Status: Complete.

Uncharted Waters

Chapter Nineteen

Gigi paced restlessly in the Tully's parlor, wondering what her father and Link were talking about. She heard footsteps in the hallway upstairs and Ben telling Link there was an extra guest room at the end of the hall. She bounced impatiently on the balls of her feet when she heard Ben return to the library. She considered barging in and accosting him with her burning question, but knew if he was alone in the library with the door closed, he was deep in serious thought and it was best not to disturb him.

Huffing, she bounded up the stairs to her own room, forcing herself to sit still and try to draw in her journal before deciding Link would surely have had enough time by now to get settled in his room. She tossed the journal onto her bed and went to the balcony, shimmying with ease down the trellis and scurrying along the wall to the trellis beneath the final guest room. She was on the balcony in record time, pleased to find that Link had opened the doors to let in a breeze. She batted the curtain aside as she darted into the room.

"Please tell me you said yes!" she exclaimed. Link, who had his bags scattered across the bed, his hair still damp, leaped nearly three feet in the air and ran into the nightstand.

"Gemma!" he said incredulously. "I'm not decent," he hissed and just then she noticed that he had a towel wrapped around his waist and no shirt. She cocked her head, eyes twinkling mischievously.

"I don't mind," she said innocently, causing Link's face to turn the deepest shade of crimson she had seen yet. He rummaged hastily through a bag, pulling out a random shirt and trying to tug it on. Gigi bit back a giggle.

"Link? Your buttons are all crooked and the shirt is inside out," she said. He looked down and grimaced.

"Right," he muttered, trying to fix it. Gigi swept across the room and caught his hands, yanking them away from the buttons and holding them.

"Did he ask you?" she asked impatiently. "Did you say yes?"

"Yes, and yes," Link replied. He still looked embarrassed at her seeing him in his state of undress but the corner of his mouth lifted in a small smile. Gigi squeaked and flung her arms around him, startling him and sending them both toppling over on the bed. She kissed him fiercely on the lips before planting kisses on his cheeks, forehead and nose.

"Gemma," he said weakly. "This is...most inappropriate. What if Ben walks in?"

"He won't walk in, he'll knock," Gigi replied, grinning. "And if he does I'll climb back down the balcony."

"Well...at least let me get dressed then," Link said. Smirking, Gigi sat up, pulling him with her and undoing his crooked buttons.

"What are you doing?"

"Fixing your shirt, silly." She pushed it off his shoulders and turned it right side out before handing it back to him with a sweet smile. Face still red, he put the shirt on and buttoned it up correctly this time. He pulled a pair of pants out of his bag and gave her a pointed look until she made a show of facing the wall and covering her eyes.

"All right, I'm dressed," he said. Gigi spun around and flung herself into his arms again.

"I'm so happy you're going with us," she said quietly. He hugged her back and gently kissed the top of her head.

"I am too," he replied.

"Did they give you too much trouble when you quit?"

"Actually, no." Link frowned slightly. "It was a bit strange. Our employer didn't seem fazed at all really, aside from making me pack up and leave that instant."

"Poor Link," she murmured. "You don't need to worry about them anymore."

Link smiled though Gigi thought for a moment that she saw a flicker of worry in his eyes.

"I want to thank you again, Gemma," he said. "I never would have had this opportunity if it wasn't for you."

"Oh don't go thanking me just yet. You're probably going to go absolutely crazy being stuck on a ship with the Griffith family and get tired of us." She laughed lightly.

"That's completely impossible," Link replied. He pulled her closer and bent his head to kiss her. She clung to him until they heard a soft knock at the door. She leaped back, biting her lip to keep from laughing at the panicked look on Link's face.

"Just a minute!" Link called. Gigi kissed his cheek and then darted out onto the balcony, swinging over the edge and climbing down the trellis. She raced back to her own room, draping herself across the bed and grabbing her journal just as there was a knock at her own door and Ben stuck his head in.

"Dinner is ready," he told her. Gigi shut her journal and hopped out of bed to follow him downstairs. Link was in the hall with him, blushing when Gigi shot him a wink while Ben's back was turned. When everyone was gathered around the table Ben cleared his throat.

"I have an announcement to make, though it likely won't come as much of a surprise to anyone. Link is going to be joining us onboard the Silver Spirit when we leave in a few days."

"He is?" Gigi exclaimed, feigning delighted shock.

"That's wonderful," Scarlett said, voice and expression completely polite and neutral. Madi on the other hand had to take a hasty sip of water and pretend to cough to cover her laughter. Gigi kicked her lightly under the table. Evelyn shot them both a sideways look, and even Simon seemed to be smothering a smirk. It was only Benji and his namesake who remained unaware of Gigi's feelings for Link and the success of her plan. Link was suddenly fascinated by his utensils as several pairs of amused eyes landed on him.

"Well that's absolutely fantastic. Congratulations, Lincoln," Evelyn said warmly.

"You won't learn more from anyone else," Simon added. "Ben is a complete know it all and knows more seemingly useless facts than anyone."

"Thank you, Simon," Ben said, scowling at his friend. Simon raised his glass as if toasting, a teasing grin on his face. After dinner Madi disappeared, and Gigi could only assume she was off meeting this Gavin person again. Gigi waited impatiently as Ben and Benji commandeered Link in the library for an hour. Scarlett found her in the garden.

"Your devious little endeavor has worked, I see," she said, sitting beside Gigi with a laugh.

"I suppose it has." Gigi couldn't stop the smile from spreading across her face.

"You really like him," Scarlett said, studying her. Gigi ducked, her cheeks turning pink.

"I do," she agreed.

"Your father will realize eventually that you two are smitten with one another."

"I know. But I'm hoping by then he'll like Link enough to not throw him overboard."

Scarlett laughed. "I'll do my best to prevent your silly father from making your dear Link walk the plank," she promised.

"Mother, how did you know Daddy was the one?" Gigi asked, reaching out to touch the soft rose petals. Scarlett considered for a moment.

"I didn't realize how empty my heart was until Ben came along and filled it up," she said finally. "He was like sunshine after years of dark skies."

"Is it like that for Uncle Percy and Aunt Emily too?"

"Oh, I'd say your Aunt Emily is definitely sunshine," Scarlett grinned. "She brings out the very best in Percy."

Gigi returned her smile, thinking about her tiny, energetic aunt and her gentle giant of a husband.

"Why do you ask? Do you think Link is your one?"

"It would be completely silly to think that, wouldn't it? I've only known him for a few weeks."

"Mmm. I'm not sure love has a specified time period," Scarlett said. "You've always been a very smart girl, Gigi. No one but you knows what your heart tells you. I'll tell you this though, you certainly do seem to sparkle when he's around. More so than usual. And I see him sneaking glances at you when he's sure Ben won't notice."'

Gigi perked up. "Really?"

"So this is where you two are hiding."

They looked up to see Ben standing under the archway that led to the garden, smiling softly at them.

"Oh no, we've been spotted," Scarlett whispered loudly. "I'll distract him, you run."

Gigi giggled as her mother stood and pulled Ben into a kiss while Gigi ducked around them.

"Unfair tactics," Ben told Scarlett, trying to swallow a laugh.

"All is fair in love and war, Mr. Griffith," she declared. Sh yelped as Ben tickled her sides, swatting at his arm. Gigi watched them for a moment, noting the way love seemed to practically radiate from them. Smiling, she called a good night before returning to her bedroom. She lay awake late into the night, feeling far too excited to sleep. She slipped outside and over to Link's balcony again. She could see his light on and slipped inside to find him sitting up in bed reading. He jumped when he saw her, banging his head against the headboard and flinching.

"I'm sorry," Gigi said quickly. "I didn't mean to startle you. Again." She sat on the edge of his bed. "Are you all right?"

"Yes." He gingerly rubbed his head. Gigi scooted closer, moving his hand so she could place a soft kiss on his injury.

"Gemma," Link said, his tone a mix of exasperation and fondness. "What are you doing in here so late? It's not-"

"Yes I know, it's not appropriate." Gigi rolled her eyes. "I'm not really concerned with propriety right now, Link," she said sternly. His lips twitched.

"Clearly," he said. "Or you wouldn't be in my room in the middle of the night."

Gigi sniffed. "Well if you want me to leave I can..." She started to move away from him but he quickly pulled her back. Satisfied, Gigi curled against his side and kissed him.

"That's what I thought," she murmured, smiling.

"I may have been wrong earlier," Link whispered back. "It is quite possible that you're going to drive me crazy, Gemma Griffith."

She beamed, then kissed him again.

*********

There were a lot of preparations needed to ready the Silver Spirit to sail again. Gigi dragged Link with her to the market to place some supply orders for her parents.

"Are you excited to embark on your life of wild adventures?" Gigi asked, linking her arm with his.

"I don't think it's quite sunk in yet that it's happening," Link admitted. "It's what I've dreamed about my entire life. I never thought it would happen. Then I got taken on with my last team, but that of course didn't exactly work out as I had hoped."

"Well I do hope I can succeed in making your dreams come true, Link."

She looked up at him and there was a sort of far away look in his eyes.

"Can you go ask the produce vendor to prepare an order of oranges?" she asked. "Just tell them it's for the Griffiths."

He nodded, heading to a nearby stall while Gigi kept wandering the market, looking for a gift for her father. She found a lovely little telescope and scooped it up eagerly. She turned, not paying attention, and bumped into someone who had come up to the stall beside her.

"Oh! I'm terribly sorry," she said. A tall blond man turned around, scowling until he saw her standing there.

"No trouble at all," he said, shooting her an easy grin as he looked her up and down. She could feel his eyes on her the entire time she was paying for the telescope. Giving him a tight smile, Gigi pivoted on her heel and hurried away in search of Link.