Status: Complete.

Uncharted Waters

Chapter Twenty-Five

Gigi and Link found themselves outside in the garden, sitting beside the rose bushes. Gigi didn't let go of his hand, sitting pressed against his side.

"Do you think Mr. Griffith will still want me as his apprentice?" Link asked suddenly, looking nervous. "I may have made him angry enough that he'll maroon me on a desert island somewhere."

Gigi laughed. "You did help save me," she pointed out. "He kind of owes you now. Besides, I want you to come with us. I'll wear him down if I need to."

She ran her fingers through his hair before wrapping her arms around his neck and pulling him into a long kiss. A quiet cough had them springing apart, and Link's face turned scarlet as they saw Ben standing under the garden arch, lips pursed and one eyebrow cocked.

"Hi, Daddy," Gigi said cheerfully, trying to act as though nothing had happened. He sighed and rolled his eyes before coming to stand in front of them.

"Is Mother still mad at you?" Gigi asked.

"Gigi," Ben said, sounding exasperated. "Don't try to change the subject. I need to have a conversation with the two of you."

She felt Link tense slightly beside her and she brushed her fingers lightly over his.

"I'm not pleased that you two were sneaking around together behind my back," Ben began. He studied each of their faces and Gigi lowered her eyes, chagrined.

"I have half a mind to put Link on the next ship bound for New England," Ben went on, holding up a hand as Gigi's head snapped up angrily. Ben's gaze turned to Link. "However, you did help me save my daughter's life. I can tell that you love her, and that she loves you. And I can't stand the thought of her being broken-hearted. Since she was born I've done nothing but try to make her happy. You're tied to her happiness now it seems, Link. And you are one of the brightest people I've ever met, and clearly not power hungry and selfish like Gavin was. So, you may still join us on the Spirit as my apprentice."

Gigi let out a squeak as Link sighed in relief. She jumped up and hugged her father tightly before turning and hugging Link. Her beaming smile faded slightly though as she noticed the sad look in Ben's eyes.

"Link, would you mind excusing us for a little bit?" she asked quietly.

"Not at all." Link stood. He hesitated for a moment before addressing Ben. "Thank you, Mr. Griffith. I'm so, incredibly sorry for everything that happened. I swear, I'll never keep secrets like this from you again. You won't regret keeping me on."

Ben managed a small smile before Link shuffled off to leave Ben and Gigi alone. She grabbed his hand.

"Let's go for a walk," she said, leading him out of the garden. They strolled along the beach in silence for a little while.

"Daddy," she said finally.

"Hmm?"

"Thank you, for letting Link still come with us."

He smiled again, squeezing her hand. "You're welcome, my love."

"And I'm sorry I snuck around with him behind your back. I just know how you feel about me and boys. Julio has always been terrified of you."

Ben laughed softly. "I suppose I can be a little overprotective," he agreed. Then his eyes grew sad again. "But I guess you don't need me so much anymore."

"Of course I need you." Gigi pulled him to a halt and wrapped her arms around him. "I'll always need you, silly goose. You're my Daddy. I love you, and nothing will ever ever change that."

He hugged her back, kissing the top of her head. "I love you too, little monster."

"We should get back before Mother gets mad at you all over again," Gigi said, trying not to laugh as Ben grimaced. They entered the house to the sound of excited chatter in the kitchen and the smell of dinner. Gigi was surprised to see Julio at the table with everyone else, sitting beside Madi. Ben shot her a puzzled look and Gigi shook her head.

"I'll explain it to you when you're older," she whispered and Ben rolled his eyes. Scarlett rose from the table and came to hug Gigi, smoothing her hair back from her face and kissing her forehead. Ben, Scarlett, Gigi and Link woke up early to haul the last of their belongings to the Spirit. The Tully's and Julio accompanied them and there was a lot of hugging and crying and promises to visit again soon.

"Thank you again for your help, Julio," Link said, shaking his hand. He looked startled when Julio hugged him.

"Take good care of her, Lincoln."

Link cracked a smile and nodded. Ben and Julio shook hands while Scarlett endured an enthusiastic hug from Evelyn. Then the Silver Spirit raised anchor and set sail. Link leaned against the railing and looked out to the horizon, his expression as excited as a kid on Christmas morning. Gigi wrapped her arms around his waist.

"Ready to go see the world, Link Lincoln?"

He looked down at her and grinned. "I'd say so."

"Your days of treasure hunting are over?" she teased. He rested his forehead against hers.

"I don't need to hunt any more treasure," he said. "I already found everything I ever need or want."

She laughed softly, her cheeks growing warm. She tilted her head back and kissed him. She could feel him smiling against her lips and knew this was the start of the best adventure of her life.