Blood on the Midnight Roses

SEVEN-Scared For Her

CALISTA POV

Crawford; Cali, come to me right now!

Shit, I forgot that Crawford was coming over. I’m in so much trouble, I know he’ll tell my mother that I snuck out of the house. I’ll get a beating for sure. I begin to panic, I knew that I shouldn’t have gone out.

Ascelin; Are you ok Calista?

The bed dips causing me to jump. I look up to face Kalonice, her hand on my knee and a concern smile on her pretty face.

Kalonice; Who is that boy yelling sweetheart? And why do you look so scared?

She gets closer to me, her other hand on my shoulder with her thumb stroking it. I’m can sense tears rolling down my cheeks. This is what it’s like, to have a mother.

Calista’s Mind; You’re so stupid. Do you really believe these people give a fuck about you? They’re just using you, like everyone else uses you. You’re the Mayor’s sad daughter, and that is it

My mind is right, I can’t let them get too close to me. I gently shove Kalonice hands off my body and place Eirlys on her knee, roll off the bed and bolt right to the door.

Lycoris; Calista, where are you going?

Calista; I’m sorry, so sorry. I can’t stay here. I’m sorry

I run out of the room, straight down the hallway while the Nightingale clan call out to me. This is just too much, these weird feelings of knowing them and how natural we speak to each other. I need to go home and face the punishment. I run right out of the front door, my eyes landing on Crawford. He looks mad, fuck I’m in real shit. I walk straight to him, my eyes focusing on the grass.

Calista (mutters); Hey Crawford

Crawford (angry but controlled); Cali, where have you been? Your mother asked me to check in on you and told me you were at home. I looked in your room and I was so, so worried when I didn’t see you in there, and the window open

I forgot my parents gave Crawford a key to the house and my bedroom, so he can spy on me for them when they’re out of town or if I’m sick.

Calista (shy); I’m, I’m sorry Crawford. I needed some air and some food, so I climb out the window. I didn’t mean to worry you

What the fuck is wrong with me? I act so strong and like “I don’t give a shit”, yet around him and my parents I am a shy, scared and nervous little girl. I can’t stand not having a back-bone, so did Autumn. Crawford comes closer to me, his mint breath hitting my messy hair and his large hands holding my arms tightly, a little too tightly.

Crawford; Cali you know that you shouldn’t climb out the window, you could of have hurt yourself. Your mother locked your door for a reason, you’re not ready to go out on your own. You understand that right?

ASCELIN POV

My ears are burning, the sound and words from that cunts mouth tastes like poison. How can Calista, my Calista feel so weak against this little troll? How she believe all this bullshit? How could her mother lock her in a bedroom and let a teenage boy have a key? This is stupid beyond words. I must be the one to take care of her, clear away her tears. This boy is nothing; he may be muscular and strong looking, but I know for a fact that I could beat him within seconds. I get up and walk to door, I’ve had enough of sitting here.

Hesperia; Ascelin, where are you going?

Ascelin; Where’d you think? I’m not going to sit here while that asshole hurts and brainwashes MY girl

Danika; And what, beat the crap out of him? Bro you know that you can’t do that

Jocasta (yelling); Why not Dani? From what we’ve heard out there, that twat deserves a good beating

Hesperia; Jo no swearing. Ascelin, Dani is right. You can’t beat him, not yet. We’ve only just moved here and we need to stay in town so we can…

Kalonice (quietly snaps); Hesperia, not here

My sister closes her lips and her eyes cast to the floor. It is rare to hear my mother snap or yell, but when she does it’s a serious matter. And the reason why we’re here is a serious matter, one that the younger girls should know. She looks at me, her fingers running through Eirlys hair to calm her.

Kalonice; Ascelin, go and talk to this boy. Don’t fight, it won’t win Calista over. Just talk and keep her safe. Malachi and Waldron, go with him. Lycoris go to Perseus and keep him in his room.

Hesperia, call your father and help me with the girls

We all nodded in agreement. Even though father is all powerful, it is mother who rules the house. Her word is law. Me and my two brothers leave the room and headed outside. Once we get to the front, I have to fight the redness clouding my eyes. I see that cunt, holding Calista a little too roughly and my girl looking scared and shy. As I walk, I remain myself of what my mother told me. Just talk, not fight.