Status: Complete.

Uncharted Waters

Chapter Seven

Gigi beamed as she watched Ben and Link talk. Link still seemed nervous, still tripping over his words slightly.

"I grew up in Boston," he said. "I went to Harvard for my law degree, because my father has a firm. But I was always more interested in history and exploring."

"Understandable," Ben nodded. "After I attended Oxford I joined the Royal Navy and was one of their top historians and linguists. They sent me all over the world to decipher and authenticate things."

"Really?" Link looks fascinated. "That's amazing. What sorts of things?"

Ben launched into his tales of his life in the Navy and Link hung on every word, seeming to finally come out of his shell.

"You should join us for dinner tonight," Ben said.

"Oh, I couldn't possibly impose," Link said, flushing and looking awkward again.

"You're not imposing at all. I'm inviting you," Ben said, smiling slightly. "If I'm going to take you on as an apprentice you need to meet my wife first, since she is the ship's captain."

"Wait...are you saying you want me as an apprentice?" Link stumbled to a halt, eyes comically wide behind his glasses.

"It's not quite official yet," Ben said. "But we're going to be here in Port Aris for a couple more weeks. You can come by if you wish, work with me in Simon's library since he's kind enough to let me take it over every time we visit. When it's time for us to leave if you're still interested and I feel you'll be a good fit then you can come with us. Since I've pretty much taught everything I know to Gigi already, I could use a new apprentice to impart wisdom to."

Ben smiled fondly at her and planted a kiss on the top of her head.

"Daddy," she laughed. "See, Link, I told you to trust me on this. Please, stay and have dinner with us?" She smiled softly and Link was back to his blushing, awkward self.

"Well I suppose I can...if it's not too much trouble."

"Excellent, it's settled then. Now, I need to gather this bouquet for your mother so Gigi, darling, go let the cook know there will be an extra person dining with us tonight."

"Of course, Daddy. Come on, Link. I'll give you the tour of the house."

She grabbed his arm and yet again tugged him along with her, leaving her father humming to himself as he gathered Scarlett's bouquet.

"Your father is a very interesting man," Link remarked.

"He's wonderful, even if he is a little bit ridiculous sometimes. I knew he would like you."

"I don't wish to be rude, Gemma, but...why did you bring me to meet him? Why do you want me to be his apprentice?"

"This team of yours is obviously wasting your potential and talent. You're smart and charming and if you want to see the world then that's exactly what you should do. My parents and their crew are wonderful. They'll appreciate you the way you deserve."

"But you just met me," Link said in disbelief.

"I'm a very good judge of character," Gigi said simply. After informing the Tully's chef that there would be one more place setting needed that night, she led Link around the rest of the house, telling him stories about the trouble she, Madi and Benji had gotten into over the years. When dinner was ready Gigi brought Link into the dining room and announced him as if he were visiting royalty, making him blush yet again.

"This is Lincoln," Gigi said proudly. "Daddy's thinking about taking him on as an apprentice."

Everyone greeted him politely, and Evelyn didn't even bat an eye but Gigi could feel Scarlett and Madi's eyes boring into her. Ben appeared last, pulling Scarlett out of her chair so that he could bow to her and then drop to one knee to dramatically hand her the roses he had picked.

"For you, my love."

"Ben, you idiot," Scarlett laughed. Ben gave her a quick kiss before they both sat down again.

"Benjamin stop making the rest of us men look bad," Simon said, grinning slightly.

"So, Link. How did you come to be a potential apprentice to my husband?" Scarlett asked.

"Uh, Gemma introduced us," Link replied, shifting restlessly in his seat.

"Did she now?" Scarlett shot her daughter a look but Gigi pretended to be fascinated with her glass of water. Most of the meal consisted of Benji peppering Link with questions. He seemed fascinated by Link's childhood in Boston and his decision to travel with his mysterious team to go exploring. He paid rapt attention as Link talked, and Gigi rolled her eyes. She listened just as eagerly though, enjoying the way Link's eyes seemed to light up when he talked about his dream of seeing the world.

"Thank you for having me," Link said when the last course had been eaten.

"What a polite young man," Evelyn said, shooting a wink Gigi's way.

"Nice moves, you little vixen," Madi whispered, catching Gigi's arm as they all filed out of the dining room.

"What do you mean?" Gigi asked innocently.

"Don't give me the angel eyes, Gigi," Madi laughed. "I know you, remember? You are a devious little thing. I like your style."

"Yes, very smooth," Scarlett added, coming up on her other side. "I'm impressed."

"I didn't just do it because I like him," Gigi insisted. "He really is smart and he and Daddy get along. I'm trying to help him."

"My sweet girl. You're so much like your father." Scarlett shook her head and gave Gigi a hug.

"Link, we usually go for a nice walk on the beach after dinner," Madi spoke up. "Would you like to accompany us?"

"Oh. Well I don't know, I should probably get back..."

"Come with us!" Benji said enthusiastically. Before Link could protest further he was being ushered out of the house by the Tully twins and Gigi. Benji talked animatedly, telling Link about all the scientific things he was into, and boasting that he kept a field journal too.

"You may have some competition," Madi whispered and she and Gigi giggled.

"Benji," Madi called loudly. "I want to find some crab shells. Help me look."

"I'm kind of busy-"

"Come on," Madi said firmly, taking her brother's arm and steering him away at a clipped pace, leaving Gigi and Link to trail slowly behind.

"Your family is really close," Link observed.

Gigi nodded. "All of us, even my actual family back in London. We all came together under strange circumstances, but fate works in mysterious ways, I guess."

"London," Link said. "I've always wanted to see it."

"Well if you become my father's apprentice you will." Gigi stared out over the dusky waves as they walked.

"I love the ocean," she said dreamily. "Especially at night. My mother used to sing me lullabies as she rocked me to sleep, so her voice and the sound of the ocean are what I think of when I think of home. I don't technically have a hometown or anything since I was born on the sea. So I guess the whole ocean is my home." She laughed softly. "Daddy calls me and Mother his sea goddesses."

"I should be getting back," Link said, sounding almost reluctant. "My team will be wondering where I've gone."

"I'll see you tomorrow?" She smiled up at him.

"Yes, I suppose you will. It would be fascinating to work with your father."

"Good." Gigi bounced onto her tiptoes and kissed his cheek. "Sweet dreams, Lincoln Atherton." She giggled softly before stepping back and calling for Madi and Benji.

"Bye, Link!" Benji shouted, waving animatedly. Madi rolled her eyes.

"Do you want to give him a good night kiss, Benji?"

"Shut up, Madi." He scowled. Gigi barely listened to their arguing, casting a last glance over her shoulder at Link. She found her father reading in the library and went to wrap her arms around him.

"So what do you think of Lincoln?" she asked.

"He's something of an oddball but he's definitely sharp. I have a good feeling about him."

"I knew you'd like him. Good night, Daddy."

"Good night princess."

Unable to sleep, Gigi stood out on the balcony of her room and stared out to sea. "I have a good feeling about him, too," she whispered.