Status: Yeah, I'll do my best to update but I'm in hell quarter...

The Once and Future King

Chapter VII

Most of the team was on edge come Monday. Friday had been great, but it all went downhill the longer Marcus stayed. Drustan made every excuse under the sun to not be near the occasionally happy couple, the girls of the group tried to be mediators between their significant others and the couple, while the guys tried to keep each other in check and not kill the obnoxious asshole that Marcus turned out to be. Even El had to bite her lip on more than one occasion not to snap at the man that tried Issy more often than not like shit. She had witnessed once the younger man dropping a cup and spilling water only for Marcus to cruelly make fun of him and using derogatory names. When El tried to say something, Issy gave her a tight smile before making an excuse about him being a klutz. She merely stared at him before helping him clean up the mess.

Thus the longer Marcus stayed the more the group became tense even snapping at each other to relieve some of the pent up energy. The coach was growing tired of his team’s bullshit that he ordered an extra mile to their run. It didn’t help, honestly it made some more prone to lashing out. An excellent example was when they returned only to find the water to be nearly empty in the cooler. El happened to be in the vicinity and ended up yelled at by the team captain who up until that point had been the calmest of the group. “What the hell, El? We’re working our asses off and you can’t even do the simple job of making sure the cooler is filled?”

She glared at the taller man, “You aren’t the only one running around working your butt off.”

“Oh yes because standing there recording is quite the difficult job.” He rolled his eyes.

“I’d like to see you do my job.”

Will bared his teeth, “I could do your job with one hand tied behind my back, unlike you.”

“Will.” Lance warned, but went ignored by the heated glares between the captain and manager.

“Maybe if you didn’t have rich prats calling you for every little thing.”

“Especially with people having me do my job while they work harder than you could ever imagine. I don’t even know why you’re still here, if Camden was-“

“I’m not your old manager and I am doing just fine thank you.” Her cheek were turning red with anger, she hated being compared to the old manager. It was bad enough she felt like she was barely staying afloat while working she didn’t need to be reminded how perfect their last manager was. “Stop taking out your anger on me, it’s not my fault Issy’s boyfriend is a douchewanker. Piss off.” She turned on her heels and stalked back to the locker room to get fresh water so the team didn’t become dehydrated.

“What the fuck?” Will glared at the retreating form of El.

“Seriously, what the hell Will?” Lance grabbed his best friend’s arm and started taking a walk around the course away from everyone else. “She filled the cooler this morning and has been running around just has much as us for coach. I get you’re running on tension and anger like everyone else, but you didn’t need to take it out on her.”

“You’re defending her now?”

“Yes, you may not think so but she is our friend and teammate.”

Will blew out a breath full of all his heated emotions while running his fingers through his sweat soaked hair. “I didn’t mean to say any of that, it just came out.”

“I get it, but you need to talk to her after. You blowing up at her was unjustly warranted.”

“I know. Fuck, it’s only been three days with that guy. How’s Drustan?”

“He kinda looked like El punched him in the balls when she talked about Marcus.”

“Do you think she knows about his feelings?”

Lance shrugged, “She’s very observant, so probably.”

“Kind of a dick move to say that in front of him.”

“She also isn’t one to pull punches verbally, especially when trying to make a point. Unlike most of us, she won’t have a problem speaking her mind.”

“I don’t know, she’s following our lead. She was there when he called Issy a fumbling fag when he dropped a glass. She looked like she wanted to object but Issy stopped her with his puppy eyes.”

“I doubt the silence will last. I’m a little afraid of what’s going to happen when she’s had enough.”
“What do you mean?”

“We all don’t say anything because of Issy, but if she snaps…” Lance shakes his head. “The camps might be divided between trying to get Issy to realize his boyfriend is a dick, while others will side with Issy to appease him.”

“Shit.” It was true, something like that was definitely possible. It was bound to happen, they just needed one person to be the catalyst and the friend group would split. “As much as I don’t want fighting between our group because it’ll get messy, I also hope it does. Issy needs to get out of that relationship and it’s taking a toll on Drustan.”

Lance patted his friend’s shoulder in sympathy. “I know the feeling.” They rejoined the group, calming some of the tension that existed. After practice Will apologized for his behavior and ended up helping her get ready for the afternoon session before separating for their classes. Tense peace lasted for another two days, but just as Lance predicted there was a battle between four members of the group causing a silent split.

Wednesday found El, Issy, Marcus, and Lance in El’s apartment. El and Lance were finishing up their paper for Arthurian Lit, while Issy and Marcus waited or Selene to get home. It was going well as the studious members worked at the small circular table and the couple cuddled on the couch. It was the first time in almost a week where the atmosphere wasn’t thick with some emotion that made you want to choke. They only had to last another hour before Serene would burst through the door all smiles and whisk the two ‘love’ birds away to do whatever they planned. Only an hour. Only 60 minutes. Only 3600 seconds. It should have been easy thing to do, but Marcus was anything but easy or nice. He was manipulative and felt entitled.

Hearing harsh whispering, El glanced up to see Marcus’s angry face muttering words to Issy whom seemed to shrink away. Not saying anything like everyone else, she watched the altercation between the two men ready to step in if need be. As the minutes passed she held her pen tighter causing the notes she was writing to become darker and etching invisible words to the page behind.

“You look like a fucking hooker. Are you trying to make me look bad or like you’re offering your body to anyone who walks by? Go change that fucking shirt. You’re such a fag.” Marcus all but slammed his back into the couch looking away and ignoring Issy. Without saying a word, Issy got up and scurried to Serene’s room where he had a few extra shirts kept for days he stayed over.

“You could be nicer to your boyfriend.” El commented staring straight at the older man.

Marcus turned with a sneer. “I can do or say whatever I want to him. He is my boyfriend after all.”

“Just because he is doesn’t mean you shouldn’t respect him.”

“Just stay out of it.”

“I won’t if I think he is being hurt in any way.” She warned earning her a hand on her wrist from Lance.

Marcus got up and stalked halfway over. “You don’t understand a thing, I suggest you keep your nose out of our business.”

Not one to be intimidated, she shook Lance’s hand off and walked over to Marcus without fear. “Or what?”

“Or,” He straightened up trying to appear taller than his already 5’11” height. “You’ll most likely regret it.”

Unable to see, but hearing a sudden movement behind her El knew Lance had stood up. Ignoring him she asked, “Are you threatening me?”

“Promising really. I can treat my boyfriend however I want. I will not have him looking like a fucking cheap hooker and embarrass me in public.”

“First off Marcus, Issy looked fine in his shirt. I’m pretty sure the only reason you don’t want him to wear it is because you’re afraid that some nice fellow will come by and take him from your sorry ass-“

“You little bitch.” Marcus took a step forward, only to have Issy step in between the fighting pair.

“El, come with me for a second.” Issy wrapped his long strong fingers around her forearm and dragged her to Serene’s room. “What are you doing?” He looked angrily at his friend with crossed arms.

“Putting him in his place.” El defended.

“In his place?”

“He’s being disrespectful and an asshole.”

“No, he-“

“Issy, he’s been putting you down, manipulating you, and calling you names since he’s arrived.”
“It’s nothing.”

“It’s not nothing! You can’t let him treat you like that.”

“Stay out of it, El. You don’t know anything.”

“I know he’s a manipulative bastard who tries to strong arm you or put you dow-“

“El stop! Just let it go.”

“No!” El cried “Someone needs to make you see tha-“

“Leave it alone. Me and Marcus are not any of your business.”

“You’re my friend Issy, how he treats you is my business.”

“It really isn’t.” He sighed in frustration. “Just stay out of it. How I treat Marcus or vice versa is not your concern.”

“How he treats you really is. Look in any pamphlet about controlling, manipulative bastar-“

“Say another word, El,” Issy’s voice turned dark and icy, “And we’re through. Then I Won’t be your problem. Leave it alone.” He turned on his heels only to hear El whisper something but it was too low to know exactly what she said. He stalked out, grabbed Marcus’s wrist, and stormed out the door without saying anything.

By the time El walked back out only Lance remained and he had long abandoned the assignment.

“You’re definitely not like any of us.” He commented taking in her frustrated appearance.

Her eyes slide to him and for a second seemed to shimmer or glow in the light. “I’ve noticed.” She let out a harsh breath before snapping. “Why doesn’t anyone bring up the giant ass elephant in the room? Seriously, those two are in classic abusive relationship and whenever Marcus is around or brought up Drustan looks like a kicked puppy. None of this is healthy.”

“We tried in the beginning, but it was either lose him or keep an eye on them. Serene would be devastated without him and we try to protect him the best we can, but he gets defensive if we say anything.” She could hear the sympathy in his voice and it annoyed her.

“I don’t give a rat’s ass if he gets pissed at me, I’m not playing nice. He needs a rude wake up call.”

“You’re going to lose a friend.”

“Wrong,” She looked at him with determination on her face. “He may say that I’m not his friend, but he’ll still be mine. Even if his head is up his ass.” Lance chuckled as he shook his head. She was different, but in a good way. Maybe their group really did need someone like her added to their ranks.