Status: Yeah, I'll do my best to update but I'm in hell quarter...

The Once and Future King

Chapter VI

El watched with amusement as Issy fretted to and fro in the living room. Serene was trying to calm their poor friend, but to no avail. In about thirty minutes, Issy’s boyfriend Marcus was apparently showing up for the weekend since it was their two year anniversary or something equally as cutesy. The four of them and some of the group were going to the local club to dance, hangout, drink, and/or play pool before most likely wandering back to one of the closer apartments (most likely Serene and El’s) to further hangout and watch movies. It should be fun if all went well.

Unfortunately, El was a little apprehensive about the whole affair. The guys still treated her as if she were an outside (except for Gareth and to some degree Lance) and from what she had overheard from the guys (mostly Drustan) and been told by Serene, Marcus wasn’t exactly a great guy. He was moody and seemed to play with Issy’s feelings. To her he sounded manipulative, but she would try not to judge until she met the man. She was surprised that her friend was dating someone four years his senior, however she did see the appeal of dating older people. Although going out on occasion was great, she was never really one to get drunk and/or high and party all night long. That desire was further squashed when she went to live in the North Pole for six months where entertainment come from stories, bad black and white movies, watching the Aurora Borealis, and on occasion watching animals interact with each other. Sometimes she felt like an old soul who’d rather watch documentaries, read, play video games, watch movies, or go for walks, rather than party all night like some of her friends.

Then it came, the long awaited knock. The entire room froze for a moment before Issy’s smile grew wide and he rushed to the door. El sat up from where she lounged on the couch eager to finally see this person that caused a buzz in the group. She wasn’t surprised to find yet another relatively attractive man part of the group. She seemed to have made friends with genetically aesthetic people and Marcus was not an outlire. Surprisingly he was a little shorter than Issy although still taller than her, after removing his sunglasses El noticed dark eyes that were either black or dark brown, his dark tanned skin was covered in tattoos stretching from his wrists to mid neck, dark chestnut hair stood stylishly in a messy disarray, and his nicely trimmed beard completed his bad boy look. The pair seemed to be an odd combination even to a new person such as her.

Issy pounced on Marcus the moment the door opened unable to contain the excitement of finally seeing his boyfriend after a month and a half months. “I’m so happy you’re here!” He pulled away, kissed Marcus, and dragged him into the apartment. El noted that although Issy was affectionate to his boyfriend, Marcus seemed stiff and barely reciprocated the joy of seeing his significant other. But she didn’t yet want to judge just in case Marcus was one of those people who didn’t do PDA.

“How are you, Marcus?” Serene asked kindly although her smile was tighter than usual.

“Fine, been working like crazy. The usual.” The young woman nodded and neither made a move to physically greet the other.

“Marcus, this is my new friend El I’ve talked about. We have a few bio classes together.” El met the two halfway and stuck out her hand.

“Nice to meet you. El Hawthorn.” She gave a small smile that leaned more on the shy side than uncomfortable.

“Marcus Cornell.” His voice was deep, but something about it made El want to cringe. Before anything else could be said, he turned to Issy. “What are our plans for the night?” His eyes slowly gliding over Issy’s body, not that the younger seemed to notice.

“Going to Stonehedge for a little while to hang out with everyone and then we can come back here to hangout and watch movies or go back to my place if you’re tired from traveling.” Issy smiled brightly. It was strange seeing this kind of smile on Issy. It wasn’t that he wasn’t smiley all the time, but it felt like everything about him had somehow brightened. It was like for past month he had been shining like a 70wt bulb and now he was a 160wt. It was almost blinding.

Marcus merely nodded though he didn’t look too thrilled to be going out. He remained quiet however, letting Issy drag him onto the couch. “We’ll be heading out around 7:30, do you want anything to eat? We haven’t eaten yet and can make some for you.”

“I’m starving.”

“Okay, sit back and relax and we’ll make the meatballs and pasta.” Issy leaned over, gave Marcus a kiss on the cheek, and bounced off towards the kitchen. El gave the new guest a smile (although it probably looked more like a grimace) before following after her friend. She quietly started on the sauce while Issy and Serene talked while making the meatballs. The atmosphere seemed to turn slowly not that really anyone noticed aside from El who was more in tune with her surroundings than the average person. Her eyes drifted up a little, seeing just through her eyelashes an annoyed expression cross over Marcus’s face. For a split second it looked predatory, as if something of his was being stolen and he wanted it back.

It didn’t take long after that for him to clear his throat, “Isador, beer?”

Issy looked up startled before it morphed into a grin. “Blue Moon or Miller?”

“Blue Moon, Miller sucks.”

With a hum, Issy wiped his hands on a nearby towel and then went to the refrigerator to grab the beer. Easily popping the cap off using the counter’s edge, he walked over to the couch, “Here you go.” Without a thank you, Marcus pulled the younger man into a deep kiss that made the two women uncomfortable. El and Serene weren’t ones to care if a couple showed some PDA, straight or gay they didn’t really care, but this kiss was possessive and too intimate for their liking. Serene turned away rolling her eyes, while El made a face and focused back on her sauce.

“Marcus.” Issy breathed out with a hint of a whine. His cheeks were red and he panted slightly from the heat of the kiss. “Not in front of them.” His beg was low, nearly inaudible to anyone farther than a few feet away.

Marcus grinned seductively, “I haven’t seen you in months. I’ve missed you.” His hand skimmed slowly over Issy’s jean clad thigh.

“I missed you too.”

“Go, before I have to wait til midnight to eat.” He smacked his boyfriend’s bottom earning him a yelp and more of a blush than before. With lustful eyes he tracked Issy with dirty thoughts of what tonight would bring.

An hour and a half later, the four young adults found themselves eating at the small round table the two girls managed to buy. Issy talked animatedly along with Serene who added details to stories that he was filling Marcus on, while Marcus boredly listened and El watched. She was at a loss as to why her dear friend liked this man so much, but didn’t have any right to question the relationship. For all she knew they were a match made in heaven, but she highly doubted it. Just in time the table was cleared and the apartment locked for the evening. The four adults walked the warming streets much like dinner had passed; two talked constantly while two were near silent. El sighed to herself when they finally made it to the club. She really couldn’t wait until her birthday so she could drink. Although drinking didn’t solve any problems, it did help dampen her wonderful abilities. Usually they weren’t that bad, but times like these where she was getting everyone’s energy it was distracting.

“Everyone!” Issy grinned as he waved and pulled Marcus towards the small group that congregated around a pool table. “Look who’s here!”

The group greeted Marcus, some with forced smile, some who genuinely seemed happy he was there, and some who didn’t hide their irritation. Luckily Issy didn’t pay any attention, and those who blatantly scowled earned a punch from Serene and a whispered ‘Be nice.’ El blended in easily, finding a spot near Jenessa and Lance.

“You’re quieter than usual.” Jenessa commented as she took a sip from her beer. “The boys haven’t been mean to you have they.” She looked pointedly at Lance.

“Hey! I have been nothing but mostly civil to her.” He defended. “Right, El?”

The younger woman nodded. “Close second to Gareth.”

“Wait Gareth has been nicer than me? That traitor!”

El let out a laugh. “He has always been nice to me, although that may have more to do with Serene than actually liking me.”

“He likes you.” Jenessa patted El’s shoulder. “Like most of the bo- men in this group they don’t pretend. Even if Serene did threaten him, he would have ignored you rather than be nice.”

“No pretending in our group.” Lance grinned. “So why are you quiet? Well, more so than usual.”

El shrugged, “Clubs aren’t exactly my thing and I’ve kind of lost my dance partner to his boyfriend.”

Their eyes shifted over to the dance floor where Issy and Marcus were dancing quiet crudely. “I’m not very good at conversation.”

“I don’t know, you and Will had a nice conversation on the bus once.”

“That was him fanboying over Arthur.” El rolled her eyes. “And it was mostly on how he was jealous that I had a book he didn’t.”

“Oh please tell me you actually like Arthurian legends.” Jenessa dramatically begged as she grabbed El’s hands.

“I don’t mind them. I find them interesting and know quite a bit about them.”

“Praise the lord! Next time Will gets into his Arthur binges I’m sending him your way. It can be a bonding experience or something. I love the man to pieces and the legends are nice, but honestly he talks about them almost as much as lacrosse and his father.”

“I can try to lessen your burden, but guarantee nothing.” The trio laughed before El was coerced into a few games of pool. In the end she lost to Serene who grinned wickedly and ran off. “I’m scared to know what my dare is. Why did I agree to play?”

“Cause you can’t always be a wallflower.” Will smacked her shoulder, not hard enough to do any damage but she did have to take a step.

“I think I may stick to being one, Serene had a terrifying grin plastered on her face.”
“She is known for her dares. Oh look here she comes.”

“All set! I have requested a song and you will have to dance for us.” The petite girl grinned before skipping off to her boyfriend.

“She’s a devil in disguise. What song could she have possibly requested?”

“You’re looking a little pale, El.” Will laughed before handing her a water. “Get your wits about you because she won’t let you out of it.”

A half an hour later a familiar beat started and El’s face paled. “Show us your dance moves, El!” Serene shouted while sitting on the ledge of a table.

“I hate you so much!” Then she stood there listening to the song’s beginning trying to remember all of the dance moves her and her friend had memorized. Why did her roommate have to remember such an embarrassing story from two months ago? As she danced, Serene made wolf noises earning her the bird as El danced. “I’m never telling you anything ever again.” She threatened as she moved in ways she hadn’t since second quarter freshman year.

“But you look so fine! Damn girl, dance.” Serene cackled as the rest of their friends had mix expressions of surprise and confusion.

Once over El glared, “Never again.”

“But that was near perfect!”

“I don’t care!”

“What the fuck were you doing?” Dustan asked confused and mildly disturbed having just watched their team’s manager dancing.

“You’ve ever heard of Cheerleader? Because she just danced like a BAMF.”

“Why the hell do you even move like that?”

El sighed, “My best friend from childhood wanted to choreograph it because he was trying to win a bet with our other friend. I don’t know how I got dragged into it, but I did and I am ashamed.”

“You should ditch Chemistry and become a dancer.” Serene walked over and threw her arm around El;s shoulders.

“Yeaaah, no.” El snorted. “That took me over a month to learn because I couldn’t keep time and I tripped or fell over. Choreography or dancing with another person is not my forte.”

“Says the woman who dances with Issy every time we go out.”

“That’s different, I may be ‘dancing’ with him, but I don’t have to match him. We dance separately unless some guy is trying to grind up on me.”

“Pity. Speaking of Is, where is he?” Everyone paused and scanned the large crowd. “Captain Tall, you see him?”

“Nope, don’t see our Art major anywhere or his dou- Marcus anywhere.” Will replied, only cutting off his adjective when Jenessa glared at him. “Did he send a text?” Everyone looked down to find that no new texts had been received.

“He probably snuck off to have some alone time with Marc. I mean they haven’t seen each other since we started school.” Jenessa offered.

“You’re probably right.” Serene’s face changed to worry for a second before morphing back to a wide smile. “Alright, who’s gunna lose to me and Gareth this time.” El turned to quickly walk away. “Not gunna try to get me back!” She teased her roommate.

“Not a chance. I suck at pool, now if it was 45s or another card game you’d have me.” The red head grinned before turning back and joining Jenessa and Will.

“So you’re good at cards?” Jenessa asked with a grin to match El’s.

“Had to be if I wanted to stay entertained for six months.” El hopped up on the nearest table and began swinging her legs.

“And what were you doing for six months that required you to only play cards?”

“Researching ice caps in the cold as fuck land of the North Pole. With five men and you, you learn quickly how to play cards and beat them. Now I get free meals at one of the guy’s diner… If I ever head back to Boston.”

“Wait? You spent six months in the North Pole. Did you meet Santa?” Will teased.

While Jenessa shoved him with a scowl, El replied, “No, but I met an elf once. Taller than I expected and he called himself Buddy. He was a jolly young man who made delicious hot coco.”
“Har har, very funny.” Will crossed his arms.

“I thought so. I wish I had, research food isn’t good. It’s all freeze dried or instant. We bet snacks that we managed to bring along and then when those were gone we bet jobs and on occasion other deals such as free meals at a restaurant.”

“What did you have to offer once your snacks ran out?”

“Aside from duties, usually future things like babysitting, treating whoever to a meal once we returned to civilization, and I once bet whatever my future job entailed. The latter took me a little while to convince the guys to allow.”

“You are just one big being of surprises aren’t you?” Jenessa laughed. “What else haven’t you told us?”

With a shrug, El replied, “Wait and see, it’s far more fun that way.”

“I don’t know if I believe you’ve been to the North Pole.”

“Have you’re smart phone?” Will nodded and hesitantly handed it over. El typed away for a moment and then turned the phone to a small article written by Nation Geographic. It was five men and her standing bundled up by a candy cane striped pole with a sign that read North Pole. Under the picture was the names of each person on the research trip. “Even made it into a magazine.”

“Shit.” Will nodded. “Alright, that’s pretty awesome. It makes sense why you walked on the field first day with barely any winter clothing on. I was cold looking at you.”

“Ah yes, 40 degrees feels like summer after spending the winter in the far north. I nearly cried when I felt how warm it was here.” The trio chuckled before Jenessa and Will started asking questions about the exposition.

As the night simmered down, some split off to go home while others followed Serene. El lagged back until she was slowly coasting with a slightly inebriated Drustan. He hummed to himself a tune that was upbeat, but his eyes weren’t as bright as usual. Contemplating whether or not it was her place to say anything, El asked, “Are you alright?”

Possibly startled by her sudden question didn’t cause any stumbled in his tune. “Yeah, why you ask?”

She didn’t want to say his usually bright aura was dampened, thus she replied, “You haven’t talked much tonight. Usually you flitter about holding five conversations at once.” He gave her a disbelieving looking. “Don’t deny, you do. I’ve seen you in three conversations before without stumbling once and you were sloshed.”

He snorted as he thought, “I am talented that way, but no worries just taking a back seat this time. Gotta keep everyone on their toes.” He grinned with eyes almost shining like usual.

“Alright. Are you coming to the apartment or are we dropping you off at yours?”

“I think I might join, got nothing better to do and you are closer to the school than my place.” The rest of the walk was quiet except for the few times one of them swayed a little too far from the group. By the time they made it to the apartment, almost everyone had mellowed out and flopped on one of the couches or chairs to watch a movie. Most didn’t care what they watched as long as it wasn’t too scary. Easily agreeing Drustan popped in Captain America: Winter Soldier while El managed to gather enough food for drunk munching and glasses of water for everyone. Five minutes in, El finally dropped into the seat between Drustan and Lance. By halfway through the movie everyone had passed out, only waking when there was banging at the door and an overly happy Issy with a less than thrilled Marcus.
♠ ♠ ♠
Longer than usual, but you got to meet Issy's boy