilly early morning air. “Gareth, you’re up to leading us today.” The team took turns leading warm-ups so it wasn’t only on one person’s shoulders. They found it made everyone feel like they were held accountable for their and the team’s performance.

Halfway through stretches, a few of the teammates turned their heads to see the coach and another person walking towards them deep in conversation. The coach didn’t interrupt them until they had completed all of the stretches and were about to run the track five times. “Alright everyone, huddle up before running. This won’t take long.” The team huddled together, shifting to prevent the warm up from going to waste. “Team, this is your new Manager,” Everyone stared at the young woman before them. She wore a warm beanie over long wavy red brown hair, a light hunter green scarf, a worn brown leather jacket, long green cargo pants, and battered work boots. “Elaina Hawthorn.” He stared hard at his team and said in a serious voice, “Be nice to her. She’s part of the team. Now go run before everything you did was for nothing.” El watched as the team started jogging off towards the track. As they ran, Coach Kilg explained to his new assistant what was expected of her now that she was the team’s manager.

“Will!” The coach shouted. The captain stood taller than the older man with short black hair, piercing sapphire eyes, and an attitude that bordered arrogant and confident. “I want you to show Elaina what her job is. Lance will lead everyone in drills today.”

“Yes, sir.” The tall young man turned to the unsure woman who knew virtually nothing about the sport. “Know anything about Lacrosse, Elaina?” He smirked, already knowing the answer.
Scowling, El replied, “Call me El and not really.”

With a nod, Will turned and walked over to the bend with El on his heels. For the first time he wondered how she wore fingerless gloves. “Your job while on the side line is to keep time for us while we run our laps so time of the first person to finish and the last, track the drills we do, who scores, what we’re weak on, make sure the water’s filled, make sure all the equipment and first aid is here, different statistics, and whatever coach needs you to note. Don’t feel like you can’t make observations once you know what’s going on. In the locker room you’re in charge of packing bags for our away games, having the boards and TVs set up, markers and erasers ready, the team room tidy, and such. If we’re practicing inside, you gotta make sure the equipment is there, the water jug is filled, cups ready, towels clean, any wet spots cleaned up, and the gym ready for practice. For away games you’re in charge of getting our bags to the bus, that we have everything, possibly a TV ready at the other school in case we want to watch something while there, first aid kit, and you’re recording everything so we can know our weaknesses/ strengths and the other team’s weaknesses and strengths. Got it?”

“Barely.” El muttered.

“You’ll get it if you last long enough.” His voice turned teasing with a hint of seriousness. “The team will either make or break you, make sure you’re up for the challenge.” He whacked her on the shoulder and then headed towards the pitch. El had a bad feeling creep over her as she watched the team practice.

Of course her gut was right. She was almost late to her Biology lecture because the guys decided to leave the team room in shambles. With an annoyed face, she quickly cleaned up and ran to class. She silently slid into a seat in the back and all thoughts of the team left her mind until afternoon practice.
It didn’t take long for her to realize they were hazing her. Throughout practice they would pull little pranks or make her run around like a chicken with her head cut off. She wanted to scream and yell but found it to be a useless waste of energy she needed to conserve for the homework she already had. By the time she got home she wanted nothing more than to flop on her bed and sleep. Serene was heaven sent and El almost cried when her roommate produced a plate of Shephard’s pie.
The team didn’t let up four days later. She felt like a zombie as she ran around and tried to keep track of times and stats. The coach yelled at her at least twice a practice for slacking. Every time he did the players smirked knowing that she would break any minute. Not one to back down from a fight (hell she survived the freaking North Pole!), El glared at them and resolved herself to never quitting no matter how they treated her. Maybe she could convince Serene to help her brainstorm pranks back. El understood that fighting fire with fire would only result in a house burning to the ground but she didn’t care. She would get these assholes to acknowledge her and look to her as an equal.
After a long day of practice, pranks, cleaning up after distrusting players, and homework, El fell asleep on the couch. It didn’t last long though. Serene basically pounced on her and wouldn’t stop bouncing El until she woke up. “Wake up El! We’re going out! You can finally meet some of my friends!” El groaned and tried to bury herself deeper into the couch. “I know your new team have been assholes to you, but come on you need to let some steam off. There’s a great club where you can get drunk and dance your frustration away.” When she only got another groan, Serene pouted.

“Issy,” She whined, “Convince her!”

El heard a deep chuckle and then felt a presence next to her face. “You need a break El. Forget about those losers, don’t let them get you down.”

“But I’m sleepy.” El replied with a whine equal to her roommate.

“You can sleep when you’re dead, let’s go!” Before she knew what was happening, El yip in surprise as Issy picked her up. “Alright, let’s go!” Clinging for dear life, El was carried to her room where an outfit of skinny jeans, knee high lace boots, a tank with plaid shirt, and a beanie awaited her. Quickly changing and getting her hair and makeup done, the trio headed out to the club.

Once in they paid the $5 cover and headed towards a mix group around a pool table. “Hey guys!” Serene chirped.

“I’m done.” El announced once the group turned. “Worst idea ever Serene.” Her eyes narrowed at the sight of the Lacrosse team.

Serene gave a confused face as Will laughed, “Serene you didn’t tell us your new roommate was our manager.”

“What?” Serene squeaked. “Oh no! El I didn’t know.”

“How’s it going, El?” Will smirked knowing he was getting me riled.

In a hostile voice El replied, “Oh I don’t know, why don’t you ask Dr. Kosvik. I only had to listen to a five minute lecture from her about being late to her lab this morning, no thanks to all of you. I’m going to get a drink.” She turned on her heels and stormed off towards the bar that probably wouldn’t give her the alcoholic fix she knew was going to be a bad idea.

“Why do you have to be such assholes to her?” Serene glared. “You do realize that you aren’t her only responsibility right?”

“We’re only teasing her.” Drustan defended.

“Teasing? From what she tells us you’re complete ass wipes to her. She’s been late to nearly every single one of her classes because you either hide stuff on her or leave your dirty shit all over the place. You were never this bad with Kenny.” Issy chastised.

Drustan shrugged, “We liked him.”

“You don’t like El?” Serene’s eyebrow rose. The team merely shrugged, she would leave soon enough and the balance would once again be restored. “You guys are jerks. Come on Issy, let’s make sure El didn’t get lost or accosted.”

As the team, friends, and significant others watched their friends leave Lance leaned into Will. “Should we stop? Serene and Issy were pissed.”

Tapping his fingers against his pool stick, Will replied, “We’ll lighten up a bit so we don’t interfere with classes, but we need to make sure she has the willpower of our Lacrosse manager.” The team nodded while girlfriends shook their heads. When the trio returned each holding some sort of drink, Will stepped towards El. “We’re sorry for what we’ve been doing.”

El didn’t reply right away, her gold eyes staring at him hard. “I don’t believe you, but thanks.” Then she turned and took a seat to watch the pool game play out. With a chuckle and a shrug, Will returned to kicking ass.

After about an hour of sitting and only talking to Issy or a few of the girlfriends El got tired of being stationary. She sat all day in her lectures and she needed to move. “Issy, dance with me.” She wrapped her long fingers around his wrist and started pulling him.

A little unsure, he cautiously said, “El, I don’t… like you that way.”

Freezing for a moment in confusion, El let out a bark, “I know, but I want to dance without some random guy trying to grind into me. You keep hunters away from me and I’ll keep chicks and dicks away from you. Please Issy, I haven’t been out to a club in forever.”

“Alright, let’s go!” Issy grinned, this time he was the one dragging El.

While they danced like no one was watching, Serene, Drustan, and Will tracked the pair with their eyes. “She does realize he’s gay and has a boyfriend right?” Drustan asked with his arms crossed over his chest.

“If you’re worried that she trying to steal him, don’t. The way they’re goofing off she clearly just wants to have fun. Besides she probably already knows without him having to say anything.” Serene replied. “You really should be nicer to her.”

“If she can’t handle the heat she should get out of the kitchen.” Will shrugged while Drustin nodded.
Serene rolled her eyes, “Whatever, just don’t interfere with her schooling. I know her teachers and they’ll dock her points or fail her.”

“What is her major?” The trio turned to see Jenessa, Will’s girlfriend and class vice president, walk over to loop an arm around Will’s waist.

“Chemistry with a minor in Bio.”

“No wonder she’s strange…” Jenessa’s cheeks lit up in embarrassment. “I didn’t mean it like that, it’s only her social skills are a bit… off.”

“What does her major have to do with her social skills? I mean I’m a bio major and look at me, I’m a social fucking butterfly.”

“You my dear friend seem to be an exception. All the science majors I’ve ever met don’t have great social skills except with each other.”

“We are stuck with the same handful of people five days a week, but I don’t think that’s her problem. From what I understand she took last semester off to help her dad.”

“What’s he do?”

“Climate stuff. She didn’t get into it, but it seems the work was pretty intense and she didn’t really hang out with people except those working on the project.”

“That definitely explains why she didn’t know half the things we were talking about entertainment wise.”

“As interesting as this conversation is, I’m going back to kicking ass at pool. You in, Will?” Drustan asked as he snatched up a pool stick.

“Definitely.” His head dipped down to kiss his girlfriend. “You joining?”

“No, I think I’m going to dance.” She kissed his cheek before sauntering off towards the dance floor. She didn’t join the two dancers right away, not wanting to interrupt they’re good time. It was the first time she had ever seen the young woman laugh and decided El should do it more often. Then her eyes moved to Issy who laughed just as openly as El. He also needed to laugh more. Him and his current douche of a boyfriend needed to breakup before the young man forgets how to laugh and smile.

Once a new song started to play, she slid into the corner the two were dancing in. “May I join?” Jenessa asked with a smile.

“Sure!” Issy laughed after having dipped El.

“I’m Jenessa.” She introduced herself. “Jenessa Hart, Will’s way better half.”

El’s smile dropped to an awkward one that held hesitation. “Hey, I’m El.”

“Nice to meet you. If the guys are giving you too much trouble come find me and I can help you bend them to your will.”

Like how she usually interacted with people she hardly knew, El stared at the gorgeous young woman with long wavy chestnut hair, striking green eyes, and authority that rivaled any CEO. “Thanks, I’ll let you know if I need to take you up on that offer.”

“Call anytime. Now enough of them, let’s dance!” Jenessa grabbed El’s hand and spun her. Unable to prevent it, the younger woman laughed as her boots spun on the floor. Not long after many of the group ended up on the dance floor drunk and happy. For the first time since El could remember she actually had fun with people of her age group.
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know if you want pix of the characters. I have some, but sometimes the imagination is better. Cheers!