Blood on the Midnight Roses

NINE-Dreams Breaking Into The Real World

CALISTA POV

I look at myself in the mirror with disgust. The girl looking back isn’t me, she’s weak and fearful and lets everyone walk all over her. She’s not who I want to be, who’s inside me fighting to escape. My hair is in a ballet-style bun, showing off my lightly pink, make-up covered face. Diamonds hung from my ears and neck and my tight light pink covered every inch of my body; hiding my skin and scars.

Vivian; You look perfectly stunning Cali. This dress suits you

My mother stands behind me, acting nice and sweet yet anger burns within her. She places a hand on my lower band and pushes, right on one of the belt marks. I have to hide my pain, I won’t show her that she’s hurt me.

Vivian (hisses); You will behave yourself tonight won’t you dear? I’d hate to belt you again

Calista (nods and whispers); Yes mother

Vivian; Good, and you will dance with Crawford tonight?

Calista (whispers); Yes mother

Vivian; Well done, I cannot wait for the announcement. (Kisses Calista’s cheek) I’ll see you down stairs

She leaves me alone, letting it all sink in. The announcement, that Crawford and I are a couple once again. I have no choice in the matter, no matter how much I fight my parents and everyone else. Soon the whole town will know that we’re back together and some day will be man and wife. That is the plan for my life; marry Crawford after high school and become a housewife.

8:45

2 hours and 15 minutes of hell and fake smiles and laughter. I so want this to be over. I’m force to stand by Crawford’s side, his arm glued to my shoulder. I have to stand by his side and smile at all these mindless people, laugh at their unfunny jokes and listen to their meaningless words. Play my part, that’s all I have to do. Hell, it’s all I know. My 16 year old sister, Priscilla walks beside me with a big grin on her pretty face and a wine glass of fizzy orange in her tiny hands. Sweet Priscilla, the perfect sister and the apple of daddy’s eye. The golden girl.

Priscilla; Isn’t this a perfect night Cali? The people, the food, the music. I’m having so much fun, aren’t you?

I know her game, she knows that I hate parties like this. She knows how much I don’t want to be with Crawford. She just loves to rum it in my face that she’s free to do whatever she wants and I’m trapped in a loveless relationship. I’m dying to scream at her how I feel and punch her in the face, but I know that is what she wants.

Calista’s Mind; Play your part Calista. Play your role

Calista (fake happy); Yes dear Priscilla, I’m having a wonderful time. You look lovely tonight, doesn’t she Crawford?

Crawford (hiding anger); Yes, lovely

Pain and hate twists at my heart stings when Crawford snuck a look at Priscilla. She just stood there and smiles at him, a knowing and evil smile. I’m sandwiched in between two people who hurt me the most; a boy who claims to love me yet cheats on me, and my sister, one of the many to come to his bed.

Priscilla (sly); Why thank you Cali, mother helped me choose it. Simple, classic and pale blue, my colour. You look good too, though that shade of pink just doesn’t go with your skin tone and doesn’t make you stand out. Still, we both know who’s the favourite is, so of course the best dress would go to me. It’s only natural

I swear if it was possible, steam would be blowing out of my ears. She’s really pushing my buttons and what’s worse, Crawford is just standing there and letting it happen. Why does the whole town want me to get back together with him again?

Ascelin; I think she looks wonderful, best looking woman here in my eyes

That voice, Ascelin’s voice. He’s here? I turn around and a huge smile kisses my lips. He is here, standing before looking handsome in a tight blood red shirt and black leather pants. Next to him are his parents; Idris dressed in a dark grey and navy blue suit with tails and Kalonice looks like a Goddess in her dark purple flowing gown.

Calista; Ascelin, what are you doing here?

Ascelin; Your father invited us, he thought this was the perfect setting to introduce ourselves to the town. Why? Are you not happy to see me?

Calista (blushing); Oh…um…well

Crawford (jumping in and acting happy); Yes of course WE are. Welcome to Silver Wings Ascelin, I’m the vicar’s son and Calista’s boyfriend Crawford Harrison

Crawford sets his hand out to shake, a cruel smirk on his face. Ascelin face hide his hate and rage well and to Crawford’s shock, he shook his hand and smiled at him.

Ascelin; Pleasure to meet you Crawford. These are my parents Idris and Kalonice Nightingale

Kalonice (cheerful); It’s wonderful to meet you Crawford. Calista, how are you feeling?

Calista (quite but happy); Much better, and thank you for looking after me

Vivian (joining the talk); So you’re the Nightingales? Welcome and thank you for coming to our little party

Calista; Idris, Kalonice, Ascelin, this is my mother Vivian Arlington

Vivian (cruel); Cali, we don’t address those we just met in a causal manner. To you it’s Mr and Mrs Nightingale

Shit, I’m in trouble. I should of came my mouth shut.

Kalonice; There’s no need for formalities Vivian, Calista can call us by our first names if she wants to

Idris; Of course, I have no problem with it

I smile, a genuine happy smile. The Nightingale’s are so nice to me, they don’t know me yet they’re so nice to me. They feel, I don’t know, like true family. My true family.

Vivian (in disgusted); Right, well in your home she can but here it’s formalities all the way. That’s how we’ve brought her up

Calista (muttering); Yes mother, sorry Mr and Mrs Nightingale

Ascelin (whispering); Calista

Vivian (jumping and proud); Anyway, this beautiful lady in blue is my daughter Priscilla

Priscilla; Please to meet you

Idris and Kalonice nodded at my sister out of respect, while Ascelin burns holes in Crawford head. He has clearly not forgotten nor forgiven Crawford, and he knows it. I can tell that he’s going to pick Ascelin apart.

Crawford; So Ascelin, what are your actives? I play football, tennis, golf, chess, piano and part of the school council. Were you popular in your old school? Do you believe in sex before marriage?

Calista (shocked and embarrassed); Crawford! Don’t be so rude!

Ascelin; No Calista, it’s ok. I didn’t go to school until now, me and my siblings were all home schooled. I believe that people should be allowed to sleep with anyone as long as you’re single. And as for actives; I do judo, play guitar, piano and violin a little

Idris; A little? My boy is excellent at the violin

Crawford; Really? Well Vivian if you don’t mind, why don’t we hear some of Ascelin’s excellent violin playing

Priscilla (excited); Oh yes mother, I want to hear as well

Vivian; I too want to hear his playing, if that’s ok with you?

She looks at Ascelin and his family with cruelty in her eyes and an evil smirk. Oh she is loving this, silently mocking them. I hoping he’s as good as Idris says he is. However Ascelin seems unaffected by this and begins to walk to the stage, with my mother by his side. She goes to the microphone, the garden falls quite.

Vivian; Greetings everyone. As you all know we have a new family living here in Silver Wings. Please welcome the Nightingales

When she claps, everyone claps. When she stops, everyone stops. That’s how this town works.

Vivian; Speaking of the Nightingales, Ascelin here is an excellent violinist and he wants to play us something. Take it away Sir

She claps again as she walks off the stage. Ascelin picks up a nearby violin, winking at me before he plays.

https://youtu.be/ECQ7Go8cbco?list=PLnU_U_aKiT5zIQB5DsAoGIeNCHQsh2NC9
Niccolò Paganini - Caprice No. 24 in A minor

As he began to play, the entire garden went deadly silent in shock and wonder. He’s playing Caprice No.24 in A minor, a very difficult and fast piece. Not even Crawford can play it. Ascelin makes it look so easy. I close my eyes and my body slowly starts to sway. I’m hypnotized by the music, by him. By the 0:16 mark, my world goes black and I see me, in a low-cut flowing red dress and no shoes and I’m dancing to the music. This cannot be me, I can’t dance especially ballet however she looks just like me. She, me, was pirouetting and jumping around. Every move kept in time with the music, going from fast to slow then fast again without breaking a sweat. She, or I, looks so confident and sure and free. I look beautiful. When 2:45 came, a shirtless Ascelin came behind me, taking my hand and began to dance with me. Slow, graceful and sexual all at the same time. His large, strong hands never left my body once and he touched nearly everywhere. My sides, my stomach, my shoulders, my legs and my breasts. And even though I know it’s all a dream, I can feel every touch, every hit of his breath on my skin. How I wish this was real. The big finish is me twirling around on one foot and landing on my knees. Then when the music stops, I see him and I looking at me, smiling. I then speak to myself, however the voice which comes out is not my own. It’s…British.

Dream Calista; Soon this will come to be once again, you will dance together again I promise. For now, enjoy the dance alone

And just like that she’s gone, the darkness fades away back to the light of the garden and I’m in the middle of the dance floor, on my knees wearing no shoes and sweating and out of breath. All eyes are on me, no one says a word. What has just happen?

Ascelin; Calista, you dance like an angel