Status: Girls CAN change the world.

The Millsville Five

Bette Kinsella grew up with privilege, her father a prominent banker and her mother at the top of society's elite. She has friends, family, money, and popularity, and is on her way to becoming one of the most extraordinary young debutantes that Greater Louisville has ever seen. But in late 1929, everything changes, and Bette soon discovers what life is like after everything she loves is taken away from her.
With her only solace and sanity found in the company of her four closet friends - Mallie, Laura, Iris, and Rose - Bette finds every day to be a struggle just to survive. But when the girls discover a life-changing opportunity to make their lives better, they jump at the chance. And for the first time in most of their lives, they find a way to put their troubles behind them.
Bootleggers, Klan members, shady hotel owners, and bounty hunters all form the world these five girls will come to know. And if they are going to make that world a better place, they'll find that it often comes at a price.
  1. Introduction
    This is the story of Millsville, and thus the story of the Five.
  2. Chapter One
    Bette recruits the girls to another job for her father.