Status: Yeah, I'll do my best to update but I'm in hell quarter...

The Once and Future King

Chapter IV

Two days later El found herself alone on a seat on the team bus. Coach was talking to his assistant coach that returned from paternity leave while the guys partnered off with people they actually liked. El had to admit she was fortunate. Although she didn’t have anyone to sit with, she was able to read unlike so many people she knew. As the bus bustled along she read and took notes on the Lily Maid. She had just finished highlighting a small section when the book was slipped out from her fingers.

“Whatcha reading, El?” Will asked before reading the yellow strip of words. “Already doing research on your project?”

“Overachiever, I know.” She sat up trying to get her book back. “But I have other classes I need to work on too.”

“You work too hard.” Will frowned as he read through the page. “This doesn’t sound familiar. What book-“ His sentence dropped off as he looked dumbstruck at the cover. “Where did you get this?”

“Oh dear, what’s made Will nearly pass out this time?” Lance chuckled.

“She has a first edition of Dr. Samantha Renaldi Hawthorn’s Arthurian Tale. Honestly, where did you get this?” He was in her space now while Lance laughed.

“I’ve had it forever, why?” El swallowed uncomfortably.

“I have been looking for this book forever. I mean I have the third edition which was hard enough to get hold of but it’s nearly impossible to get a first edition.”

El chuckled as he fanboyed over her mother’s book. She noticed for the first time that he had an accent. She recognized it as British, but from what part she was unsure. It’s been a while since her mother had taken her on a trip to England. “You like her books?”

“Yes! Reading Le Morte d’Arthur is difficult since it’s in Middle English and poetry isn’t really my strong suit, but I’ve read nearly everything on King Arthur and his Knights.”

“When he says he’s read nearly everything, he literally means it.” Lance patted his blood brother’s back as Will continued to ogle the book. “For a year that’s all he read and almost talked about. I know basically everything about the subject because of him.”

“How can you not like it? It’s epic.” Will defended. “I think I hate you now for owning this book.”

“Like you didn’t before.” El swiped her book from Will who proceeded to pout. “I’m sure if you keep looking you’ll find one. They aren’t impossible to find.”

“Clearly, if you have one.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” El frowned.

Wills cheeks lit up, “I didn’t mean it like that. I mean if a regular college aged gir- young woman can find a copy, it means they’re out there.”

“Right.” El rolled her eyes before they turned somber. “Why do you like it so much? The legend I mean.”

“Because King Arthur was amazing! The things he accomplished while he was alive was some of the greatest feats of the time. He was beloved by his people, had friendships stronger than iron, and as I said did amazing things for the time.”

“But it was all for naught.” Both men frowned. “Everything he built crumbled down around him. He and nearly all his knights died in a fight that didn’t need to happen and his light had been dimmed. Was it as great as we romanticize it?”

“Aren’t you grim?” Gareth piped in as he slid into the seat next to El.

Words of warning slipped in and settled into her mind. “I’m just saying. I’ve read a lot of the Arthurian stories and it’s a tragedy. He was betrayed by his wife, best friend, and bastard son only for him and most of his men to die.”

“But we don’t know he actually died.” Will pointed out. “Some legends say that he was near death and that he was taken away by his step-sister to come again when the earth needs him.”

“Do we really want him to return? What if it’s a repeat of his past life? What if he has to endure betrayal and death again?”

“You’re taking the story too much to heart, El.” Lance snorted. “It’s a myth, nothing more.”
“All myths have truth to them.”

“Yeah like wizards actually walk among us.”

“Technically Merlin was a sorcerer and in the legend he would wait for Arthur’s return.” Then El grinned and leaned forward. “Perhaps he’s walking among us now and we don’t even know!”

“I’ll believe it when I see it.” Gareth and Will nodded in agreement.

“You never know.” El shrugged. A silence fell between the four young people that slowly turned awkward. “Well, I should get back to reading about the suicidal Lily Maid.”

“Have fun with that.” Will patted her head as if she were an unfortunate puppy. “I’m going to have fun.” He fell back on his seat and began talking to Lance and Gareth about something she didn’t particularly care about. The rest of the ride was uninterrupted as she continued to take notes on a subject she knew surprisingly little about. Elaine of Astolat was one of the few characters her mother hadn’t yet written about and she was sure Dr. Santini knew that.

When they arrived the excitement for the game could be felt throughout the bus. The boys became rowdier as they talked with excitement about beating the day’s rival team while moving around like caged animals waiting to be released. El tried not to pick up on their anticipation but found it nearly impossible not to feel giddy like the rest of them. As they spilled out of the bus, each player grabbed their bag and walked knowingly to the visitor’s locker room. El trudged a long with water bottles and the record book looking in wonder at how grand the school was. It wasn’t as impressive as Avalon University, but it was charming nonetheless. As they walked a few of the rival players stood in the hallway inspecting their competition when their eyes fell on the lone female.

One of the players whistled through his teeth causing El and a few of her teammates to stop. “How you doing?”

Unimpressed El replied, “Fine.”

“What’s a pretty young thing like you doing with those losers?”

El felt three of Avalon’s players shift towards him. “Um, I’m their manager? I didn’t suddenly decide one day Lacrosse was for me and I needed to be on the team.”

“Well if you ever want to know some real men come find us.”

Looking at him innocently El replied, “And you’ll tell me where to find these real men? That’s awfully sweet of you, but alas I’m surrounded by young men on a daily basis I don’t think I need help. Thanks for the offer though. If you need help, just let me know and I’ll gladly point you in the right direction. See you on the pitch.” Then she turned and headed into the locker room leaving some very annoyed players behind. El didn’t react as Gareth, Lance, and Kayden laughed behind her.

“What’s so funny?” Lance asked while the other members paused in unpacking to stare.

“I think El has become my new favorite for the day.” Gareth looped an arm around her shoulders. “I didn’t think you liked us that much.”

“Who said I liked you, I just didn’t like whoever-he-was insinuating that I needed help finding ‘real’ men. Clearly all of you are unless biologically you aren’t, but even transgendered men identify as male and in my book means they’re real men. Besides his voice annoyed me. And I didn’t like him hitting on me. His eyes were creepy.”

“He was checking you out, no shit his eyes were creepy.”

“Really, that’s what was going on?” El looked at Gareth in mock surprise.

He snorted, “You’re quickly losing favoritism dearest manager.”

“And losing feeling in my arms.” She good naturedly bumped her shoulder into him before walking towards the table given to them to use. “Make sure to kick their asses to show them who the ‘real’ men are. I’ll see you on the field.” Then she walked out to find the ladies room and coach (in that order).

“Who thought she had so much sass?” Lance grinned. “I thought she was a quiet little thing and here she is defending our honor and giving us shit for it.”

“Guess we can’t disappoint now. Ready to kick some ass boys!” Will shouted followed by the guys cheering in agreement. The team quickly changed into workout attire so they could get some practice in before changing for the scrimmage. When they returned they found their gear laid out for them with two bottles of water labeled with their number on them and a reusable water bottle that looked to have lemonade in it.

“Does anyone know what this is?” Will asked hesitantly as he sniffed the contents.

“She does secretly like us.” Drustan laughed. “It’s some natural electrolyte drink because apparently Gatorade isn’t really good for us or something. Don’t drink it until you’ve been running around a lot. Something about you don’t sweat more than water until twenty minutes into a workout or something.”
“El made it?”

“I don’t know. Couple of days ago she handed me some and now I don’t crash as hard after practice.”

“You have been looking less dead lately.” Lance nodded.

“It’s awesome and tastes really good.”

“Always a plus, now let’s change so we aren’t late to the game.” Will threw a towel at Drustan whom easily caught it with a grin. By the time Coach Kilg entered, the team was basically ready. After a speech about sportsmanship, it only being a scrimmage, and don’t lose, the team headed out cheering and jumping around like monkeys. The stands were filled with rival fans, but that didn’t stop the excitement and determination coursing through the men’s veins.

El watched with clipboard and pen in hand as the game began. It startled her how aggressive the game was proving to be. She knew it was rough from hours of watching the guys practice, but this was brutal. Body checks, sticks swatting down, hell even the fight for the ball in the beginning was rough. If they played this hard over a scrimmage, how would it be during a game that actually counted? She shivered at the thought as she continued to write down notes.

Halfway through the first half, El found herself patching up Lance. “Would you stop moving!” She growled, trying to tape up his cheek.

“You’re taking too long.” He snapped back.

“I wander why, twitchy.” With a final press she moved aside, “There, go be free to bleed some more.” He didn’t grace her with a reply as he jogged over to coach and waited for reentry. She stepped up to watch the game again with two pieces of paper with writing almost all over both. One was for the team, the other personal notes she’d noticed while the team played.

The crowd cheered and boo’d depending on who had the ball or scored. El was tempted to cheer for her team, but wasn’t sure if she was allowed to. She was already alienated from the team, she didn’t need them mad at her for distracting them or something. The game was close with Avalon winning by one point. She sighed in relief slightly shaking from the adrenaline still pumping through her system. She congratulated the players as they walked back to the side line receiving excited thanks back. As the winning high team made their way back to the locker room, El cleaned up a bit before following after them. Tightening her grip on her clipboard, she half turned to see a group of the other team staring at her. Feeling quite uncomfortable, she hurried her steps to create as much distance between them as possible. As Coach Kilg congratulated the team on their victory, the manager began preparing everything she could for packing. She moved around silently, listening to what the coach had to say. Not long after the guys were dismissed to quickly shower (if they so choose) and change. Since the meeting room was the locker room, El waited outside until given the okay to return. She really didn’t need to see that much of the guys.

While she waited and reorganized her notes for each person, she heard wolf whistles echoing off the walls. Her startled eyes looked up to see the same group from before slowly making their way towards her. She recognized one of the guys as the one that had tried to accost her before. “My, my look who we have here. If it isn’t the whore from before.” The leader grinned.

“I don’t have sex for materialistic things.” El commented off handedly receiving confused startled looks. She sighed, used to the reaction. “Technically a whore is someone who does sexual acts for money or other materialistic things. A derogatory word for a prostitute to which I am not. Neither am I a slut though, I don’t enjoy having copious amounts of sex for pleasure. I’m a one man kind of woman, so not interested.” She looked back down at her notes but kept her other senses on the approaching college students.

“I don’t know if I believe that. From where I stand a lone girl with a slew of men around her, kind of suspicious. I think you find great pleasure in many of the guys in there. Well, maybe not great. You could find a lot better pleasure with us.”

“You aren’t as smooth as you think, I’ll pass.”

“You wound me.” El looked up and tried sliding father away. Why couldn’t the guys change faster? “I bet I could teach you a lot more than any of those guys could ever know. They seem like such… vanilla tight asses.”

“Honestly wouldn’t and don’t want to know. Please, go away.”

“Your mouth is saying no, but your body,” His eyes skimmed slowly over me while his friends grinned lustfully. “Is definitely saying yes.”

“You sir are sexually harassing me, and unless you don’t wish to continue playing the sport I suggest you leave me alone.” Rather seeing the guys naked than dealing with this sleaze bag, El turned only for her wrist to be caught by strong hands.

“Not so fast baby, I’m not done.” The man purred inducing a nauseated reaction to curl in El’s stomach.

“Unhand me.” She glared.

“Come on baby, we know you want to have some fun with us.”

“I believe she asked you to leave her alone.” Both El and the man looked up in surprise to see Lance standing in the entrance with his arms crossed.

“I was just helping her-“

“Shut-up Carson. Let her go or-“

“Or what?” Carson smirked pulling me closer.

“Or I’ll beat you.” Lance deadpanned.

Carson snorted, “Right, like you’ll- Fuck!” He clutched his stomach. “You bitch!”

“So now I’m the bad guy? Whatever.” El turned away and started towards the locker room. “Come on.” She grabbed a very pissed off Lance and pulled him towards his friends.

He stopped her before they could go too far. “You’re going to tell someone right?”

“What? That he was talking to me and held my wrist?”

“That he was harassing you even after you said no.”

El looked down with a clenched jaw. “It’s not like it’s the first time or probably the last. I don’t want it to be a big deal.”

“It kind of is El.”

“I have enough flack as it is as a new member of the team and as a girl, I don’t need more. I can hold my own Lance, you don’t need to worry about me.” He watched as she walked away and started picking up equipment to return to the bus.
♠ ♠ ♠
I like the way El talks especially since in some ways her speech is eloquent yet hold modern day vernacular such as using contractions. She's an old soul that grew up in the 20th/21st century.